PyTROLL/SatPy Starter Kit V3.0

Daniele Guardigli

Hello,

I'm m trying to follow the well done Starter Kit readme file but, at the moment of launching MSG3.py script, I get the attached result.
What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Daniele Guardigli

Ferdinand Valk

Daniele,

As the last lines of your debug file indicates, Area "seviri_rss" is not found.

If you did all in accordance with the instructions, you will have an additional areas.yaml in C:\EMCtools\pppconfig. This one contains the seviri_RSS area you defined in your script.

If it doesn’t see this, most likely you omitted point 5 b) from the howto instructions in which you must set the environment variable to this ppp directory.

Please check again.

Kind regards,

Ferdinand

Sent: Friday, 22 January, 2021 06:43
To: MSG-1@groups.io
Subject: [MSG-1] PyTROLL/SatPy Starter Kit V3.0

d

Hello,

I'm m trying to follow the well done Starter Kit readme file but, at the moment of launching MSG3.py script, I get the attached result.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Daniele Guardigli

Daniele Guardigli

Thank you Ferdinand, you solved my problem. Thanks to all of you I got my first picture!
When I try to run GOES16 script I have the attached result.
What can it be?

Il giorno ven 22 gen 2021 alle ore 08:44 Ferdinand Valk <fvalk@...> ha scritto:

Daniele,

As the last lines of your debug file indicates, Area "seviri_rss" is not found.

If you did all in accordance with the instructions, you will have an additional areas.yaml in C:\EMCtools\pppconfig. This one contains the seviri_RSS area you defined in your script.

If it doesn’t see this, most likely you omitted point 5 b) from the howto instructions in which you must set the environment variable to this ppp directory.

Please check again.

Kind regards,

Ferdinand

Sent: Friday, 22 January, 2021 06:43
Subject: [MSG-1] PyTROLL/SatPy Starter Kit V3.0

d

Hello,

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Daniele Guardigli

--
Daniele Guardigli

Ernst Lobsiger

Daniele,

what 'area' do you want to display?
Do you have the GOES16 files you are asking for?
Enable satpy debugging as described in the HOWTO!

Regards,
Ernst

Christian Peters

Hi PyTROLL/SatPy Starter Kit users,

just for info: I installed the PyTROLL/SatPy Starter Kit V3.0 today successfully on a Raspberry Pi 4, 4GB RAM on MicroSD card. 
I had to solve some minor problems, but I’m amazed what is possible, even with the 4GB version. MSG4, Him8 and GOES16 full disk works, even MSG4 eurol area. I even could do a stacked NOAA-20 picture, all in around 3-5min per image.
S3A/B is not possible at the moment with 4GB ram. Maybe you have to install the system on an USB HD and activate swap to solve this issue or you switch to the 8GB RAM version. 

You really get a tiny little satellite image processor in combination with the PyTROLL/SatPy Starter Kit V3.0. 

I hope some native English speaker give the PyTROLL/SatPy Starter Kit V3.0 a try and we maybe will read something in next GEO Quaterly…? 

Regards,

Christian

See attached pics:

Am 22.01.2021 um 22:45 schrieb Ernst Lobsiger via groups.io <ernst.lobsiger@...>:

Daniele,

what 'area' do you want to display?
Do you have the GOES16 files you are asking for?
Enable satpy debugging as described in the HOWTO!

Regards,
Ernst

Ferdinand Valk

And all on a Raspberry Pi? Absolutely brilliant Christian. Thanks for sharing.

Ferdinand

From: MSG-1@groups.io On Behalf Of Christian Peters via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, 23 January, 2021 13:57
Subject: Re: [MSG-1] PyTROLL/SatPy Starter Kit V3.0

just for info: I installed the PyTROLL/SatPy Starter Kit V3.0 today successfully on a Raspberry Pi 4, 4GB RAM on MicroSD card. 

I had to solve some minor problems, but I’m amazed what is possible, even with the 4GB version. MSG4, Him8 and GOES16 full disk works, even MSG4 eurol area. I even could do a stacked NOAA-20 picture, all in around 3-5min per image.

S3A/B is not possible at the moment with 4GB ram. Maybe you have to install the system on an USB HD and activate swap to solve this issue or you switch to the 8GB RAM version. 

You really get a tiny little satellite image processor in combination with the PyTROLL/SatPy Starter Kit V3.0. 

I hope some native English speaker give the PyTROLL/SatPy Starter Kit V3.0 a try and we maybe will read something in next GEO Quaterly…? 

Regards,

Christian

See attached pics://snip

R. Alblas

I have currently a PI4 8M in use constantly getting native data from Eumetsat internet (Python script), and creating/updating a multi-channel composite movie (using xrit2pic in commandline). Works very fine. I'll try satpy too.
Christian, how do you get the data? Tellicast doesn't work on ARM processors,as far as I know, so you need to use a "normal" PC for receiving, I assume? And you need ARM compiled Wavelet decompression software too, for MSG.

For Python scripts (based on Eumetsat examples) see:

http://www.alblas.demon.nl/wsat/software/eci.html

Rob.

On 23-01-2021 15:56, Ferdinand Valk wrote:

Ferdinand

From: MSG-1@groups.io On Behalf Of Christian Peters via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, 23 January, 2021 13:57
Subject: Re: [MSG-1] PyTROLL/SatPy Starter Kit V3.0

Regards,

Christian

See attached pics://snip

Christian Peters

@Ferdinand Yes, all done on the RPI 4. It’s amazing. And we should take in mind that the Pytroll/Satpy package is made for scientific computing and not optimized for low power machines like a Raspberry Pi 4.  

