From: Graham Woolf <woolfg@...>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020, 14:06
To: MSG-1@groups.io
Subject: [MSG-1] PC Spec
Hi

At the moment I do all my Eumetcast reception on my main PC along with all my other work and bits and pieces which means I suffer from the occassional loss  of data

I am thinking of getting a dedicated PC just for Eumetcast reception and wondered if anyone could advise me on the minimum spec to go for regarding CPU , Ram HDD etc

I have two SR1s and take BAS, HVS1 and HVS2 so would need two network ports or an alternative would be 3 USB ports

Any ideas would be much appreciated

Graham

Graham Woolf

Hi

Thanks for that - I have used them in the past

I just wanted to know the minimum I could get away with without spending too much

Regards

Graham

Graham Woolf

For example

There is no point buying an i7 if an i3/i5 would do
Also there is no point buying 32GB of RAM when 16 would do
Do I need three HDD's for the three services or would one big one do

Should I use linux or Windows?

Its these sort of question I would like some advice on as it will only be receiving -it wont have any internet connection

Regards

Graham

Douglas Deans

On 22/10/2020 14:06, Graham Woolf wrote:
Hi
At the moment I do all my Eumetcast reception on my main PC along with all my other work and bits and pieces which means I suffer from the occassional loss  of data
I am thinking of getting a dedicated PC just for Eumetcast reception and wondered if anyone could advise me on the minimum spec to go for regarding CPU , Ram HDD etc
I have two SR1s and take BAS, HVS1 and HVS2 so would need two network ports or an alternative would be 3 USB ports
Any ideas would be much appreciated
Graham

Graham is your intention to receive and save the data only on your Eumetcast computer and use the other computer (across a network ?) to process the datas. For future larger data sets I am thinking along those lines as well although I already have a very good specification back up computer (8 years old) I could use.
Initial quick tests seem to indicate that the occassional losses do not stop.

Graham Woolf

Hi Douglas

That was my plan yes - Im not sure how the files get moved across but I will sort that out at some stage

Re the issue i asked you about with missing data on VIIRS,NOAA20 and FY3D I emailed OPS and got the following reply

Dear Graham Woolf,

We do not see any problem with the data and we are also not aware of problems with SNPP VIIRS, NOAA20 or FY3D.

The files you mentioned are this type:

SVMC_npp_d20201021_t0012197_e0013439_b46544_c20201021002140000768_eum_ops.h5

and

SVMC_j01_d20201021_t1053534_e1055161_b15154_c20201021110350000946_eum_ops.h5

 Could you please send us the tellicast log files (recv_bas.log and recv_hvs-1.log) in order to check all the files  were disseminated via EUMETCast?

 We hope you have the tellicast log files in verbose mode.

Unfortunately I dont run in verbose mode

Regards

Graham

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

Hi Douglas

That was my plan yes - Im not sure how the files get moved across but I will sort that out at some stage

Re the issue i asked you about with missing data on VIIRS,NOAA20 and FY3D I emailed OPS and got the following reply
[]

Regards

Graham

Graham,

If using USB there's an element of luck judging by my recent experience, and I find a network connection to be more reliable. I have two PCs which are essentially capture-only, both not this year's model!

BAS:
PC Harstad, https://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_harstad.php
8 GB memory, i5-4460, no special graphics card, 500 GB HD, 4 GB RAMdisk
2nd network interface for an SR1.
If I were buying today, I might get 16 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD (system) 0.5-2 TB HD as data buffer
Received data is on RAMdisk, and a Robocopy job moves it to the HD every minute
Received data offered as a network share, so the MSG Data Manager etc points to \\Harstad\received - used by PC Penguin.

HVS-1 & HVS-2
PC Lund, https://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_lund.php
16 GB memory, i5-6400, no special graphics card, 128 GB SSD, 4 TB HD as buffer, 10 GB RAMdisk
TBS6903 PCIe card with "single-cable" operation.
For various reasons:
HVS-2 received on RAMdisk and deleted immediately.
HVS-1 received on RAMdisk and Robocopy moved to HD, and unwanted deleted immediately.
Wanted HVS-1 channels (Metop-A, GOES-16/17) made available as network shares for another PC to receive (PC Penguin), shared over the house 1 Gbps LAN.

