reinstalling

Robert Moore

David I am just getting going again after having to do a clean reinstall of my
O/S. Not something I every want to do again! I hoped I might be able to save my
GSS and MDM folders so that when I reinstalled the software I would have all my
settings available.
this, it seems, was wishful thinking. Anyhow I downloaded latest versions of
both programs plus AutoGet. But MDM is not working; it quickly slips into a
'Program not responding' mode and even in its earliest minutes before this
happens it is not holding the settings I am entering (file locations etc)
Any thoughts on this?

Robert

------------------------------
Robert Moore
tel and fax: 44 (0) 1352 714456

a_van_belle

--- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, Robert Moore <rsmoore@l...> wrote:
.... Anyhow I downloaded latest versions of
both programs plus AutoGet. But MDM is not working; it quickly
slips into a
'Program not responding' mode and even in its earliest minutes
before this
happens it is not holding the settings I am entering (file
locations etc)
Any thoughts on this?

Robert
Robert did you install the full version first (about 1.8 Mb,
automatic install) before copying the latest Beta version executable
over it ?

MDM saves settings in the registry so you must have administrator
rights added to your account (W2K and XP).

Hope this helps.

Greetings,
Arne van Belle

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

--- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, Robert Moore <rsmoore@l...> wrote:
But MDM is not working; it quickly slips into a 'Program not
responding' mode and even in its earliest minutes before this
happens it is not holding the settings I am entering (file locations
etc)
Any thoughts on this?

Robert
To be honest, no. You are the first person to report that. The
settings are held in the "current user" section of the registry, so
should work whether you are logged in as an Admin or a regular
user. Possibly you may need to be logged in as Admin for the
initial installtion.

Perhaps delete the registry branch:
HKCU&#92;Software&#92;David J Taylor&#92;MsgDataManager

and re-enter everything? Including the licence code.

I think you _must_ get the program to save its settings correctly
before proceeding.

Robert Moore

David I followed your instructions and removed registry entries, then
re-installed using a freshly downloaded version (not the beta, _pace_ Arne),
re-entered registration key. Entered file location data, hit Start, got the
green light and the yellow but no data, then it went into 'Note responding'
mode again.

Robert

Quoting David Taylor <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk>:

[...]

Yahoo! Groups Links

------------------------------
Professor Robert Moore
Department of Sociology, Social Policy
and Social Work Studies
The University of Liverpool
Eleanor Rathbone Building
Bedford Street South
Liverpool
L69 7ZA

tel and fax: 44 (0) 1352 714456

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

--- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, Robert Moore <rsmoore@l...> wrote:
David I followed your instructions and removed registry entries,
then re-installed using a freshly downloaded version (not the beta,
_pace_ Arne), re-entered registration key. Entered file location
data, hit Start, got the green light and the yellow but no data,
then it went into 'Note responding' mode again.

Robert
Is the program now holding its settings, if you close it before
pressing the start button?

From a DOS prompt, can you do a DIR of the location with the
Tellique received files?

There are some FAQs on the Web which you might want to check....

Robert Moore

Quoting David Taylor <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk>:

--- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, Robert Moore <rsmoore@l...> wrote:
David I followed your instructions and removed registry entries,
then re-installed using a freshly downloaded version (not the beta,
_pace_ Arne), re-entered registration key. Entered file location
data, hit Start, got the green light and the yellow but no data,
then it went into 'Note responding' mode again.

Robert
Is the program now holding its settings, if you close it before
pressing the start button?
Yes

From a DOS prompt, can you do a DIR of the location with the
Tellique received files?
Yes

There are some FAQs on the Web which you might want to check....
I'll have a look

Robert

Yahoo! Groups Links

------------------------------
Professor Robert Moore
Department of Sociology, Social Policy
and Social Work Studies
The University of Liverpool
Eleanor Rathbone Building
Bedford Street South
Liverpool
L69 7ZA

tel and fax: 44 (0) 1352 714456

Robert Moore

David I found nothing to help in the FAQs on the web site. I have now tried running MDM on my receiver PC - where I obviously don't want it permanently - and it it is fine there!
But still the 'not responding error' on my main PC where I have recently re-installed Windows XP Professional.
Does this get us any further forward?
Robert

--On 12 February 2004 12:41 +0000 David Taylor <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

[...]

University of Liverpool
L69 7BZ

44 (0) 1352 714456

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

--- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, Robert Moore <rsmoore@l...> wrote:
David I found nothing to help in the FAQs on the web site. I have
now tried running MDM on my receiver PC - where I obviously don't
want it permanently - and it it is fine there!
But still the 'not responding error' on my main PC where I have
recently re-installed Windows XP Professional.
Does this get us any further forward?
Robert
Not sure. What precisely is the content of the "Received files
location" box? You did set up the file chare with full access, I
suppose?

BTW: this might be more appropriate continued on the SatSignal group.

--- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, Robert Moore <rsmoore@l...> wrote:
David I found nothing to help in the FAQs on the web site. I have
now tried running MDM on my receiver PC - where I obviously don't
want it permanently - and it it is fine there!

Don't forget that Arne van Belle quite happily runs the MSG Data
Manager on the same PC as his DVB card, and he uses the
MsgNotify.bat command file to transfer data to his Processing PC at
the end of a scan cycle. All processing is carried out on the
Processing PC, and there is no segment loss on the Receiver PC.

So that might be an alternative way of working. I know that when
Arne gets some time he plans to publish details of his technique.
He takes care with the setup of the Receiver PC, choice of
components etc.