Topics

RAMDisk.

geojohnt@...

David,

You recently started a discussion on this group regarding which is the best RAMDisk available currently.
This has prompted me to ask, having thought about it for some time now, as to whether one should be using RAMdisk (again) these days with increased data.

I still have my original RAMDISK (Z:) of 997 MB 'in place' but unused.

What made me wonder is that I use a single computer for reception and processing receiving BS and HVS-1.
I'm running AVHRR Manager, 2 x GOES ABI, 2 x Metop Manager, MSG Animator, 4 x MSG Data Manager, Java - SRI Controller.

I attach a copy of my Task Manager Performance screen shot but it looks to me that my computer is not stressed?
However, when I click 'Open last saved with GeoSatSignal' MSG 4 Manager HR image, it takes 33 - 34 seconds for the remapped imaged to appear in GSS.
I realise there are a lot of calculations to perform but I'm sure it didn't take that long some years ago on this computer with fewer SatSignal programmes running and the level of data we have today to deal with.

CPU Intel i5-4690K @ 35 GHz
RAM 16GB.
Window 10 64 bit.
Separate fairly high powered graphics card..
2 monitors.

Everything seems to run OK so there is 'no problem.'
As is being discussed on another thread, I get some Tellicast Missed Packets before FEC - though not that many over an extended period - but not many of those are FEC Recovered Packets.
Though I never have (appear to have) gaps in my images.

And I do get some SR1 Bad Frame Count/s and Bad Packet Count/s over a period.
SR1 SNR is mostly between 12.5 and 13.00 dB in fair weather.

And I get Tellicast Status warnings 'could not join ..... missing key' every now and again.

So, reinstate my RAMdisk?
If so, BS or HVS-1 channels?

Regards,
John

[...]

====================================

John,

Briefly, I'm setting up a new system and going to try it without a RAMdisk to start with. It has 32 GB memory, so space for a RAMdisk if needed. I still haven't decided whether to add HVS-2 to is as I don't use the data and I have another PC which can monitor HVS-2 signal level and TelliCast losses.

The quality of the graphics card is irrelevant for my software.

The delay in Open with GeoSatSignal is caused by a Windows-10 interaction, and can be resolved with the beta version:

https://www.satsignal.eu/software/beta.htm

The Task Manager may not tell the whole story as it may be an interaction between disk I/O and Network I/O which causes the error messages, although I have seen "missing key" when there have been momentary drops in signal level.

As I'm building this new PC from scratch (and retiring two old ones) I'll be using the most recent TelliCast, although whether that will make a significant difference (2.14.5 to 2.14.6) I rather doubt. I have seen older PCs (2010/2013) affected quite noticeably by the patches needed to bypass the problems used by the Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities.

I would suggest updating the TelliCast software, and noting the new buffering parameters. Normally I would replace the TelliCast.exe and Licence.ini files. Keep backups of the working versions just in case.

geojohnt@...

David,

Thanks for your detailed reply.

I'll try the beta version of GSS.
Opening a full length pass of Metop from AVHRR Manger into HRPT Manager runs quickly - OK, it hasn't got to remap the differing channel resolutions.

You raise/prompt another point, the 'new' Tellicast and add to that, the new EKU - which I understood(?) is more able to cope with lots (and even more in the future) of data?

I may just try - you know me - to update to the latest Tellicast or leave it till I get the new EKU.

+++++++++++++++++

Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@...
Twitter: @gm8arv

+++++++++++++++++++++

[...]

=====================================

John,

Do try the beta GeoSatSignal - it's much faster to launch.

I think many of us have seen eToken issues, time-outs where TelliCast may or may not be automatically restarted. Although not strictly comparable, I'll be interested to see whether I get fewer of those. perhaps if it's a faster device there will be fewer time-outs.

Please let's know how you get on!

> Briefly, I'm setting up a new system and going to try it without a RAMdisk
> to start with.  It has 32 GB memory, so space for a RAMdisk if needed.

David and John

Though I promoted the use of RAM-Disks (where you have to move the files to HDD by script!) for a couple of years I now can well do without that.
This is GNU/Linux but since I have completely changed to 64Bit including SACSrv EKU driver I noticed that the client has lost most of its sensitivity
to I/O-Waits from HDD not fast enough to take tmp/received. I have now tested a RAID0 system with two cheap 2TB (CMR !!) disks from Toshiba.
This gives me I/O of 360MB/s for tmp/received even on my 11 years old HW with SATA II connections only. Up to now it works well with 8GB RAM.

