From: "peterszoo2003" <peter@zoo81.fsworld.co.uk>
To: <MSG-1@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Sunday, December 07, 2003 1:45 PM
Subject: [MSG-1] newbie setting up for MSG

I am setting up for msg reception
I want to use a 1 computer setup I would like to know if a P4 3.06
GIG hyper threading processor is suitable will it work better than
the standard P4 northward 533 or do I realy nead a 2 computer network
setup.
regards Peter

--- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "peterszoo2003" <peter@z...> wrote:
I am setting up for msg reception
I want to use a 1 computer setup I would like to know if a P4 3.06
GIG hyper threading processor is suitable will it work better than
the standard P4 northward 533 or do I realy nead a 2 computer
network setup.

Peter,

My recommendation is for a two-PC setup. You can leave the RX PC on
all the time, running independantly of the rest of your system, in
addition, the RX PC does not have to store large amounts of data and
therefore disk folder and data fragmentation will be less of an
issue. For some time, I ran a 550MHz Pentium III for this task
quite successfully.

Many folk here have also reported success with a single-PC system.
You need to choose components carefully for such a system - fast
disk I/O, minimum IRQ sharing etc. Note that the Tellique software
does not support hyper-threading so turn that off in the BIOS. 1GB
of RAM is highly desirable for processing the larger images (MSG-1
HRV, Meteosat-5 visible).

On the single-PC system, what you need to avoid, should minimising
missing segments be important to you, is anything that uses a large
amount of CPU - making panoramas, processing large images, running
disk defrag at normal priority etc. etc. In other words, if you use
your "standard" PC for all and sundry tasks, and add DVB reception
and processing as well, be prepared for less than perfect results.
It's a good way to start, though.

If you have the newer DVB card (V2.6B), be aware that the older
V4.2.2 drivers are the recommended ones, and not the newer V4.2.8
drivers supplied with the card.

Peter Benney <tugboat@...>

I am setting up for msg reception
I want to use a 1 computer setup I would like to know if a P4 3.06
GIG hyper threading processor is suitable will it work better than
the standard P4 northward 533 or do I realy nead a 2 computer network
setup.
Peter,

Just a warning in the Technisat Skystar2 FAQ you will find the following...

!!! the software is not designed to operate on SMP or Hyper-Threading CPU systems.

scroll down to page 4 for more infor.

http://www.t-data.lu/software/Sky2FAQ.pdf

Cheers,

Peter Benney

Peter Benney <tugboat@...>

If you have the newer DVB card (V2.6B), be aware that the older
V4.2.2 drivers are the recommended ones, and not the newer V4.2.8
drivers supplied with the card.

Peter,

Further to David's good advice the FAQ refers to software V4.2.8 which I am running with the USB box but I thought I should draw your attention to this requirement.

Peter B

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

--- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "peterszoo2003" <peter@z...> wrote:
I am setting up for msg reception
Peter,

An obvious tip - search or scroll back through the messages to this
group as this has been discussed many times.

I believe that John Tellick prepared a list of various systems and
how successful they were. Did you publish that, John?

peterszoo2003 <peter@...>

--- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "peterszoo2003" <peter@z...> wrote:
I am setting up for msg reception
I want to use a 1 computer setup I would like to know if a P4 3.06
GIG hyper threading processor is suitable will it work better than
the standard P4 northward 533 or do I realy nead a 2 computer
network
setup.
regards Peter
thanks for the replys saved me from spending money on hyper
threading P4 i will now purchase a normal one.
regards Peter

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

thanks for the replys saved me from spending money on hyper
threading P4 i will now purchase a normal one.
regards Peter
I recently upgraded, and actually bought a 2.8GHz hyper-threading
chip. I didn't realise it wasn't compatible (in HT mode) until I re-
read the Tellique instructions. However, I got it for the 800MHz
FSB, as I thought that would give a speed advantage over the 533MHz
FSB on the other processors. Yes, I did get the 400MHz DDR memory
to go with it. It is very fast!

(It runs my backup MSG-1 receiver with the Tellique software and the
MSG Data Manager, and is also used as a general purpose PC. When
CPU-intensive operations are run, missing segments result......).

johnrigsec@...

In a message dated 07-12-03 14:29:20 GMT Standard Time,
david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk writes:

I believe that John Tellick prepared a list of various systems and
how successful they were. Did you publish that, John?

