Topics

Oh My Goodness - recovered HDD space!

geojohnt@...

All,

I was 'looking around' my EUMETCast computer yesterday and found my Data Disk (E:) was rather full.
I had far less free space than - I thought - I had a 'few months ago.'

I had only 413 GB from a 1.81 TB HDD.
It took a little finding as to what was taking up all this space.

It was 65 GB's of BZ2 files from 2017.
12 months worth! of BZ2 files from 2018.
5 months worth of BZ2 files from 2019 (336 GB's) - not yet deleted.

All these files were in E: > MSG > Images > AVHRR (segemnts) > (date)

I now have 1.2 TB's free space from 1.18 TB HDD.

Mmmmmm?

Regards,
John Tellick.

Ferdinand Valk

John,

Three options to prevent this from occurring:

  • Within the AVHRR Manager clear the “Save segment files” box
  • Comment out the AVHRR line from your cast-client-channels_bas.ini file if you don’t use the AVHRR data
  • Use TrimTree to periodically clean out all/particular data older than a certain time.

Especially the latter option prevents files your are unaware of to clog up your system.

Hope this helps,

Ferdinand

I was 'looking around' my EUMETCast computer yesterday and found my Data Disk (E:) was rather full.

I had far less free space than - I thought - I had a 'few months ago.'

I had only 413 GB from a 1.81 TB HDD.

It took a little finding as to what was taking up all this space.

It was 65 GB's of BZ2 files from 2017.

12 months worth! of BZ2 files from 2018.

5 months worth of BZ2 files from 2019 (336 GB's) - not yet deleted.

All these files were in E: > MSG > Images > AVHRR (segemnts) > (date)

I now have 1.2 TB's free space from 1.18 TB HDD.

Mmmmmm?

Regards,

John Tellick.

David J Taylor

John,
[]
Within the AVHRR Manager clear the ???Save segment files??? box
[]
Hope this helps,
Ferdinand
=====================================

Good advice, Ferdinand, to which I would add:

- use the "save in compact format" option
- set the "Combined data retention period" to an appropriate value
- ensure that you are using the current version V4.1.2

and if you are using the HRPT Reader "Kepler path" option (e.g. pointing to C:\Tools\SatSignal\HRPTreader\) be sure to use the EUMETSAT Keplers, as those from Space-Track have inconsistent orbit numbers (sometimes going backwards!) resulting in the AVHRR Manager producing larger than normal files output. A sample command script from Thorsten Miglus to use EUMETSAT Kepler data is here:

https://www.satsignal.eu/software/KeplerManager.htm#eumetsat

Has anyone got a list of which satellites Kepler data is available for from EUMETSAT?

geojohnt@...

Hello Ferdinand,

Thanks for your advice.
I unticked the "Save segment files" box.

Regarding your second suggestion - er, believe it or not, I'm I'm still using Tellicast 2.4.4a.
I do however have - have had - TC 2.14.5 loaded on my EUMETCast computer since last November and the short cut icons on my desktop since them.
But 'old habits die hard.'

However, having just updated my MDM to the latest version and seen all the Himawari data thumbnail boxes, it might just get me running the new version😁.

best wishes,
John.

+++++++++++++++++++

In a message dated 14/06/2019 13:51:22 GMT Standard Time, fvalk@... writes:

Three options to prevent this from occurring:

  • Within the AVHRR Manager clear the “Save segment files” box
  • Comment out the AVHRR line from your cast-client-channels_bas.ini file if you don’t use the AVHRR data
  • Use TrimTree to periodically clean out all/particular data older than a certain time.

geojohnt@...

David,

Thanks also for the advice.

Yes, I've got "Save in compact format" ticked - and "Save thumbnails."
"Combined data retention period" set to 4.
And yes, I (now) have V4.1.2.246.

In a message dated 14/06/2019 14:14:11 GMT Standard Time, gm8arv@... writes:

John,
[]