Have a look at receiver Io here:

http://208-118-153-5.dyn.cable.fcom.ch:81

Best regards
Ernst

geojohnt@...

David,

You've raised another point.
'eToken issues, time-outs.'

I'm presuming you mean that when the SNR drops way down and both link margins are negative as in a 'thunder storm,' Tellicast is stuck at red and does not start passing data again?

I don't get this - thankfully.
The day before yesterday a fairly dark cloud came over - not a towering 'thunder cell' and my SR1 SNR started to drop even before the rain which wasn't torrential when it came.
My SNR went down to 2.5 dB for a while and both BS and HVS-1 link margins went negative.
But as soon as the LM's were in positive territory again data started flowing and TC icons went 'white.'

I've said this before but I seem to be experiencing far more weather related signal loss than previous years with the same 1 m dish and Inverto Black Ultra LNB's.
My clear sky TP 1 SNR ranges from 12.6 to 13.00 dB.
And don't forget I have a rain shield over the LNB which is good for getting on for +1.00 dB SNR with no rain drops on the LNB face.

Or am I just thinking about the days of pre HVS-1, with BS only?
Mind you, dare I say, we had quite a 'bit more transmitted signal strength' in those days.

++++++++++++++++++++++

[...]

Hello Ernst,

Thanks for the reminder regarding HDD CMR preference when adding/renewing hard drives.

And thanks for the link to your EUMETCast system information and logging page..

Impressive I thought, but as you will have already have discovered I'm a bit of a 'plug and play' guy and computers, software you have to configure, and understanding the 'inner workings' of a computer leave me cold.
Though I've been messing around with satellite TV C-band Ghorizont since the early 80's then ECS, Astra etc, etc.
And indeed Meteosat WEFAX and NOAA APT since the late 80's.
But then analogue TV and WXSAT was fairly 'easy' in those days?

Today I feel lost - 'old dog, new tricks?'

Best wishes,
John.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

> Briefly, I'm setting up a new system and going to try it without a RAMdisk
> to start with.  It has 32 GB memory, so space for a RAMdisk if needed.

David and John

Though I promoted the use of RAM-Disks (where you have to move the files to HDD by script!) for a couple of years I now can well do without that.
This is GNU/Linux but since I have completely changed to 64Bit including SACSrv EKU driver I noticed that the client has lost most of its sensitivity
to I/O-Waits from HDD not fast enough to take tmp/received. I have now tested a RAID0 system with two cheap 2TB (CMR !!) disks from Toshiba.
This gives me I/O of 360MB/s for tmp/received even on my 11 years old HW with SATA II connections only. Up to now it works well with 8GB RAM.

Have a look at receiver Io here:

http://208-118-153-5.dyn.cable.fcom.ch:81

Best regards

David and John

Though I promoted the use of RAM-Disks (where you have to move the files to HDD by script!) for a couple of years I now can well do without that.
This is GNU/Linux but since I have completely changed to 64Bit including SACSrv EKU driver I noticed that the client has lost most of its sensitivity
to I/O-Waits from HDD not fast enough to take tmp/received. I have now tested a RAID0 system with two cheap 2TB (CMR !!) disks from Toshiba.
This gives me I/O of 360MB/s for tmp/received even on my 11 years old HW with SATA II connections only. Up to now it works well with 8GB RAM.

Have a look at receiver Io here:

http://208-118-153-5.dyn.cable.fcom.ch:81

Best regards
Ernst
================================

Thanks for your comments, Ernst. I'm going to experiment with a RAMdisk-less system and see what the results are with disks that are not several years old, the most recent TelliCast client & eToken (my goodness, it's BRIGHT) and with a faster six-core processor. Not, high -end, but not the lowest specification either.

I have one system at the moment taking HVS-1 with no RAMdisk (where a subset of the data is used), and a different system taking HVS-2 again with no RAMdisk (but the data is deleted quickly).

My compromise may be just to run BAS and HVS-1, as I don't use the HVS-2 data.

The disks are a major contributing factor now (perhaps they always were?) so getting the right balance of I/O across spindles is the optimisation (where possible).

You've raised another point.
'eToken issues, time-outs.'

I'm presuming you mean that when the SNR drops way down and both link margins are negative as in a 'thunder storm,' Tellicast is stuck at red and does not start passing data again?
[]

No, John. Where the TelliCast client restarts after an eToken timeout error. You can extract there from the log files using Ernst's scripts or whatever.