Old TechniSat card & DVBWorld interface

diogenes1@...

Hello all, I have the following items used in earlier satellite setups and I am wondering are they of any use for anything today.

Technisat SkyStar 2 TV - pci card and DVBWorld DVB-S interface

Regards, Peter

Ernst Lobsiger

On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 01:45 AM, <diogenes1@...> wrote:
Hello all, I have the following items used in earlier satellite setups and I am wondering are they of any use for anything today.

Technisat SkyStar 2 TV - pci card and DVBWorld DVB-S interface

Regards, Peter
Peter,

it depends on available drivers for your OS and on what "anything" means. If it comes to EUMETCast yours are a nogo.

All I can say is that the "Technisat SkyStar 2 eXpress HD" (PCIe) works very well for Basic Service only under GNU/Linux.
For the above PCIe card EUMETSAT has written a setup guide but I doubt that this HW is any good under Windows 10.

If it comes to USB boxes the "Technisat SkyStar USB HD" used to work under GNU/Linux wirth a CrazyCat adapted driver.
It is the exact USB equivalent of the card above. Whether it still works with the TBS Open Source drivers has to be tested.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/284290957110?hash=item42310fbf36:g:yQgAAOSwdzJgmmux

diogenes1@...

Ernst, thank you for your reply. I came across these items, as you do, whilst looking for something else and I just wondered, should I get rid of them or have they got a use for any satellite related projects.
Regards, Peter

Ernst Lobsiger

Peter,

Technisat produced a bunch of models. But most of us used the SkyStar 2 TV 2.6D PCI card shown here:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/154464274925?hash=item23f6c9c9ed:g:emoAAOSweQ9ge~0Z

This one is DVB-S only and therefore no good since 2014 when EUMETCast changed to DVB-S2 + VCM.

On the other hand if someone still owns a SkyStar 2 eXPress HD please don't throw it away!! This card still
has awsome performance for an EUMETCast Basic Service only receiver under GNU/Linux. So if you want to
give GNU/Linux as TC receiver a go or know someone interested in doing so, keep or pass this card along.
Several of these SkyStar 2 eXpress HD cards appear now on eBay Germany and sell for 10 - 20 Euros.

https://www.technisat.com/assets/medias/docus/15/DB_SkyStar%202%20eXpress%20HD_EK.pdf

I combined one of these cards with my PyTROLL/Satpy image processing starter kit. It produces
images of a couple of satellites that you can configure at will. It's working all unattended. See here:

http://5.153.116.236:85

If there is enoug interest and we run in another lockdown I might concider a GNU/Linux starter kit.