From: "Ian S Deans" <ian@isdeans.freeserve.co.uk>
To: <MSG-1@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2003 5:19 PM
Subject: [MSG-1] MSG

HRIT data has stopped mid-way through 15.30 UTC cycle although FSD data
appears ok. Not presently taking LRIT so cannot comment.

Ian
agreed. (with GOES 9 top segment missing on IR/WV)

Douglas.

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁒󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡Ί

HRIT data has stopped mid-way through 15.30 UTC cycle although
FSD data
appears ok. Not presently taking LRIT so cannot comment.

Ian
agreed. (with GOES 9 top segment missing on IR/WV)

Douglas.
Look more carefully, and you will see that the data from the
satellite is missing, the actual segment is there. Sorry to be
pedantic, but it's important to distinguish where the problem is.

Latest news: restart at 16:30.

Douglas Deans <douglas@...>

HRIT data has stopped mid-way through 15.30 UTC cycle although
FSD data
appears ok. Not presently taking LRIT so cannot comment.

Ian
agreed. (with GOES 9 top segment missing on IR/WV)

Douglas.
Look more carefully, and you will see that the data from the
satellite is missing, the actual segment is there. Sorry to be
pedantic, but it's important to distinguish where the problem is.

Latest news: restart at 16:30.

Well spotted. Too easy with current segment unreliability to fall into that
trap !
New boundary overlay excellent.... could not be better.....many thanks.

Ian S Deans <ian@...>

Ok point taken, although as a newcomer to this hobby that information was
not available to me. However I have learned my lesson and will leave all
future reporting of problems to others.

Ian

--- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "Ian S Deans" <ian@i...> wrote:
Ok point taken, although as a newcomer to this hobby that
information was not available to me. However I have learned my
lesson and will leave all future reporting of problems to others.

Ian
Ian, it sounds as if I have upset you. That was not my intention.
Reports from everyone are valuable, and your input will be be very
welcome.

What I was referring to was that, in the case of both Foreign
Satellite Data and native MSG-1 data, there are many places where
the transmission can break down, and it may be important for trials
purposes to try and be as accurate as possible in an assessment of
where the problem is.

You can tell whether the problem is with the DVB link or not by
looking at the nature of the break.

- if the break is an absolute straight line, and it falls on a
multiple of 464 lines, then it is most likely due to the Eumetcast
link (i.e. at Eumetsat, their link to the satellite uplink, your
reception etc.)

- if the break is not at a 464-line boundary, but straight, then the
problem may be in the ground segent processing

- if the break is a line at an angle, possibly slightly curved, then
the problem is likely some data missing from the satellite. The
satellite does not have a perfectly straight-on view of the Earth
(indeed it is actually at 10W) and the data needs to be rectified to
look as if it is a perfect straight-on picture. What are straight
lines as seen by the satellite, its own scan lines, will therefore
appear as curved lines in the final image. Other artefacts of the
satellite position and the subsequent rectification include the
imperfect coverage at the eastern part of the globe.

I hope that helps!

Douglas Deans <douglas@...>