You've blown my cover!

The trouble with old(er) age, is that either one slows down or the clock
speeds up.
Sitting here writing Christmas cards I find I keep writing 'whatever happened
to 2003?'
I'm sure I'm not alone.

Yes, I did ask users some months ago about what systems they were using for
MSG
EUMETCast reception. There was quite a good response - for which I'm very
grateful,
but that now has to be condensed into a meaningful form. Not so easy and
rather
time consuming and what will one learn anyway?

I have to admit that nothing has yet been prepared and is not likely to be
before the
New Year.
I thought it was a good idea at the time given the variation in users set-ups
and
with recent posts the 'debate' on 'what do I need?' continues and there seems
to be
not one definitive answer.

Apart from that computer specifications seem to get better by the month!

It seems to me to boil down to what do you want to do?
And, what do I need to do such and such.
Several are saying that you really need a stand alone MSG system - that is a
computer
not used for anything else.
But that depends on what one requires from 'MSG.'

Well, let me put the ball back in the experts court.

1. I want a system that acts like a Meteosat WEFAX system - to be able to
view a
European or global sector every 1/2 hour in either VIS or IR and
animate it.
Every 1/4 hour would be preferable but one has to be realistic.
Can I do that and what system spec would I require - one or two computers?

2. I want 24 hour full imaging and animation and want real-time display of
any channel
I chose.
Can I do that and what system spec do I need - two computer I suspect?

3. I just want to dip in every now and again to see 'what's going on' and
use the
computer for other things at other times.
Can I do that and what system spec do I need?

4. What is the most basic computer spec I can use to download EUMETCast
accepting considerable downgrading of the systems possibilities?

Both you, David and Arne have told me of having used quite a 'low spec'
computer
for reception which works OK but that will require a second 'better' computer
for
processing and display.

Could the current fastest and 'best specified' home computers do it all in
real-time -
reception, processing and display and animation all at the same time?

1. I want a system that acts like a Meteosat WEFAX system - to
be able to view a European or global sector every 1/2 hour in either
VIS or IR and animate it. Every 1/4 hour would be preferable but
one has to be realistic. Can I do that and what system spec would I
require - one or two computers?

One dedicated computer (but I don't recommend that) or two PCs
networked. Spec for processing (or single) PC: 1-2GHz+ processor,
512MB-1GB memory (1GB memory if you want to use the HRV or Meteosat-
5 visible channel). Fast hard disks with 2MB or 8MB buffers. See
below for second Receiver PC spec.

2. I want 24 hour full imaging and animation and want real-time
display of any channel I chose. Can I do that and what system spec
do I need - two computer I suspect?

Same answer as above, with more emphasis on CPU speed and memory.

3. I just want to dip in every now and again to see 'what's
going on' and use the computer for other things at other times. Can
I do that and what system spec do I need?

For me, the killer here is "use the computer for other things". For
example, if you start doing complex image processing, making
panoramas, complex spreadsheets etc., the CPU load that produces can
cause missing segments. If this doesn't matter, that's fine. The
500MHz PC below would to that, but I would suggest at least 256MB of
memory.

4. What is the most basic computer spec I can use to download
EUMETCast accepting considerable downgrading of the systems
possibilities?

If you don't mind missing very occasional segments, 500MHz Pentium
III with 256MB memory - data capture only. Use a separate
processing PC.

In short:

- if you want to do everything on a single PC, try to make sure it's
a good one (1-2GHz+, 512MB-1GB according to your aims) and expect
missing segments if you overload the single PC with other tasks. So
make it a dedicated MSG-1 PC if possible. Use Windows 2000 or XP.

- if you can find a 500MHz PC for separate receiver use, most of the
potential problems disappear, and you can do what the heck you like
on the Processing PC. Use Windows 2000 or XP.

There's nothing to stop you using the single PC solution to start
with, and migrating to two PCs as funds allow.

Does that answer the question?
Does anyone else agree?

Robert Moore

Agree. Our collective experience seems to be that the two-PC approach is best by
far, but one will work OK, though the lower spec the less can be done with
other memory-hungry programs without interfering with MSG-1 data.
Once anyone gets hooked I guess they will be saving hard for that second PC (or,
I suppose, giving up all other activities on the one PC!).
Robert

Quoting David Taylor <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk>:

[...]

