Topics

Pcie cards

Graham Woolf

Hi

I just wondered if there is any advantage  in using a pcie card such as the 6903x over a couple of SR1's apart from the obvious things like less cables etc

At the moment I am running with two SR1's

Regards

Graham

Douglas Deans

On 12/07/2019 16:12, Graham Woolf wrote:
Hi
I just wondered if there is any advantage  in using a pcie card such as the 6903x over a couple of SR1's apart from the obvious things like less cables etc
At the moment I am running with two SR1's
Regards
Graham

Graham a difficult question as some computers may do better on PCIE than network such as SR1.
I run an SR1 and a TBS 6903 which splits the basic service and HVS-1 so that poorer conditions with HVS losses do not affect the basic service. I assume you are doing that at the moment with 2 SR1s. If your SR1s are working well and you do not already have a PCIE card I would leave well alone.
I should also mention I have a dual LNB so two inputs available which would allow me to split basic and HVS-1 across the two tuners of the 6903.
As it is I have a spare tuner on the 6903 for occasional look at HVS-2.

Too much data and not enough time and I am retired !!

Graham Woolf

Hi Douglas

Thanks for the reply

At the moment I have an SR 1 running BAS and HVS-1 and a second SR1 running HVS 2 which may not be ideal

I also have a quad LNB but am only utilising  two of the four inputs so there may be some scope there as well

I do suffer from some packet loss  and am thinking of ways to mitigate this

I am running all this on a single PC which I also do all my work on - however it is quite powerful (an i7 7820x with 128Gb of RAM) and my processor utilisation never really gets above 20%

Maybe I am expecting too much

Kind Regards

Graham

David J Taylor

Hi

I just wondered if there is any advantage in using a pcie card such as the 6903x over a couple of SR1's apart from the obvious things like less cables etc

At the moment I am running with two SR1's

Regards
Graham
===========================

Graham,

Use the single Ayecka SR1 for the Basic Service alone. In this way, you are isolated from any low signal issues on HVS-1 which could cause related losses on the BS.

Use the 6903 (either with the dual-input method, or with one cable and a splitter) for HVS-1 and HVS-2.

But if you don't need HVS-2, you're fine as you are, as the SR1s are much more manageable, and don't need non-standard drivers as many of us have found the 6903 can need. If you suffer from a rapidly variable signal (wind moving the dish), the TBS devices may be better as they appear to have a faster AGC response (unconfirmed by either the manufacturer or EUMETSAT).

If starting from scratch, and only wanting BS & HVS-1, the dual tuner PCIe card wins. Unless you are using a portable with no chance to add in PCie cards!

Cornish Man

I am using a TBS 6903 for EUmetsat

Mostly for Basic services

But I think i need a bigger dish than my 110cm as i don't think I am getting all the channels (I.E Noaa 20)

I was wondering what else I can use my card for apart from EUMetSat or satellite TV?

Cheers

Jan

On Friday, 12 July 2019, 18:00:54 BST, David J Taylor via Groups.Io <gm8arv@...> wrote:

[...]

Massimo Petrantoni

Hello!

A question: Ayecka SR1 has greater sensitivity than TBS6903 ?

Can you tell what quality levels you have and the diameter of your disk?

73

Max

Il 12/07/2019 22:24, Cornish Man via Groups.Io ha scritto:
[...]

=====================================

Jan,

You should be able to use the cards for any satellite TV service as well, as you say.

I would have thought that for Cornwall a 110 cm dish would be sufficient for HVS-1 as well as BAS, but where are you located?

David J Taylor

Hello!

A question: Ayecka SR1 has greater sensitivity than TBS6903 ?

Can you tell what quality levels you have and the diameter of your disk?

73
Max
=====================================

Max,

The two receivers have essentially the same sensitivity. It's the low-noise amplifier in the LNB which primarily determines the system sensitivity (unless you have a very long stretch of cable (say more than 20m).

