Topics

PC requirements - comparison of single and dual systems.

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

I recently had chance to compare some results with Sam Elsdon who
commented about disk activity on a single PC system during
animation. We compared results when not running animation - my
system just running MSG Data Manager, and Sam's running the Tellique
software as well. Measurements done with the Windows Performance
Monitor. Thanks to Sam for sharing his results.

Dual PC setup:

% Disk Time: 1-2%
Average disk bytes per transfer: 10KB
Disk transfers per second: 5

Single PC setup:

% Disk Time: 9%
Average disk bytes per transfer: 33KB
Disk transfers per second: 150

Now this isn't a scientific comparison on two identical PCs with two
identical operating systems, memory, or disks. However, 150 disk
I/Os per second is massive! One disk I/O every six milliseconds.
Both a small cluster size and lack of regular defragmentation could
cause this result, but having to handle all the temporary I/O for
the Tellique software, plus writing and reading 8 segment files to
and from disk instead of one network transfer must contributes as
well.

My recommendation would be that, if you must use a single PC system,
be prepared to tune that system carefully for best operation.

Comments welcomed.

--- In MSG-1@..., "David Taylor" <david-taylor@b...>
wrote:
I recently had chance to compare some results with Sam Elsdon who
commented about disk activity on a single PC system during
animation.
Please ignore the previous message - it turned out that Sam had an
animation running at the same time.

David

Timestep <Information@...>

From: Dave Cawley
Timestep Dartmouth England
e-mail Information@...
Web site http://www.Time-step.com
Tel. +44 (0)1803 833366
Fax. +44 (0)1803 839498

Measurements done with the Windows Performance
Monitor.<<<

Where is this ? I would like to compare my single computer system too.
Although it seems to have stopped animating this morning ?

Dave

Alan Sewards <alan.sewards@...>

Dave,
Start button, Programs, Administrative Tools, Performance.

It'll frighten you!

Best regards - Alan
My animations have stopped too, at 2245.

From: Dave Cawley
Timestep Dartmouth England
e-mail Information@...
Web site http://www.Time-step.com
Tel. +44 (0)1803 833366
Fax. +44 (0)1803 839498

Running HRV animation on the Pentium 2.4 (less than 300 pounds) I get an
average of just 9 disc writes a second which seems OK to me.

I'm not saying everyone should use a single computer, but that it is
perfectly acceptable. In the old days we could not animate much WEFAX with
4Mb RAM, but most people only wanted to animate D2. A lot of people are put
off the idea of two computers, even I was scared of networking 2 years ago,
but I honestly think we should encourage newcomers and the not so technical,
to start with one computer.

Dave

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

I'm not saying everyone should use a single computer, but that it is
perfectly acceptable. In the old days we could not animate much WEFAX
with
4Mb RAM, but most people only wanted to animate D2. A lot of people are
put
off the idea of two computers, even I was scared of networking 2 years
ago,
but I honestly think we should encourage newcomers and the not so
technical,
to start with one computer.
Dave,

I think you highlight a market need there for a system integrator!