SVMC_ files are 600+ MB monsters which, in my view, deserve no place on the BAS!

One advantage of the two PC system is that you can, if you wish, disable updates on the RX PC so that data is continually collected, and the processing PCs can be kept up-to-date with Windows Update without data loss.

I hope all the above is correct.

E&OE

Douglas Deans

On 22/10/2020 15:21, Graham Woolf wrote:
[...]

Graham that report from Eumetsat seems to be quite incorrect.
FY3D data over the UK has been missing for months and recently NPP and NOAA 20 are having similar issues.
I have checked and the files for the time frames concerned are not there.

I will change my log to Verbose and see what it shows.
I am in the middle of decorating at the moment and with 2 arthritic knees and a hernia it is taking rather longer than usual !!

Once I get all the evidence for one day I will contact OPS.

On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 06:06 AM, Graham Woolf wrote:
Hi

At the moment I do all my Eumetcast reception on my main PC along with all my other work and bits and pieces which means I suffer from the occassional loss  of data

I am thinking of getting a dedicated PC just for Eumetcast reception and wondered if anyone could advise me on the minimum spec to go for regarding CPU , Ram HDD etc

I have two SR1s and take BAS, HVS1 and HVS2 so would need two network ports or an alternative would be 3 USB ports

Any ideas would be much appreciated

Graham
Graham

If you dare to give GNU/Linux a try (I could give you a hand) you will get away with these specs:

Intel Core2 Duo 3.16GHz or later, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD (System), 1-2 TB HDD (CMR!) DATA.
You must have room for two additional network cards. Except for the two disks you should find
such a PC for free. You *must* know your dayly data volume, it's easily around 400GB and it's
hard to process that all. You can use SAMBA to export the data to a Windows processing PC.

I still use my almost 12 years old Fujitsu/Siemens Esprimo Core2 Duo and recently got a bunch
of 7 years old DELL Optiplex 7010 I5 SFF all for free. NICs Intel1000 app. 10 Euros from e-Bay.

Cheers
Ernst

http://5.153.116.236:81/

http://5.153.116.236:84/

P.S:
Once again: Beware of SMR disks. This crap cannot be used for EUMETCast Data! It *must* be CMR.
There is a thread about that on this list. HDD manufacturers now declare SMR/CMR in the datasheets.

Graham Woolf

Hi Ernst

Thanks - I might take you up on that

I know nothing about Linux so it will be a steep learning curve

Ill start looking for some cheap PC's

Regards

Graham

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

Hi Ernst

Thanks - I might take you up on that

I know nothing about Linux so it will be a steep learning curve

Ill start looking for some cheap PC's

Regards

Graham
===========================

Graham,

Plan on a very long learning curve. Even for receive only there are still lots of complications. It's not something I would recommend for the Linux beginner.

On Fri, Oct 23, 2020 at 06:00 AM, David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺 wrote:
Graham,

Plan on a very long learning curve. Even for receive only there are still lots of complications. It's not something I would recommend for the Linux beginner.

Graham,

that's taken from a backup of a web page I had at my school and that's how I started using GNU/Linux for EUMETCast:

////
Remember what David Taylor said May 8th 2007 on the MSG-1 Group in a discussion about setting up a GNU/Linux receiver:

"
I haven't used EUMETCast operationally with Linux - but I understand that it does work, and I have seen it working on at least one system. The great majority use Windows 2000 or XP, and there is far more experience using those systems and diagnosing problems which may occur.   ...   My recommendation is that, unless you /must/ run under Linux for some reason, or you simply want to experiment, go for a native Windows 2000 or Windows XP solution.
"
////

If you give up before you even try, you will never know what you are missing. As you worked as a software engineer
you should be able to do it with little help. Given a fairly good Internet access you can install the basic CLI system in
20 minutes. Of course that's where the real learning curve starts. GNU/Linux is for people that are willing to READ
Manuals, HOWTOs, Man Pages, Blogs and Posts ...

Best regards
Ernst

P.S.
If you are looking for a cheap PC try to find a make that has good technical documentation like
HP, Fujitsu, DELL, ... Go with Intel processors, I have absolutely no experience with AMD so far.