Pytroll/Satpy Metop composite

Daniele Guardigli

Hello,

did anyone of you make a script for Metop composite? And anything for Noaa19 (single pass or composite)?

Thanks.

Daniele Guardigli

Ferdinand Valk

Daniele,

I understood that you have started up to work with pytroll/satpy based on the HowTo version 3 from Ernst.

In that case you have the basic scripts for Metop and NOAA20 in the LEOscripts folder.

Please check and if in doubt, let us know.

Cheers,

Ferdinand

did anyone of you make a script for Metop composite? And anything for Noaa19 (single pass or composite)?

Thanks.

Daniele Guardigli

Daniele Guardigli

Yes, I started to work and the starter kit is simply wonderful. I'm using the LEO e and GEO scripts adapted for my coordinates. I was wondering if there's a script (like noaa20 and suomi) for metop (A-B or C) composite of the day (or night). Also something regarding Noaa19.

Thanks for reply Ferdinand

--
Daniele Guardigli

Christian Peters

Daniele,

strange, all sats you called are covered by Ernst starter kit!? See screenshot…

Regards,

Christian

Am 05.02.2021 um 19:31 schrieb Daniele Guardigli <daniele.guardigli@...>:

[...]

As you can see from your screenshot there isn't any Metop-stack. I'm not able (for my poor python knowledge) to make it by myself. :(

Il giorno ven 5 feb 2021 alle ore 19:38 Christian Peters via groups.io <hctpeters=yahoo.com@groups.io> ha scritto:
[...]

ah…sorry…indeed, there is no stacked Metop script, you are right.
Maybe Ernst will add one if he has time for one Metop sat and we can adapt this for the other two…?
But we already have NOAA-20 and NPP what is quite nice. :-)

[...]

I attach two images, one from Metop-C night and one of Metop-B day. Those are made with the scripts in your LEOscript folder. You are supposed to have that too, but maybe you mean something else.

As far as Noaa19 is concerned: I haven’t bothered about it as it is from the previous generation of satellites.

Ferdinand

did anyone of you make a script for Metop composite? And anything for Noaa19 (single pass or composite)?

Thanks.

Daniele Guardigli

--

Daniele Guardigli

Ferdinand Valk

OK, so indeed you were talking about something else than I understood. I can have a look at it tomorrow. Should be quite straightforward.

Ferdinand

did anyone of you make a script for Metop composite? And anything for Noaa19 (single pass or composite)?

Thanks.

Daniele Guardigli

--

Daniele Guardigli

Ferdinand Valk

Daniele/others,

I encountered one complication for the Metop stacked passes. In the single pass version the avhrr_l1b_eps.yaml reader accepts the bz2 file type, however for the multi-pass it expects uncompressed files instead. I could not yet find out why that is.

For proof of concept I uncompressed a day worth of Metop-B data and then the script completes correctly (obviously adapt this to your local paths).

Attached is both the Metop script and a stacked eurol image.

Ernst,

Do you know why there is a behavioral difference in avhrr_l1b_eps.yaml between single and multi-pass?

Cheers,

Ferdinand

OK, so indeed you were talking about something else than I understood. I can have a look at it tomorrow. Should be quite straightforward.

Ferdinand

did anyone of you make a script for Metop composite? And anything for Noaa19 (single pass or composite)?

Thanks.

Daniele Guardigli

--

Daniele Guardigli

Ernst Lobsiger

On Sun, Feb 7, 2021 at 04:17 AM, Ferdinand Valk wrote:

Ernst,

Do you know why there is a behavioral difference in avhrr_l1b_eps.yaml between single and multi-pass?

Cheers,

Ferdinand

Ferdinand,

The reader only takes decompressed files. The single pass version decompresses bestfiles[].
For your multipass version you have to decompress goodfiles[]. You must add very few lines:

# Get useful info back from timmax
dt = datetime.fromtimestamp(timmax)
orbmax = orb.get_orbit_number(dt)
telmax = dt.strftime('%H:%M UTC')
tfname = dt.strftime('%H%M')

## ------------------------------- BEGIN STUFF MISSING
# Decompress all goodfiles found
for n in range (0, len(goodfiles)):
    filename = goodfiles[n][offset:-4]
    cmdstr = toodrp + '/EMCtools/exefiles/7za x -so ' + goodfiles[n] + ' > ' + filename
    goodfiles[n] = filename
    os.system(cmdstr)
## ------------------------------- END STUFF MISSING

# The blend function actually stacks the passes one after the other

numpass = 0

Ferdinand Valk

Thanks Ernst.

As usual sloppy reading from my side. Your commented line in the single pass version clearly indicated:

# Decompress all n bestfiles found.

Should have triggered me...

The adapted version now works with normal bz2 files. I’ll post it for others to change it to own versions for other Metop sats and/or night versions.

Btw, finally snow has arrived here and the heated dish can serve its purpose...

Cheers,

Ferdinand

//snipped