Satellite images for 21st August 2007

Bernard Burton

I have had a request from a student for any satellite images for the 21st August 2007. I do keep an archive of all the images I post on my website, but unfortunately I was away between the 18th and 27th August 2007, and am unable to satisfy this request. If anyone on the group also keeps an image archive, do you have any images from the 21st August 2007 covering Europe, in particular, Poland?. The image use will be purely academic, the student is at a Polish University. Many thanks.

R. Alblas

I have an image here, of MSG2, 21 august 2007, UTC 12:00 It's in native format; is that a problem?
Regards,
Rob.

On 29-03-2021 00:00, Bernard Burton via groups.io wrote:
I have had a request from a student for any satellite images for the 21st August 2007. I do keep an archive of all the images I post on my website, but unfortunately I was away between the 18th and 27th August 2007, and am unable to satisfy this request. If anyone on the group also keeps an image archive, do you have any images from the 21st August 2007 covering Europe, in particular, Poland?. The image use will be purely academic, the student is at a Polish University. Many thanks.

Bernard Burton

Hello Rob, That sounds as if it may help, but I am not sure what 'native format' is. Could it be converted to jpeg or gif for example? Or would it have to be read by one of David's programs, like HRPT Reader?  I do have copies of MSG Manager, AVHRR Manager, Geosat Signal and HRPT Reader. Regrads B

R. Alblas

Bernard,
I am not sure about David's programs, but xrit2pic can handle it (after a small update to accept MSG2).
I don't know what exactly will be done with the image; e.g. currently xrit2pic doesn't handle correct calibration of IR images. But it can reproduce jpeg (including false colour).
Tools of Eumetsat can also be used  (of course), i.e., Data Tailor:

https://www.eumetsat.int/data-tailor

These images can be downloaded easily from internet, without need of satellite receiving equipment, after requesting an api key.

For more info see:

http://www.alblas.demon.nl/wsat/software/eds.html

Regards,
Rob.

On 29-03-2021 10:02, Bernard Burton via groups.io wrote:
Hello Rob, That sounds as if it may help, but I am not sure what 'native format' is. Could it be converted to jpeg or gif for example? Or would it have to be read by one of David's programs, like HRPT Reader?  I do have copies of MSG Manager, AVHRR Manager, Geosat Signal and HRPT Reader. Regrads B

Heiko Schellhorn

Hi Bernard

depending which data the student is interrested in it may be worth a try to have a look at NASA earthdata.

https://earthdata.nasa.gov/

I didn't right now have a deeper look which datasets are available but I guess NASA also has MSG data. At least CSR and ASR should be available.

Best

Heiko

[...]
Dipl. Inf. Heiko Schellhorn

University of Bremen Room: NW1-U 2065
Inst. of Environmental Physics Phone: +49(0)421 218 62091
P.O. Box 33 04 40 Fax: +49(0)421 218 62070
D-28334 Bremen Mail: mailto:schell@physik.uni-bremen.de
Germany www:
http://www.iup.uni-bremen.de/~schell
http://www.sciamachy.de
http://www.esa-ghg-cci.org

The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts,
while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
- Charles Bukowski -

Bernard Burton

Thanks to all who responded with helpful information. Regards. Bernard