-----Original Message-----
From: MSG-1@groups.io On Behalf Of David J Taylor
GM8ARV ?????????????? ???? via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, 06 August, 2020 14:04
To: MSG-1 group <MSG-1@groups.io>
Subject: [MSG-1] RAMdisk?

Any current thoughts on:

- brand of RAMdisk software to use for Windows-10?

- amount of RAMdisk to use for:

BS alone?
BS + HVS-1?

I'm moving from a couple of old PCs to a more modern one.

Thanks,
David
================
David,

I have stopped using RAM disk software on all machines here since the start
of Windows 10 without any noticeable adverse effect.
All PCs run i7 and have 16 GB RAM or more and the BS, HVS-1 and HVS-2 run on
different HDs and no SSD is involved in Eumetcast issues. Maybe this is not
the standard but in this configuration I do not see any use for the RAM
disk.

Cheers,
Ferdinand

Under GNU/Linux BS + HVS-1 + HVS-2 works fine on a 3GB RAM-Disk when emtied every 2 minutes
with my script mvmsg (that does also keep track of broken tmps). The good news is that the pure amd64
client with the new EKU software is far less affected by IO-Waits. It works fine with tmp + received on a separate
even entry level WD Blue 1TB data HDD. All I can repeat: BEWARE of HDDs with SMR recording. This rather
new crap is unusable for EUMETCast. Stick to CMR recording (manufacturers do now begin to indicate that
in the latest HDD datasheets). Whether the Windows TelliCast client showed the same improvements recently
I cannot know. I experiment now with 2 Toshiba P300 2TB (CMR) disks in software RAID0. This gives me
4TB with 360MB/s access even on my 11 years old (SATA II, 8GB RAM) PCs for tmp + received. With an
UEFI Bios I could even use GPT and take 2 x Toshiba P 300 3TB (CMR) for an affordable fast 6TB device.

No idea whether something similar (software RAID) is possible under Windows 10.

Best regards
Ernst

Graham Woolf

Hi David

I use SoftPerfect https://www.softperfect.com/products/ramdisk/ been using it for years

I use 4Gb for my Ramdisks but I do have 128Gb of Ram

Regards

Graham

Hartmut Schulla

Hi David!
I don't use any RAM-Disk. New Tellicast Clients buffer the input in main memory by itself.
Regards
Hartmut

- brand of RAMdisk software to use for Windows-10?

- amount of RAMdisk to use for:

BS alone?
BS + HVS-1?

I'm moving from a couple of old PCs to a more modern one.

Thanks,

Hi David!
I don't use any RAM-Disk. New Tellicast Clients buffer the input in main memory by itself.
Regards
Hartmut
====================================

Windows or Linux, Hartmut?

Hartmut Schulla

Windows 64Bit

I don't use any RAM-Disk. New Tellicast Clients buffer the input in main memory by itself.
Regards
Hartmut

Windows or Linux, Hartmut?

All

On Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 07:40 AM, Ernst Lobsiger wrote:
No idea whether something similar (software RAID) is possible under Windows 10.
O.K. software RAID seems to exist under Windows as well. If someone wants to try that he should have 2 identical HDDs though.

https://www.techradar.com/how-to/how-to-combine-multiple-hard-drives-in-raid-0-using-windows-10s-storage-spaces-feature