Topics

missing segments / PC resets

Dave Martin <Dave.Martin@...>

From: David J Taylor
To: SatSignal@...
Sent: Monday, November 03, 2003 6:05 PM
<snip>
As Douglas has said, sometimes a hard reboot clears up things.....
additionally, concerning the efficacy of "re-boots", I think there are times
when we suffer from the growing 'power' of PCs and kit therein, and we can
be mislead into thinking we have reset our PC when it hasn't =all= reset..

Modern PCs very rarely have what we used to refer to as the last resort of
the BRS (Big Red Switch) - instead there is sophisticated power management,
and the front-panel power switch is frequently only a signal button.

Even when "off" many modern PCs have wake-on-LAN and even wake-on-keyboard
activity - and as a result, many preserve power to the PCI bus even when
ostensibly shut-down; some also keep keyboards and even USB ports powered-up
as well. Co-incidentally, many plug-in cards have more on-board processing,
and these satellite cards (e.g. B2C2 engine) are a perfect example with
significant processing and on-board I2C communications.

Some plug-in boards don't always "hear" a reset signal (particularly if they
have hung) and the next reaction of attempting a 'hard reset' by
power-cycling the machine using the machine's power button may not in fact
be sufficient to actually power-cycle the PCI cards ! - in extremis, it
may be necessary to externally remove the mains supply and wait awhiles for
the smoothing capacitors to discharge .....

Dave M

This email has been scanned by the Manxnet Mail Plus anti-virus system.
http://www.manx.net/solutions/mailplushome.asp

Just to let you know that I seem to have a lot of unexplained
missing segments overnight after a number of really good days, so
I've also taken the full mains-off reset route this morning.....

I wonder if it happens when Tellique's memory allocation gets too
high?

Douglas Deans <douglas@...>

Just to let you know that I seem to have a lot of unexplained
missing segments overnight after a number of really good days, so
I've also taken the full mains-off reset route this morning.....

I wonder if it happens when Tellique's memory allocation gets too
high?

From memory (excuse the pun) it seems to happen to those who keep their
computers on permanently or at least for long periods at a time.
As you know I switch off at night and back on early morning and have never
experienced this.
Would that not further support your suggestion.

Peter Benney <tugboat@...>

Just to let you know that I seem to have a lot of unexplained
missing segments overnight after a number of really good days, so
I've also taken the full mains-off reset route this morning.....

I wonder if it happens when Tellique's memory allocation gets too
high?
David,

I can report since 2/11 1500z only one missing segment yesterdays 0300 Ch7 Seg 6. After two weeks of bad segment loss the system has settled down. The last reboot of the RX PC was on 2/11at 0945z but not a full mains off.

Does your Tellique log report the same Announcement Channel "Lost Messages" or " file ended/interrupted" messages that I had.

Peter

Roger Mawhinney <roger@...>

Memory fragmentation is a problem for machines which are left on for a long
period of time. I can remember having to reboot a server every week, simply
to keep performance acceptable. I suspect that it can't be avoided any
more than disk fragmentation but will be dependent on how programs allocate
and release memory. It will of course be cleared on re-boot.
Regards,
Roger

|------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
|---------------------~-->
|---------------------------------------------------------------
|------~->

|To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
|

|Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
|http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Guy Martin <agm@...>

Win2K workstations get 'grumpy' if left on for long periods and I and many others I know re-boot servers weekly. I have one server running a web based application that needs re-booting nightly. It seems to be a memory leak that causes that particular problem. Whether its the app not releasing memory or the kernel not realising it has been released I don't know. From postings to this group it looks as though something similar is happening here. I have never experienced this problem perhaps because the longest I have left the machines on is about 10 hours. I use Win2K but the code in XP is pretty much the same.

Cheers, Guy

|------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
|---------------------~-->
|Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
|Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the
|US & Canada.
|http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
|http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/RLYolB/TM
|---------------------------------------------------------------
|------~->

|To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
|

|Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
|http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

----------

I can report since 2/11 1500z only one missing segment yesterdays
0300 Ch7 Seg 6. After two weeks of bad segment loss the system has
settled down. The last reboot of the RX PC was on 2/11at 0945z but
not a full mains off.
You are lucky, then Peter. Since about 0215 this morning I am
missing about one segment in ten! The reboot had no effect. It is
a little windier today, so perhaps it is the wind direction that is
critical? Having said that, there are no "Uncorrected Blocks" on
the Setup4PC display which has been running continuously since this
morning.

Does your Tellique log report the same Announcement Channel "Lost
Messages" or " file ended/interrupted" messages that I had.

Peter
No "Lost Messages" but lots of "ended/interrupted" ones......
Perhaps the V2.3.1 client simply doesn't report "Lost" messages any
more! I have no idea what causes this - I wish I did.

From: Roger Mawhinney
[]
Memory fragmentation is a problem for machines which are left on
for a long period of time.

Roger, Guy, I would agree with you both that in some circumstances
frequent reboots may be required. However:

- this PC has run for weeks without requiring a reboot

- within 4 days of a reboot, this missing segments problem developed

- rebooting the PC this morning has resulted in no change with the
missing segments problem.

so I can't see it being an inherent software problem. Having said
that, I notice that there is a Web server running on that PC, and I
thought I had stopped this service previously. So I will now
permanently stop that service and reboot again.....

You are lucky, then Peter. Since about 0215 this morning I am
missing about one segment in ten! The reboot had no effect. It
is
a little windier today, so perhaps it is the wind direction that
is
critical? Having said that, there are no "Uncorrected Blocks" on
the Setup4PC display which has been running continuously since
this
morning.
Well, my problem just got worse and worse. Yes, there was some
wind, but the errors kept on happening. I tried a full mains-off
reboot, and the errors were still there, uncorrected blocks and
all. I completely lost touch with any data about an hour ago, with
normal quality and SNR values, but the the BER stuck (it seemed) at
the very high value of 1.2E-2!

So I tried a "soft" reboot, and now all is sweetness and light!
It's still windy. I put it down to a consumer-grade DVB card
perhaps loosing lock, but I think that's unfair without better
evidence.