From: Hugo
Sent: 23 November 2020 16:41
To: MSG-1@groups.io
Subject: [MSG-1] New release EUMETCastView v1.4.9

Hi,

In this release I solved some bugs for MERSI images and added a new Projection. Beside the Lambert, the Perspective and the Stereographic projections I added the Oblique Mercator Projection. This projection works only for Metop, VIIRS M and MERSI images. This projection eliminates the "bow-ties" in VIIRS M and MERSI images. When selecting a segment that lies over the south pole (only Metop) the projection will show the countries outside the selected region.  I don't have that problem
for regions over the north pole. This is something that I need to solve.

See  https://www.flickr.com/photos/137270544@N02/50610090861/in/datetaken-public/ as an example of an Oblique Mercator projection.

As always you can download the latest release from https://github.com/hvanruys/EUMETCastView/releases

Kind regards,

Hugo

Douglas Deans

On 23/11/2020 16:41, Hugo wrote:
Hi,
In this release I solved some bugs for MERSI images and added a new Projection. Beside the Lambert, the Perspective and the Stereographic projections I added the Oblique Mercator Projection. This projection works only for Metop, VIIRS M and MERSI images. This projection eliminates the "bow-ties" in VIIRS M and MERSI images. When selecting a segment that lies over the south pole (only Metop) the projection will show the countries outside the selected region.  I don't have that problem
for regions over the north pole. This is something that I need to solve.
See https://www.flickr.com/photos/137270544@N02/50610090861/in/datetaken-public/ <https://www.flickr.com/photos/137270544@N02/50610090861/in/datetaken-public/>; as an example of an Oblique Mercator projection.
As always you can download the latest release from https://github.com/hvanruys/EUMETCastView/releases <https://github.com/hvanruys/EUMETCastView/releases>;
Kind regards,
Hugo

Many thanks Hugo. All seems to be working well.
The Oblique Mercator Projection works well with VIIRS M and MERSI data and is very speedy and I like not needing the POI files for the projections.

Best Regards,
Douglas.

Hugo

Hello Ian,

Not sure what you mean with file extensions. It depends on the satellite which kind of image is transmitted.
For example Metop and Meteosat has a proprietary file structure, FY-3D is HDF5, GOES-16/17 is netCDF etc...
In EUMETCastView you don't have to bother with file extensions. The program will figure out the correct way to decode the images as
long as you set the program to the correct file directories.
Kind regards,
Hugo