overlays for goes 16

Andrea Battistella

Hi
is it possible to have overlays ( coast and country ) for GOES 16 channel M6C12 ?
Thanks in advance
Andrea

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

On 08/09/2021 06:20, Andrea Battistella wrote:
Hi
is it possible to have overlays ( coast and country ) for GOES 16 channel M6C12 ?
Thanks in advance
Andrea
My GeoSatSignal program does that - see the sample.
Is that the software which you are using?

Andrea Battistella

I'm using xrit2pic on Ubuntu 18
thanks
Andrea

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

On 08/09/2021 09:37, Andrea Battistella wrote:
I'm using xrit2pic on Ubuntu 18
thanks
Andrea
Andrea,

I expect that the images into GeoSatSignal are the same as those from my own GOES ABI Manager software (free) - the sample I demonstrated was named:

202109080730-g16-b12.jpg

Whilst I've not tested it myself, I would expect GeoSatSignal to run under Virtual Box or VMWare and some of my software does run directly under Wine. It may even run under the Twister OS on a Raspberry Pi 4, but I would not expect a high performance from that combination!

Rob Alblas can help with his own software, of course.

R. Alblas

Andrea,

xrit2pic supports overlays using a 'picture' (as delivered by Eumetsat) and vectorized overlay files from the Global Self-consistent, Hierarchical, High-resolution Geography Database.

I have to check if Eumetsat has overlay files for GOES17; and then check if that works with xrit2pic; maybe an update is needed.

The Global Self-consistent, Hierarchical, High-resolution Geography Database gives coast overlays world wide, but that needs location info from the satellite file. Which works with with data in HRIT/LRIT format, like MSG and GOES12. Not sure if that works with GOES17; I think you use hdf files?

Regards,
Rob.

On 08/09/2021 14:30, R. Alblas wrote:
xrit2pic supports overlays using a 'picture' (as delivered by Eumetsat)
and vectorized overlay files from the Global Self-consistent,
Hierarchical, High-resolution Geography Database.
I have to check if Eumetsat has overlay files for GOES17; and then check
if that works with xrit2pic; maybe an update is needed.
The Global Self-consistent, Hierarchical, High-resolution Geography
Database gives coast overlays world wide, but that needs location info
from the satellite file. Which works with with data in HRIT/LRIT format,
like MSG and GOES12. Not sure if that works with GOES17; I think you use
hdf files?
Regards,
Rob.
Rob,

Good to hear from you.

I had some minor offsets when using GSHHS and the theoretical values for standard HRIT/LRIT format data.

I spent some time with e-mail exchanges with NOAA until this was resolved. I can't recall the exact details now - let me check....yes, there were some unusual features in sat-to-earth (and likely earth-to-sat) which I had to code separately. I never did get an explanation why using the standard WMO equations wasn't good enough....

I'm using the images as sent over EUMETCast and the match is now excellent.

Andrea Battistella

Dear Rob
I'm decoding hdf files from GOES16 ( 75W ) not 17 using xrit2pic version 2020.3c
best regards
Andrea

R. Alblas

On 08-09-2021 17:09, David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴 🇪🇺 via groups.io wrote:

Good to hear from you.

I had some minor offsets when using GSHHS and the theoretical values for standard HRIT/LRIT format data.

I spent some time with e-mail exchanges with NOAA until this was resolved.  I can't recall the exact details now - let me check....yes, there were some unusual features in sat-to-earth (and likely earth-to-sat) which I had to code separately.  I never did get an explanation why using the standard WMO equations wasn't good enough....

I'm using the images as sent over EUMETCast and the match is now excellent.

Ah, I missed that; coastline images via Eumetcast. (I am not very active with Eumetcast for some time; the link I have on my webpage for coastlines is also out-of-date....)
I'll have a look; I think this is not something I have to request to receive?

Rob.

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

On 09/09/2021 07:51, R. Alblas wrote:
Ah, I missed that; coastline images via Eumetcast. (I am not very active
with Eumetcast for some time; the link I have on my webpage for
coastlines is also out-of-date....)
I'll have a look; I think this is not something I have to request to
receive?
Rob.
Rob,

Ah, confusion! I mean the outlines/country boundaries I use are from GSHHS (or GSHHG, now, 2.3.7) with the WMO (?) equations (as updated) to project onto GOES-16/17 satellite images sent over EUMETCast.

