From: MSG-1@groups.io On Behalf Of David J Taylor via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, 04 November, 2019 10:08
To: MSG-1 group <MSG-1@groups.io>
Subject: [MSG-1] New EUTELSAT satellite....

Any chance that EUMETSAT will get some transponders on this new 10B bird,
and will the footprint be any stronger?

http://www.satnews.com/story.php?number=924089076

geojohnt@...

David,

I've had a look around but can't find any technical spec for this satellite yet such as power contours, just press releases.

I would imagine it would have a bit more uumph than 10 A being a new satellite.
However, new satellite, more uumph, more money for a transponder?

With EUMETSAT already having capacity on Eutelsat 21B I suspect they wouldn't take out new capacity on 10B.
Depends I guess on whether 10A continues in service?

++++++++++++

In a message dated 04/11/2019 10:10:26 GMT Standard Time, gm8arv@... writes:

Any chance that EUMETSAT will get some transponders on this new 10B bird,
and will the footprint be any stronger?

I've had a look around but can't find any technical spec for this satellite yet such as power contours, just press releases.

I would imagine it would have a bit more uumph than 10 A being a new satellite.
However, new satellite, more uumph, more money for a transponder?

With EUMETSAT already having capacity on Eutelsat 21B I suspect they wouldn't take out new capacity on 10B.
Depends I guess on whether 10A continues in service?

The article says:

"EUTELSAT 10B satellite will carry two widebeam C- and Ku-band payloads, totalling 32 36 MHz equivalent transponders1 to ensure continuity of the missions of the EUTELSAT 10A satellite, whose operational life is scheduled to end in 2023."

Lewis might have his 8 World Championships by then!

geojohnt@...

David,

Ah, yes, I saw the info about the mix of transponders but missed the 'end of life' for 10A.

Fingers crossed, a direct transfer - and/or capacity on 9B instead of Eutelsat 21B.

Oh, yes, well, Lewis Hamilton might have his 9th by 2023?
One more to go to be level with Michael Schumacher.

In a message dated 04/11/2019 17:29:45 GMT Standard Time, gm8arv@... writes:

The article says:

"EUTELSAT 10B satellite will carry two widebeam C- and Ku-band payloads,
totalling 32 36 MHz equivalent transponders1 to ensure continuity of the
missions of the EUTELSAT 10A satellite, whose operational life is scheduled
to end in 2023."

Lewis might have his 8 World Championships by then!

Thomas Scheelen

David and John,

maybe a stupid question, but i missed the reason for the switch from 9B to 10A.

Since 9B is still there with strength beans i wonder why eumetsat didn't stay at 9B.

Beste Grüße

Am 4. November 2019 18:30:04 schrieb "David J Taylor via Groups.Io" <gm8arv=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io>:

David,

I've had a look around but can't find any technical spec for this satellite
yet such as power contours, just press releases.

I would imagine it would have a bit more uumph than 10 A being a new
satellite.
However, new satellite, more uumph, more money for a transponder?

With EUMETSAT already having capacity on Eutelsat 21B I suspect they
wouldn't take out new capacity on 10B.
Depends I guess on whether 10A continues in service?

The article says:

"EUTELSAT 10B satellite will carry two widebeam C- and Ku-band payloads,
totalling 32 36 MHz equivalent transponders1 to ensure continuity of the
missions of the EUTELSAT 10A satellite, whose operational life is scheduled
to end in 2023."

Lewis might have his 8 World Championships by then!

This e-mail was checked for spam by the freeware edition of CleanMail.
The freeware edition is restricted to personal and non-commercial use.
You can remove this notice by purchasing a commercial license:
http://antispam.byteplant.com/products/cleanmail/index.html

geojohnt@...

Hello Thomas,

Er well, for me it's a bit lost in 'the mists of time.'

We started off on Hotbird 13 degrees east with DVB-S.
Then if I recall correctly moved to E9B and then E10A.
The move to E10A may well have been when DVB-S2 was adopted?

Anyway, there were 'reasons' for moving satellite's, possibly commercial.

E10A Europe wide beam max power contour 48 dBm.
E9B Europe wide beam max power contour 51 dBm.
E21B - EUMETCast backup satellite Europe wide beam max power contour 47 dBm.

E9B has far less Ku-band transponders available than E10A as it's transmissions only starts at 11.727 GHz to 12.476 GHz.
Where E10A has the full Ku-band transmissions from 10.732 GHz to 12.680 GHz.

Best wishes,
John