@Rob Yes, Tellicast doesn’t provide an ARM client. 
Interesting to get the data via internet. Btu O think get it vi satellite is more sportive.
I run two Linux receivers and did a quick connect of the Pi to one of the receivers via cifs (samba). Works nice. Files are read direct from the receiver disk. I compiled the Wavelet decompression software on the ARM, runs flawless - the scripts from Ernst use this compiled version. 
You could speed up the processing if you do the Wavelet decompression on the receiver, even uncompressing the .bz2?!

I would choose the 8GB version if some think about buying a new PI4 … or search for a 64bit secondhand computer to dive into Pytroll.

Regards,

Christian 

Am 23.01.2021 um 16:12 schrieb R. Alblas <sat@...>:

I have currently a PI4 8M in use constantly getting native data from Eumetsat internet (Python script), and creating/updating a multi-channel composite movie (using xrit2pic in commandline). Works very fine. I'll try satpy too.
Christian, how do you get the data? Tellicast doesn't work on ARM processors,as far as I know, so you need to use a "normal" PC for receiving, I assume? And you need ARM compiled Wavelet decompression software too, for MSG.

Rob.

Ferdinand

From: MSG-1@groups.io On Behalf Of Christian Peters via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, 23 January, 2021 13:57
To: MSG-1@groups.io
Subject: Re: [MSG-1] PyTROLL/SatPy Starter Kit V3.0

Regards,

Christian

See attached pics://snip

Markus Kempf

years ago, I asked Eumetsat for an ARM version of the Tellicast software and got a negative reply, but they said they would consider it. Now ARM is absolutely mainstream, with Apple adopting the architecture for their machines, so there is some hope. A RPI4 has more cpu power than Ernst's oldtimer PCs and if somebody would make use of the GPU for some processing it could really shine. IO is the weak point, but an external 1TB USB3 SSD (80€) will be good enough for most purposes.

Markus

Am 23.01.2021 um 17:22 schrieb Christian Peters via groups.io:

@Ferdinand Yes, all done on the RPI 4. It’s amazing. And we should take in mind that the Pytroll/Satpy package is made for scientific computing and not optimized for low power machines like a Raspberry Pi 4.  

Interesting to get the data via internet. Btu O think get it vi satellite is more sportive.
I run two Linux receivers and did a quick connect of the Pi to one of the receivers via cifs (samba). Works nice. Files are read direct from the receiver disk. I compiled the Wavelet decompression software on the ARM, runs flawless - the scripts from Ernst use this compiled version. 
You could speed up the processing if you do the Wavelet decompression on the receiver, even uncompressing the .bz2?!

I would choose the 8GB version if some think about buying a new PI4 … or search for a 64bit secondhand computer to dive into Pytroll.

Regards,

Christian 

Rob.

Ferdinand

Regards,

Christian

R. Alblas

The reason for me using the native format is that I have now  2 home's, I am mostly in my home without receiver.
To get it from satelliet is maybe more 'sportive', yes, but even more sportive if you receive it from the actual weather satellites... ;-)
Nice thing of a RPI is that it is very low power (max. 15W, mostly much lower, waiting for new data). So it would be nice if Tellicast also works on RPI; the receiver PC is the one running constantly, processing maybe now and then.
With the native format from internet I can just let my RP run full time, and can show results on the same RPI or another PC (full data processing done on RPI).
Indeed best is to buy the RPI with biggest amount of memory, i.e. 8 GB, it's just 20 euro's more than 4 GB.

And nice thing of the native format is that you can get old data just as easy. That way I was able to create the 3 (now nearly 4)-month A-68A movie.

Rob.

On 23-01-2021 17:44, Markus Kempf wrote:

years ago, I asked Eumetsat for an ARM version of the Tellicast software and got a negative reply, but they said they would consider it. Now ARM is absolutely mainstream, with Apple adopting the architecture for their machines, so there is some hope. A RPI4 has more cpu power than Ernst's oldtimer PCs and if somebody would make use of the GPU for some processing it could really shine. IO is the weak point, but an external 1TB USB3 SSD (80€) will be good enough for most purposes.

Markus

Am 23.01.2021 um 17:22 schrieb Christian Peters via groups.io:

Regards,

Christian 

Rob.

Ferdinand

Regards,

Christian

Ernst Lobsiger

On Sat, Jan 23, 2021 at 08:43 AM, Markus Kempf wrote:
years ago, I asked Eumetsat for an ARM version of the Tellicast software and got a negative reply, but they said they would consider it.
Markus,

as you know, there is no free lunch. And especially Open Source software doesn't work by just "asking" for something.
I have already fixed a couple of things in drivers for Linux and Christian has also tested the RASPI with a TBS-5925 as
router. Unfortunately he always had too much lost packets and we found no cure. TelliCast is COTS software of Newtec
and EUMETSAT has little influence whether or not Newtec makes an ARM version available. And as you remember
EUMETSAT already struggles to have a working set of GNU/Linux scripts available. So you might have to dream on.
BTW and IIRC you wanted to make a systemd ready set of TelliCast scripts. Did I miss the publication of those ;-) ?

Regards,
Ernst