Topics

'Overheating' SkyStar 2 cards.

johnrigsec@...

All,

I have taken this matter up with TechniSat who are not aware of any 'problem'
or
duff cards (my words).

They say if you install your SkyStar card next to your graphics card then
over
heating is likely.
They recommend a spare slot between the Skystar card and any other card.
And say ' Nowadays an additional cooler for PCs with high loaded PCI cards is
recommended.'

Regards,
John Tellick.

Alan Sewards <alan.sewards@...>

I had occasion recently to switch my SkyStar card from one machine to
another. It had been running continuously for several weeks when I turned
off the machine and removed it. It was warm, but not hot, i.e. there were no
objects on it one could not touch. I have known video cards much warmer than
it was. So my card does not have an overheating problem. I did and do have
spare slots between the card and other cards - in fact, I put the SkyStar
card in a slot near the bottom as I felt that a cold wall next to it would
be helpful.

Regards - Alan

I have taken this matter up with TechniSat who are not aware of any
'problem'
or
duff cards (my words).

They say if you install your SkyStar card next to your graphics card then
over
heating is likely.
They recommend a spare slot between the Skystar card and any other card.
And say ' Nowadays an additional cooler for PCs with high loaded PCI cards
is
recommended.'

Regards,
John Tellick.

John Parkins <john@...>

Hello john,

Sorry somehow managed to post this to the rig-l group first time
round.......

Well Technisat want to make their minds up.

"3. Now you have to choose a free PCI slot. If possible choose the PCI slot with
the designation ᅵ0ᅵ. (first PCI slot). So you make sure, that the board first will
be checked for functionality. Then place the SkyStar PCI in. Unscrew the
slotï¿œs metal dust protector located on the back cover of the case. Lay the
protector on the ground to one side."

I quote from Technisat own installation instructions, slot "0" being
the one next to the AGP slot........

So not always best to follow the instructions to the letter.

jac> All,

jac> I have taken this matter up with TechniSat who are not aware of any 'problem'
jac> or
jac> duff cards (my words).

jac> They say if you install your SkyStar card next to your graphics card then
jac> over
jac> heating is likely.
jac> They recommend a spare slot between the Skystar card and any other card.
jac> And say ' Nowadays an additional cooler for PCs with high loaded PCI cards is
jac> recommended.'

jac> Regards,
jac> John Tellick.

--
Best regards,
John mailto:kvp@...

M5WJF <m5wjf.qthr@...>

Hi All,

I've not had any overheating of the Skystar 2 Card whilst installed
on an AMD Athlon XP 2200+, and on my system I had every PCI Slot
filled, indeed I had a Win TV BT878 Decoder one side of it and a PCI
2x Serial the other side without problems.

I must admit to having four case fans, two fans on a Ti4400 AGP
Card, and one fan attached to the board chipset, in addition to the
normal CPU & PSU fans. Maybe a lesson here?

At the moment I've transferred the Skystar to an AMD Athlon 1.2GHz,
with only three slots populated, this will be a stand alone receiver
PC, no overheating observed as yet, but there is a case fan.

73 de Wayne M5WJF

Alan Sewards <alan.sewards@...>

Hi folks,
Just for the record, my Technisat manual does not contain the passage
quoted by John. It says nothing at all about where to put the card other
than in an empty slot (!). There is no date on my manual which is titled
Installation SkyStar 2 TV PVR.

Best regards - Alan

[...]

Hello Alan,

The section comes from; technisat_manual_skystar2_english.pdf page 6
on the Technisat SkyStar 2 installation CD. Also in the RAEDME.TXT in
the installation folder is says:

"Problem: My signal indicator drops from 0 % up to 70 % within a few seconds.
Solution: Check the valid function of your receiving equipment. If this is OK
please check if your system is installed in ACPI mode. If yes, try to
use the dvb card in a pci slot named slot number 0 on your motherboard.
If this does not solve the problem, you have to disable ACPI. This makes
a new installation of the operating system necessary."

But if you look at the picture on page 7 of the manual you'll see the
guy installing the card in a slot other than "0". Seems they don't
even read their own manuals.

--
Best regards,
John mailto:kvp@...