My first Satpy image

R. Alblas

At last, I found time and PC to install satpy.

My first image:

http://www.alblas.demon.nl/wsat/data/Meteosat-11-20191212-SLO-1200-overview-westminster.png

A few problems: ImageMagick doesn't convert png to jpg, although the extension of the output file is .jpg. I did compile IM from source, but apparently something went wrong 'somewhere'. 'make check' did give one error message:

FAIL: Magick++/demo/demos.tap 5

Hm,...
For this reason also the Pytroll logo misses.
Also, some warnings about  "invalid value encountered in cos" etc. were given by satpy.
For a rough overvieuw what I did to install satpy see:

http://www.alblas.demon.nl/wsat/software/satpy.html

Rob.

Ernst Lobsiger

Hi Rob,

welcome to the PyTROLL/Satpy club. I never had a problem with IM as I always installed the distro package.
Sometimes I had to edit the IM policy file for more memory when making very BIG images (e..g. GOES16).
In my distro this is found under /etc/ImageMagick-6/policy.xml.  You can usually ignore the python warnings.

P.S. There is a typo "Edinbourg" instead of "Edinburgh" in all my scripts.

R. Alblas

"Solved" the problem. The program  is now called 'magick' and not 'convert'.

Problem with source code, which gives 'convert', is that some jpeg headerfiles are missing; configure did give an error message and apparently just left out jpeg support.

I did replace 'convert' with 'magick' (which i did download directly) and now jpeg works. Though for text I had to add explicit a font type because default helvetica doesn't work (also not with 'convert')

Regards,
Rob.

On 26-01-2022 11:33, Ernst Lobsiger via groups.io wrote:
Hi Rob,

welcome to the PyTROLL/Satpy club. I never had a problem with IM as I always installed the distro package.
Sometimes I had to edit the IM policy file for more memory when making very BIG images (e..g. GOES16).
In my distro this is found under /etc/ImageMagick-6/policy.xml.  You can usually ignore the python warnings.

P.S. There is a typo "Edinbourg" instead of "Edinburgh" in all my scripts.

Ernst Lobsiger

Rob,

the "convert" versus "magick" is primarily a Windows related problem. Windows has a file system utility called convert.exe.
(C:\ > where convert.exe C:\Windows\System32\convert.exe). That's why under Windows they rather use "magick convert ..."

Christian Peters

Rob,

I used the build in package at my Debian/Devuan install. No problems.
Saw the same problem while compiling IM so I changed to the package version of the distro.

Regards,

Christian