Topics

motorised dish

diogenes1@...

Hello to you all,
My low level 1.2m dish suffered a calamity, I fell upon it, distorted it and know it is of no further use! Please do not ask for any further details, it is just too embarrassing.  I thought I would replace it with a 1m dish located higher up and on the side of my home. In that position it will need a motorised device to focus accurately, no climbling for us octogenarians, at least that is what I am told. I have two questions for the Group, the first is what hardware should I get and the second is does someone know an individual in my  area (SW Northumberland/Cumbria) who might be competent to do the installation.
Regards, Peter

George Sz

Dear Peter,

I would advise against of installing a motorized dish. The bigger the dish, the more difficult it is to motorize it (needs more accurate calibration which may take hours, depending on the experience of the installer). Also please keep in mind that motorizing is not intended for manual focusing but to receive several satellites using a single dish (one at a time of course).

Therefore I highly recommend installing a fixed dish which is a lot easier to align. I've used a 1m Gibertini branded dish with my TBS card before, but that's nowhere near good enough to receive HVS. It's good for the Basic service, however. I'm using an old 1.8m Prodelin plastic dish now. There should be a smaller, 1.4m version of this dish available, usually used for ATM VSAT links. If you can find a second hand version of that, that should grant you decent reception. The only downside is the VSAT versions have a completely different LNB mount. I had to have one made for mine.

As for new antennae, quality varies a lot unfortunately. Gibertini should be OK, since that seems to come with a more or less accurate geometry.

Regards,
George

Cornish Man

Hi

I had my 110cm dish on a Stag Hh120 motor.

While it did work. I sometimes had problems pointing it back to 10 E and had to adjust it to get a good signal.

Now its on a fixed mount and works fine

Jan from Cornwall UK

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Yes George, my reason for the motor was to fine tune the focusing without having to use ladders etc. But of course you are right about the accuracy of the gears etc. Although having said that when you see these large professional dishes they can only be moved using motors but obviously of a different class and price. Maybe I should just replace the dish at ground level, where I can get at it, and manually focus as before.
Regards, Peter
--
Securely sent with Tutanota. Get your own encrypted, ad-free mailbox:
https://tutanota.com

George Sz

A properly mounted dish should not need any readjustments whatsoever. My 1.8m dish has been standing on its tripod mount for years now, without requiring any sort of adjustment. Since no tracking is required for a geostationary satellite, I don't see the point of using motors, really.

As you mentioned, it would still be preferable to mount the new dish within arm's reach, just to be safe. Sometimes the LNB blows etc.

geojohnt@...

Hello Peter and George,

Firstly Peter, did you use a motorised dish for zapping several satellite locations?
I'm presuming you did but as George said, a motorised dish is not really satisfactory to align the dish for EUMETCast.
Once aligned accurately, a dish for EUMETCast should stay that way.
And accurate dish alignment for EUMETCast is quite critical.

If you used it for satellite zapping, which satellites were of interest?
You can get multi satellite reception from one dish with a LNB bar and multi LNB's.

Also you said your dish was mounted low down - so can you place a new dish on a patio stand or tripod.

Right now is the time - with solar outage, to look for a location where a dish would be fully lit by sunlight at your time of solar outage.

George, depending on your location, of course, a 1 m dish is quite adequate for HVS-1 reception in England and most of central Europe.
I'm in SW London and a 1 m dish with an Inverto Black Ultra quad LNB and an SR1 receiver gives me an SNR of ~ 13.0 dB on TP 1.
Under clear sky conditions at certain times of the day the SNR is 13.3 dB for a while.

[...]

Thank you John for your comments. I had intended to wall mount the dish with a motor for focusing but as George has explained to me how impractical this is I shall mount the new dish, probably 1.25m, the same size as the old one, at ground level and as before focus by hand. It is only for Eumetcast using a quad LNB.
Regards, Peter