------------------------------
Robert Moore

tel and fax: 44 (0) 1352 714456

Douglas Deans <douglas@...>

[...]

Yes I could not agree more. My own 'main' computer has just failed
(probably motherboard) and I am now using a single lesser spec.computer.
It can deal with everything but not simultaneously without virtually
grinding to a halt.
It is the small but accumulative things that matter. Hard drive no longer
7200, memory not DDR, memory only 512MB not 1024Mb, processor now 1200 not
2000...all take a toll.
Strangely segment loss does not seem to be an issue, although I do not take
everything and until my 'main' computer is repaired I am taking it easy...
no HRV animations in GSS 4 etc.!
Does still surprise me what is possible with a bit of careful use, so for
those holding back have a go and still enjoy the hobby with a little
computer management.

johnrigsec@...

David,

Thanks very much for your suggestions to my questions 'what do I need to do
what?'

It just seemed to me that there are many variations as to what is being used
currently for reception of MSG EUMETCast data.
Some are running 'high spec - do it all' systems some are fairly basic and as
you
and Arne have shown recently you can, given limitations, run a fairly
basically
specified system and get 'satisfactory' results.

It seemed to me to be useful to try to define a specification for a
'preferred' system.
I thought my survey would have given some pointers but I think it threw up so
many
variations that one couldn't see the wood for the trees.

Your system thoughts have made things clearer.

johnrigsec@...

In a message dated 11-12-03 15:03:42 GMT Standard Time,
rsmoore@liverpool.ac.uk writes:

Agree. Our collective experience seems to be that the two-PC approach is
best by
far, but one will work OK, though the lower spec the less can be done with
other memory-hungry programs without interfering with MSG-1 data.
Once anyone gets hooked I guess they will be saving hard for that second PC
(or,
I suppose, giving up all other activities on the one PC!).
Robert
Robert,

Thanks for your comments also.

johnrigsec@...

In a message dated 12-12-03 11:37:43 GMT Standard Time,
douglas@dsdeans.freeserve.co.uk writes:

Yes I could not agree more. My own 'main' computer has just failed
(probably motherboard) and I am now using a single lesser spec.computer.
It can deal with everything but not simultaneously without virtually
grinding to a halt.
It is the small but accumulative things that matter. Hard drive no longer
7200, memory not DDR, memory only 512MB not 1024Mb, processor now 1200 not
2000...all take a toll.
Strangely segment loss does not seem to be an issue, although I do not take
everything and until my 'main' computer is repaired I am taking it easy...
no HRV animations in GSS 4 etc.!
Does still surprise me what is possible with a bit of careful use, so for
those holding back have a go and still enjoy the hobby with a little
computer management.

Douglas,

Thanks for yet more useful comments regarding computer specs for MSG.
Especially your last sentence - that should encourage some to 'put a toe in.'

Perhaps some have been put off with the initial considered requirements for a
system.
'Horses for courses?'
Or, is that oversimplifying the situation?

Your system thoughts have made things clearer.

John,

I'm glad that helped. I suggest we publish those thoughts for
people just starting - someone will be in touch asking for your
permission.

peterszoo2003 <peter@...>

update on my setup took a while to recieve the tellique software
then flu from boxing day so set up for MSG yesterday using a
p4 2.66GHz 533MHz fsb, 1Gb pc2700 ram.and a g4 128Mb graphics card
to lighten load on ram. Software xp pro using xrit2pic to
view the data and images as yet no lost segments.
My system runs no other software as yet other than the required, as
computer will not be used
to acess internet so will not as yet need anti virus or fire wall
protection and I removed windows messenger and the like so as there
is nothing running in the background, I know this is a minimal
system and I will give David Taylors software a try when funds
available to put more load on the processor to see how far I can
push it before lost segments apear.
So the 1 or 2 computer network question still not fully answered but
perhaps the answer may become clearerer for me at least.
thanks to all who replied to my previous postings.

Best regards and happy & prosperous new year, Peter.

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

--- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "peterszoo2003" <peter@z...> wrote:
I will give David Taylors software a try when funds
available
Peter,

Glad you are enjoying the MSG-1 data. If you don't already have a
free trial licence for my software, just e-mail me for one.

Quality software written to your requirements
Web: http://www.satsignal.net
Email: davidtaylor@writeme.com