Topics

Response from TechniSat regarding software update problems.

johnrigsec@...

all,

Please find enclosed e-mail response from TechniSat regarding problems
identified
by Ferdinand and others when using the V.4.2.8 SkyStar software.

Regards,
John Tellick.
RIG.

++++++++++++++++++

Dear sir,

this problem is more or less depending on the used PC, the IRQ sharing and
the IRQ handling of the OS ( ACPI mode)
We always tell our B2B cutomer to assign a unique IRQ to the DVB deveice to
prevent any interferences.
For example during QA the software is tested with multicast data reception on
all OS with more than 10 mbps and we
did not encounter a paket loss during the testings; even during mouse
movements.

In case you do not lose any pakets, I would recommend to use the latest
version 4.2.8, because all support given is valid for that version only.
But in generell it is possible to switch back to an older version. Make sure
all parts of the current installation ( driver, user software) are removed,
before you
are going to install the old software.

Nevertheless I will forward your comment to R&D, just for information.

Regards
M. Weber

Steve Blackmore <steve@...>

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 15:01:48 EDT, you wrote:

this problem is more or less depending on the used PC, the IRQ sharing and
the IRQ handling of the OS ( ACPI mode)
We always tell our B2B cutomer to assign a unique IRQ to the DVB deveice to
prevent any interferences.
Typical excuse for a badly written bit of software, if it can't IRQ
share it has no part calling itself suitable for XP !!!

--
Steve Blackmore

James Brown <james@...>

In message <q70vlvc1iigga259kj7ejoadv693vpfb8g@4ax.com>, Steve Blackmore <steve@pilotltd.net> writes
On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 15:01:48 EDT, you wrote:

this problem is more or less depending on the used PC, the IRQ sharing and
the IRQ handling of the OS ( ACPI mode)
We always tell our B2B cutomer to assign a unique IRQ to the DVB deveice to
prevent any interferences.
Typical excuse for a badly written bit of software, if it can't IRQ
share it has no part calling itself suitable for XP !!!

--
Steve Blackmore
Agreed!
If they think I'm going to try and mess with Windows XP and BIOS's to possibly get an IRQ assigned they've another think coming! The only other manufacturer which I've had problems with like this was with Creative and one of their sound cards.

If they got it to work before - why not now?

James
--
James Brown

James Brown <james@...>

In message <oJ43AZH7M4X$Ew4o@meteosat.freeserve.co.uk>, James Brown <james@meteosat.freeserve.co.uk> writes
[...]

Having said that I notice Windows XP has assigned an PCI IRQ of 10 to my card which isn't being shared at that level with anything else. I wonder what others have got?

James
--
James Brown

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

Having said that I notice Windows XP has assigned an PCI IRQ of 10
to my card which isn't being shared at that level with anything
else. I wonder what others have got?

James,

Pentium III system - Gigabyte GA-6BXC (from memory) motherboard.

DVB card has IRQ 11, shared with Netgear FA310TX network card and
Intel PCI-to-USB Universal Host Controller chip. :-(

IRQ 10 and 12 apaer to be free.

Alan Sewards <alan.sewards@...>

My computer has assigned IRQ 11 to the card, which it shares with the modem,
IEEE1394 card, PCI-USB controller, fast Ethernet, and audio driver. So far,
I have had no problems with the card, even though I have everything running
on a single PC.

Best regards - Alan