Mode codes for EUmetsat

Cornish Man

Hello

Does anyone know which Modes Codes to select for the TBS data services for EUmetSat?
On the instruction manual it says to select two.
But I contacted EUmetsat when I was having problems with the 11263 transponder (turned out I had to restart my PC a couple of times since I wasn't getting 600 & 601 PID's)
And they told me to select all the Mode codes.
Has anyone else did this?

Cheers

Jan

Alan Curnow

For the Basic Service you need MODCOD 8PSK3/5 and for HVS-1 (or HVS-2 on TP2) you need MODCOD 16APSK2/3

Don't know what TBS Card you have but page 15 of the following document should help

https://www-cdn.eumetsat.int/files/2020-07/TBS-6903_6908%20DVB-S2%20Receiver%20EUMETCast%20Windows%20Setup%20Guide.pdf

Cheers,
Alan

Ernst Lobsiger

On Thu, Aug 19, 2021 at 06:10 AM, Cornish Man wrote:
But I contacted EUmetsat when I was having problems with the 11263 transponder (turned out I had to restart my PC a couple of times since I wasn't getting 600 & 601 PID's)
And they told me to select all the Mode codes.
Jan,

the only setting that makes sense is 8PSK3/5 for MODCOD of the Basic Service *only* (if you have a marginal SNR and HVS-1 causes a lot of missed packets for Basic too).
In all other cases take all MODCODES. If you have a TBS card taking MODCOD 16APSK2/3 will not work on transponder T1 at all. HVS-1 must *always* be received together
with the Basic Service (even if you do not setup a Tellicast Client for the Basic Service). This is a problem of DMA buffers in the TBS card PCIe bridge. The SR1 has no such
problems. For HVS-2 on T2 EUMETSAT has installed a minimum kind of fake traffic that does the same as Basic on T1: Keeps DMA buffers busy to avoid Tellicast timeouts.

The whole story goes all back to the start of T2 when SR1 users had no problems with receiving HVS-2 while TBS card users had timeouts and could not receive HVS-2.

Hope this helps

On 19/08/2021 23:13, Alan Curnow wrote:
For the Basic Service you need MODCOD 8PSK3/5 and for HVS-1 (or HVS-2 on TP2) you need MODCOD 16APSK2/3
[]
Cheers,
Alan
Just checked, and on my single-cable, dual tuner TBS6903 system:

- for TP1 I have "All"

- for TP2 "16APSK2/3"

I don't have a BAS TelliCast taking the TP1 BAS data, that system is just HVS-1 and HVS-2.