Topics

MSG-1 Channel 5

Douglas Deans <douglas@...>

Has anyone else noticed the dreadful quality of channel 5 in the last few
days (at least).
I normally only take 2,4,5,9 and 12 but have now switched to all HRIT to
check others.
It looks like slippage on alternate scans lines and indeed reminds me of the
fault that Meteor 3-5 had for so long except in this case it is across the
whole image. (and obviously for completely different reasons !).
Other channels now coming in, but it does appear the quality issue is only
with channel 5.

Luca Bertagnolio <lucaberta@...>

Yup, was offline travelling for a few days, came back yesterday and
noticed that too. Only seen on channel 5 though, as you say.

Luca

--- In MSG-1@..., "Douglas Deans" <douglas@d...> wrote:
Has anyone else noticed the dreadful quality of channel 5 in the
last few
days (at least).

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

--- In MSG-1@..., "Douglas Deans" <douglas@d...> wrote:
Has anyone else noticed the dreadful quality of channel 5 in the
last few days (at least).
I normally only take 2,4,5,9 and 12 but have now switched to all
HRIT to check others.
It looks like slippage on alternate scans lines and indeed reminds
me of the fault that Meteor 3-5 had for so long except in this case
it is across the whole image. (and obviously for completely
different reasons !).
Other channels now coming in, but it does appear the quality issue
is only with channel 5.

Agreed, Douglas & Luca.

Suggest you report to Eumetsat.

Ian S Deans <ian@...>

Not a channel I look at much, but unless I am missing something I don't see
any problems with that channel over the last two days.

Ian.

PS. Send me a sample direct for comparison.

--- In MSG-1@..., "Ian S Deans" <ian@i...> wrote:
Not a channel I look at much, but unless I am missing something I
don't see
any problems with that channel over the last two days.

Ian.
It seems to have been fixed from the 1445 repeat cycle. Look at the
cloud edges in an earlier image from today.

Douglas Deans <douglas@...>

Not a channel I look at much, but unless I am missing something I don't
see
any problems with that channel over the last two days.

Ian.

Have you looked at 1:1. (pre 14.45 today). It does look ok on the
thumbnail.

Douglas.