"Quality" and "Level" are meaningless numbers, although useful for dish and LNB adjustment (skew, focus, azimuth, elevation). The Ayecka SR1 give you the SNR in dB, and can also give the BER, bad DVB packets and bad frames, all accessible over the network from any PC you like, allowing you to monitor both recent events and long-term trends - for example:

https://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_eumetcast-dvb-s2.php

73,
David GM8ARV

geojohnt@...

Jan,

I seem to remember that you had/have, possible dish shading from a nearby tree or roof?
And that your dish was on a rotator.
Our Eumetcast signal reception requires more accurate dish alignment than satellite TV signals which are usually transmitted at a higher signal level anyway.

You are inside the maximum signal level contour as I am, so with a 1.1 m dish you should have good signal levels on 10 E.
With the dish centred on 10 E I also receive TV from Eutelsat 9-B (at 9 E), not many interesting TV channels except if one is interested in the EU, as I am, particularly following the EU Parliamentary Elections, and the forthcoming(?) dreaded 'B'
EU TV have two channels - Europe by Satellite - EbS.

Er, is there anything else transmitted by satellite that we might be interested in - or can receive/process?

+++++++++++++++++++++

I am using a TBS 6903 for EUmetsat
Mostly for Basic services
But I think i need a bigger dish than my 110cm as i don't think I am getting
all the channels (I.E Noaa 20)
I was wondering what else I can use my card for apart from EUMetSat or
satellite TV?

Cornish Man

Hi.

I moved my dish high up the wall and getting about 12db on 11263 transponder & 11.4db on 11387, same as the original location.
With the motor i stepped it to the best possible signal
On my satellite receiver it says EUTelSat 10E with I can receive about 100 foreign channels

I heard something about NOAA-Port, what is that?
Still trying to get NOAA 20 on Basic service, but I don't see it

Cheers

Jan

On Saturday, 13 July 2019, 10:12:18 BST, geojohnt via Groups.Io <geojohnt@...> wrote:

[...]

[]
Cheers
Jan
=================================

Jan,

A stepper motor may not give enough pointing accuracy with a 110 cm dish.

You should also tweak the skew on the LNB for best Es/No.

Cornish Man

Hi

I did that :)

On Saturday, 13 July 2019, 19:43:47 BST, David J Taylor via Groups.Io <gm8arv@...> wrote:

Hi.

I moved my dish high up the wall and getting about 12db on 11263 transponder
& 11.4db on 11387, same as the original location.
With the motor i stepped it to the best possible signal
[]
Cheers
Jan
=================================

Jan,

A stepper motor may not give enough pointing accuracy with a 110 cm dish.

You should also tweak the skew on the LNB for best Es/No.

Massimo Petrantoni

HI!

David,

Any suggestions about best LNB to receive MSG ?

I use a Humax LNB with noise figure of 0,1 db.

Best regards

Max

Il 13/07/2019 07:08, David J Taylor via Groups.Io ha scritto:
[...]

Don't believe the published noise figures!

But Arne van Belle did some tests a little while back and found the Inverto Black Ultra to be his preferred unit. Someone should re-visit those tests as there are undoubtedly newer, and possibly better, ones on the market now. Perhaps the more important aspect is LNB adjustments, and also the mounting arrangement so that the LNB cannot "see" anything at warm ground temperature, just the cold sky (as reflected in the dish).

Ciao,

geojohnt@...

Jan,

I haven't any experience of polar mount dish rotators but feel quite sure that they would not be able to align a 'EUMETCast dish' to the accuracy that we need.

You should be getting around 1 dB  or more SNR with your dish on TP 1 than you are.

Regarding NOAAPORT, I'm not sure if this is still operational but it was NOAA's equivalent of EUMETCast - part of GEONETCast, the worldwide meteorological data distribution service.

It was broadcast many years ago from SES-1 Americom in C-band.

It has obviously moved on a bit now: