MSG data access.

johnrigsec@...

All,

I'm delighted and proud to announce changes to EUMETSAT's MSG Data Access
Policy which I have been striving for, for many years now, since I obtained
the 'no fee
for UK amateur users' Agreement from the UK Met. Office.

At the recent EUMETSAT Council meeting it was agreed that:

Amateur users would now be categorised as educational users.

There will be a common policy of free access to MSG data for all amateurs
across Europe in the EUMETSAT Member States.

Both these decisions I have worked hard and tirelessly for over the years
liaising with
the UK Met. Office, EUMETSAT, the EUMETSAT Council and WMO on behalf
of amateurs be they RIG member or not.

I am proud that my efforts have, I hope, have influenced some decisions.

I would like to thank the following for their patience, help advice and
trust:

Dick Francis - ex EUMETSAT,
Volker Gaertner - EUMETSAT,
Gordon Bridge - EUMETSAT

Also, Sally, Pamela, and previously Siân and all at OPS who put up with
endless
e-mail's and phone calls.

Colin Cuthbert at the UK Met. Office.

And, officers of Werkgroep Kunstmanen who had regular discussions with the
Dutch Met. Office KNMI and undertook a recent demonstration and talk at the
KNMI of amateur reception and processing of MSG data.

Finally, I believe the co-operation and technical feedback that many of you
taking
part in the EUMETCast trials have offered EUMETSAT has also aided the cause.
I know EUMETSAT are very appreciative of your feedback.

I'm very happy about these decisions and there is yet more good news to come.
More of that later.

Regards,
John Tellick.
Secretary.
Remote Imaging Group.

I'm delighted and proud to announce changes to EUMETSAT's MSG Data
Access Policy which I have been striving for, for many years now...

John,

Could I add my personal thanks to those you have already received
for the work you have done in this respect?

I know that dealing with such organisations is not easy, as they
have defined ways of working, and you have to fit in with those ways
or you make no progress at all. Things can seem to move very
slowly, and it does not help to try and force things along. Many
within the organisations genuinely do their best, but this is not
always visible to outsiders.

I have said before that I think your patience and political skills
in dealing with these issues are unmatched, and I am delighted that
the amateur community has been able to benefit from your talents!

Many thanks,
David

johnrigsec@...

In a message dated 13-12-03 14:59:59 GMT Standard Time,
david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk writes:

John,

Could I add my personal thanks to those you have already received
for the work you have done in this respect?

I know that dealing with such organisations is not easy, as they
have defined ways of working, and you have to fit in with those ways
or you make no progress at all. Things can seem to move very
slowly, and it does not help to try and force things along. Many
within the organisations genuinely do their best, but this is not
always visible to outsiders.

I have said before that I think your patience and political skills
in dealing with these issues are unmatched, and I am delighted that
the amateur community has been able to benefit from your talents!

Many thanks,

Thank you very much - praise indeed.

OK, enough gloating.
We need to remember that EUMETSAT are governed by the EUMETSAT Council -
which
is made up of the Met. Offices of the Member States.
For that reason one needed to 'pursued' several parties rather than EUMETSAT
itself and to this end many of my agency contacts have played a role.

This takes time - which I have, patience - which I have, I don't know about
'political
skill', there are some who would strongly disagree with that notion.
But it always appeared to me that 'banging the table' or making demands was
not the
right way to go about it and would have got me nowhere.

Yes, it has taken time - a long time - but we got there in the end and if you
look at the MSG data data 'price list' you will see just what a privileged
position we are in.

And, there is even more good news to come.

Regards,
John Tellick.