Topics

PuTTY telnet not opening.

geojohnt@...

David,

Thanks for you comments.

I hadn't changed the two leads connecting the SR1 to the PC - Control to a USB port and Management to
an Ethernet port.
Same ports for several years.

I clicked 'something' in the PuTTY programme settings which has caused the problem.

I have 2 PuTTY desktop icons - PuTTY SR1 telnet and PuTTY SR1 USB.
If I recall correctly the USB one opened as a black screen and you had to type in a 0 (zero)
or 0 enter and the programme started.

That I have tried configuring it for COM1 - it opens with a black screen - type in a 0 (0 appears) but nothing
happens. press enter, nothing happens except green curser moves down.
You can type telnet, which appears, but nothing happens.
Press enter and the green cursed moves down a line.

The telnet short cut always opened as a black scree with telnet and password below.
The password being telnet.

Both worked OK (IIRC) but the USB one ceased ages ago meaning I used the telnet one.

Looking at the EUMETSAT SR1 setup guide again - 'higher up' - I think I've found the answer?

You will see from the attached Device Manager image that DM does not include:
Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge (COM3) in the Ports list.

If I recall correctly it did many years ago.
So where is it?

And is that the problem?

David J Taylor

[...]

=================================

John,

It's been so long since I used the serial that I can't be sure, but I think that the port will only show it the device is plugged in and working. There may also be an issue with drivers - you may need to re-install the original Silicon Labs drivers you had. Perhaps on the disk which came with the Ayecka?

But if the Telnet works, why not use it?

geojohnt@...

David,

I forgot to mention I also did a hot reboot of the SR1 this morning.

No, the original 'telnet PuTTY' programme isn't working (along with the 'other' long defunct 'USB version') hence my problem.

When configured for COM3 - which it always was - PuTTY telnet won't open with the warning:
X Unable to connect to COM3. Unable to open serial port.

I'll go back an read the EUMETSAT SR1 EUMETCast setup guide from the beginning.
As I said, I'm pretty sure it's the disappearance of Silicon Labs.

Yes, it is such a long time ago, I too can't remember how I set it up.

++++++++++++++

In a message dated 07/10/2019 12:22:14 GMT Standard Time, gm8arv@... writes:

[...]

=======================================

John,

You mentioned CP210x. Please see:

https://www.silabs.com/products/development-tools/software/usb-to-uart-bridge-vcp-drivers

There is also a telnet program in the Java SR1 console.

geojohnt@...

David,

Thanks for that.
I'm one step ahead of you.

The EUMETSAT SR1 EUMETCast Setup Guide shows that the Silicon Labs CP210x in the Device Manager Ports tree.
My Device Manager used to show it also - and it appears to govern COM3?

I deleted the old Silicon Labs software and downloaded a fresh copy.
I used the installer .exe and a Wizard appeared and said the software had been installed.
However, it hasn't appeared in the Ports tree and the programme still doesn't open.

So I've contacted Ops.

++++++++++++++++

In a message dated 07/10/2019 17:15:38 GMT Standard Time, gm8arv@... writes:

You mentioned CP210x.  Please see:

  https://www.silabs.com/products/development-tools/software/usb-to-uart-bridge-vcp-drivers

There is also a telnet program in the Java SR1 console.

geojohnt@...

David,

😁

Doh!
I didn't know that - and it works!

Thanks.

+++++++++++++++++++

In a message dated 07/10/2019 17:15:38 GMT Standard Time, gm8arv@... writes:

There is also a telnet program in the Java SR1 console.

David J Taylor

David,

????

Doh!
I didn't know that - and it works!

Thanks.

=================================

Telnet in the console - one on Mr Einstein's hidden goodies!

But now you must get the other methods working as well!

Mario Brustia

Ho to all, time ago i have had the same problem.
I had solved resolder (hot air) the uart chip in sr1.
Also,via putty,sr1 can be controlled via Lan (management port).

Sorry but, with Smart phone the italian autocorrector is terrificant with english words!!!

Mario Brustia - IZ1KBP
Pilota SAPR ENAC I.APR 012008 - Operatore ENAC 35270/37066
mario.brustia@...
mario.brustia@...
LOC JN45IK - 45.4167N 8.6667E - QRZ
www.meteotrecate.it