Topics

MSG Data Manager - some settings not kept/saved

Kobus Botha

I run two different versions of Msg Data Manager for Msg 1 and 4 located at Program Files and the other at C/Tools. They don't keep/save some of their settings. Any help please.
Kobus Botha-South Africa

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

I run two different versions of Msg Data Manager for Msg 1 and 4 located at Program Files and the other at C/Tools. They don't keep/save some of their settings. Any help please.
Kobus Botha-South Africa

Kobus,

1. Don't install any of my software in C:\Program Files.

2. Use (for example) two directories in C:\Tools\, such as C:\Tools\MSG-1\ and C:\Tools\MSG-3\

3. The file names for the two executables need to be different, as the settings (stored in the registry) are tied to the executable file names. This is covered here https://www.satsignal.eu/software/faq.htm#rss with an example using the full-scan and rapid-scan data streams. You can see that the program names are:

MsgDataManager.exe

MsgDataManager-RSS.exe

Other file names are also changed to keep the file set consistent.

Kobus Botha

Hi David
You said somewhere you are retired- but it seems to be it will never happen!
Thanks for your detailed answer to my problem.Really highly appreciated!
Kobus

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

Hi David
You said somewhere you are retired- but it seems to be it will never happen!
Thanks for your detailed answer to my problem.Really highly appreciated!
Kobus
==================================

I've been working for myself since 2000 and reached nominal retirement age in 2013, when state and work pensions automatically kicked in. Since then I've been concentrating rather more on things which interest me, so a state of semi-retirement, but increasingly "semi"!

geojohnt@...

Er, David,

MTG and Metop second generation are not far off!

+++++++++++++++

Hi David
You said somewhere you are retired- but it seems to be it will never happen!
Thanks for your detailed answer to my problem.Really highly appreciated!
Kobus
==================================

I've been working for myself since 2000 and reached nominal retirement age
in 2013, when state and work pensions automatically kicked in.  Since then
I've been concentrating rather more on things which interest me, so a state
of semi-retirement, but increasingly "semi"!

Er, David,

MTG and Metop second generation are not far off!

===================================

Indeed.

As I will be unlikely to offer support towards the end of the lifetime of those satellites, I leave the software writing to the other enthusiasts. Perhaps as the EUMETSAT Data Taylor (!) service develops, the need for individual dedicated software will diminish.

James Brown

On 28 Mar 2020, at 17:38, David J Taylor via Groups.Io <david-taylor=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

Er, David,

MTG and Metop second generation are not far off!

Indeed.

As I will be unlikely to offer support towards the end of the lifetime of those satellites, I leave the software writing to the other enthusiasts. Perhaps as the EUMETSAT Data Taylor (!) service develops, the need for individual dedicated software will diminish.

Good luck with that!