The EUMETSAT image coastline images are something I've never used. In the case of GOES-16/17 my software handles data from other sources including the full-resolution data, so a fixed image wouldn't be appropriate.

They used to be on the EUMETSAT Web site, but I couldn't find them just now. Maybe Ops can help?

R. Alblas

Rob,

Ah, confusion!  I mean the outlines/country boundaries I use are from GSHHS (or GSHHG, now, 2.3.7) with the WMO (?) equations (as updated) to project onto GOES-16/17 satellite images sent over EUMETCast.

The EUMETSAT image coastline images are something I've never used.  In the case of GOES-16/17 my software handles data from other sources including the full-resolution data, so a fixed image wouldn't be appropriate.

They used to be on the EUMETSAT Web site, but I couldn't find them just now. Maybe Ops can help?

OK, I have sent a question to OPS. The overlay files are not available yet, as it seems; I found a link to a list but the links on that page all point to a black hole (never comes back...)
In the mean time, I 'll have a look at hdf; somewhere parameters have to be found to convert pixel to position, as is the case with 'old' HRIT.

Cheers,
Rob.

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

On 09/09/2021 10:45, R. Alblas wrote:
David,
OK, I have sent a question to OPS. The overlay files are not available
yet, as it seems; I found a link to a list but the links on that page
all point to a black hole (never comes back...)
In the mean time, I 'll have a look at hdf; somewhere parameters have to
be found to convert pixel to position, as is the case with 'old' HRIT.
Cheers,
Rob.
Rob,

If you can't get an overlay file from Ops, just send a blank G16/G17 image to GeoSatSignal and it can generate one for you.

R. Alblas

On 09-09-2021 12:00, David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴 🇪🇺 via groups.io wrote:

Rob,

If you can't get an overlay file from Ops, just send a blank G16/G17 image to GeoSatSignal and it can generate one for you.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.  I suppose GSHHS/G data is used, and I have only to add the subsatellite point?

Regards,
Rob.

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

On 09/09/2021 11:27, R. Alblas wrote:
David,
Thanks, I'll give it a try.  I suppose GSHHS/G data is used, and I have
only to add the subsatellite point?
Regards,
Rob.
Rob,

Simply using the filename will define the mapping and sub-satellite point. The program accepts GSHHG (or GSHHS) data in the options for overlay. Sample blank attached.

On 09/09/2021 11:27, R. Alblas wrote:
David,
Thanks, I'll give it a try.  I suppose GSHHS/G data is used, and I have
only to add the subsatellite point?
Regards,
Rob.
I've sent my attempt directly, Rob.

R. Alblas

Thanks, I'll give it a try.
Regards,
Rob.

On 09/09/2021 12:45 PM, David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺 via groups.io wrote:
On 09/09/2021 11:27, R. Alblas wrote:
David,

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I suppose GSHHS/G data is used, and I have
only to add the subsatellite point?

Regards,
Rob.
Rob,

Simply using the filename will define the mapping and sub-satellite point. The program accepts GSHHG (or GSHHS) data in the options for overlay. Sample blank attached.

On 10/09/2021 07:57, R. Alblas wrote:
Thanks, I'll give it a try.
Regards,
Rob.
Did you get the ones I sent directly?

R. Alblas

David,

Yes, got them, if I have overlay results I'll let you know.
In the mean time I got answer from Debbie@Eumetsat. Overlay files are not supported anymore, so also not available from their website. There were never overlay files for GOES16.

Regards,
Rob.

On 10/09/2021 18:43, R. Alblas wrote:
David,
Yes, got them, if I have overlay results I'll let you know.
In the mean time I got answer from Debbie@Eumetsat. Overlay files are
not supported anymore, so also not available from their website. There
were never overlay files for GOES16.
Regards,
Rob.
Thanks for letting me know, Rob.
OK, so I may end up being the generator of them!

Andrea Battistella

Dear Rob & David
I have read your discussion but I did not understand what to do ..............................

Thanks
best regards
ciao !!

Andrea

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

On 14/09/2021 09:48, Andrea Battistella wrote:
Dear Rob & David
I have read your discussion but I did not understand what to do ..............................
Thanks
best regards
ciao !!
Andrea
Andrea,

I understand that Rob is testing the overlays I made for him, so I expect he will get back here when he has had a chance to test.

Ciao,