Missing Segments

Douglas Deans <douglas@...>

Luca,

Thanks for that.

I did raise this point some time ago, as to how any updates in the
software would be made available to users. Clearly, as the Tellique
software is a chargeable item, it cannot just be put up on a general
access FTP site. Perhaps there will be a chance to update when the
eToken is purchased?

By the way: the tqrecv.exe file I have does not carry an embedded
version number, so I would regard it as unfinished if it was my own
software! However, it does produce the correct version information
in the log file when tqrecv.exe starts.

I have the original version. Indeed I was given a special password to
download an upgrade to get me to 2.3.0a !
What's your opinion David. Should I upgrade... are there any known benefits
or indeed have I restrictions with the older software.... or should I let
happy sleeping dogs lie !
It seems from what I have heard that the majority of the improvements are
automation in installation. Mine was a complete manual job.

I have the original version. Indeed I was given a special
password to download an upgrade to get me to 2.3.0a !

Same here....

What's your opinion David. Should I upgrade... are there any
known benefits or indeed have I restrictions with the older
software.... or should I let happy sleeping dogs lie !
It seems from what I have heard that the majority of the
improvements are automation in installation. Mine was a complete
manual job.
Douglas, there is supposedly a lower chance of missing data with the
newer version. A number of us are running with it sucessfully, so
my advice would be for all users to upgrade. How Eumetsat wish to
mechanise this is currently unknown. As you note, the password
protected FTP site would be one possibility, as that mechanism is
already there....

Peter Benney <tugboat@...>

After a reboot at 1339 yesterday cycles from 1345 to 2345 were received complete.
But today I have the following missing segments...........
Date: 2003-10-31
Cycle: 0000 - msg-ch11, seg: 4
Cycle: 0445 - msg-ch12, seg: 17 20
Cycle: 0630 - msg-ch03, seg: 4
Cycle: 0645 - msg-ch12, seg: 8
Cycle: 0945 - msg-ch01, seg: 4 - lrit-ch01, seg: 4 - lrit-ch03, seg: 4

I have V2.3.0a of the Tellique software, perhaps an upgrade to V2.3.1 would be the answer.
I will email Eumetsat and request for an upgrade.

Peter

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

--- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Benney" <tugboat@g...> wrote:
After a reboot at 1339 yesterday cycles from 1345 to 2345 were
received complete.
But today I have the following missing segments...........
[]
Peter
Just to let you knwo we are thinking about you, for yesterday (Nov
01) I got no missing segments at all. If you (or anyone else) got
any missing segments, then the cause is something local in the
installation or path to the satellite. You might also want to check
the Tellique log files around the times of the missing segments in
case that shows up anything.

Peter Benney <tugboat@...>

Just to let you knwo we are thinking about you, for yesterday (Nov
01) I got no missing segments at all. If you (or anyone else) got
any missing segments, then the cause is something local in the
installation or path to the satellite.
David,

I had missing segments yesterday between 0000 and 1200 but none missing between 1215 and Midnight. Today I have missing segments 0300, 0330, 0345 and 0700 cycles. TheTellique software showed a red icon at 0947 with bad segment loss on the 0930 cycle and 0945 cycle missing after a reboot. Present weather Wind SSE 15 kts with heavy rain (8.0 mm/hr)

You might also want to check
the Tellique log files around the times of the missing segments in
case that shows up anything.
I note a series of "Lost Mesages" and " file ended/interrupted"

No changes have been made to the installation prior to the onset of the missing segments.
It will be interesting to see if this afternoons reception is good. I will soon be able to use my 1m patio mounted dish now the trees had shed their leaves. The 88cm motorised dish is pole mounted just above the roof gutter and close to the attached property. About 400m west of the dish is a water tower bristling with microwave links, a GSM phone cell and PSB UHF aerials. The dish is screened from this by the roof line. Satellite TV reception using this dish is very good even channels on the Sirius Nordic beam.

http://www.polarorbiter.co.uk/Graphics/Pict0019.JPG

Peter

David Strickland <David@...>

David,
Further to my post yesterday at 0830 I missed seg. 5 from
chans. 6,8,9,10,11 and seg.15 from chan 12. The interesting thing
here is channel 9 as it was amoung the groups of channels yesterday
as well! I would think that if the files sent were in groups of
channels then this is an unexpected result. Signal quality is a
steady 70-71% with SNR 10.8 a 88cm dish weather is good and dish is
very rigid mounted. Even in a strong gale little signal variation
occurs. The dropped segments look to me like a software problem. The
Sky star card is in the computer in the garage!! It has strong
cooling and certainly no overheat problems. CPU temperature is a nice
44C and system temp is 28C. It has three temperature controlled
cooling fans and as it is quite cool outside today nothing is working
very hard. I have not restarted since yesterday deliberately to watch
what happens.

Regards David S.

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

--- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "David Strickland" <David@s...> wrote:
David,
Further to my post yesterday at 0830 I missed seg. 5 from
chans. 6,8,9,10,11 and seg.15 from chan 12. The interesting thing
here is channel 9 as it was amoung the groups of channels
yesterday
as well! I would think that if the files sent were in groups of
channels then this is an unexpected result. Signal quality is a
steady 70-71% with SNR 10.8 a 88cm dish weather is good and dish
is
very rigid mounted. Even in a strong gale little signal variation
occurs. The dropped segments look to me like a software problem.
I am trying to get a better understanding of this. I made a plot of
the percent loss of segments versus channel number, expecting to
find that the channel where the files which were larger would have a
greater segment loss, and there was less likelhood of getting a
complete file. Similarly I had expected that LRIT data would be
more robust than HRIT data, but this also not seem to be the case
when the loss was at its worst. It suggested that some file
grouping was perhaps spreading the loss more equally across all
channels.

Guesswork, I'm afraid.

I don't expect any file grouping to be constant, by the way. I
(again) guess that there is a data stream and that all files of a
certain priority will be packaged for transmission in some sort
of "best fit to available packets" fashion. I don't know if the
IMPF software processes files in a strict channel order, or if there
are parallel processing tasks so the channel order for a particular
segment is random. I should study the log files, shouldn't I?

The Sky star card is in the computer in the garage!!
.. and so perhaps is subject to a larger temperature variation than
a "domestic" computer might expect to encounter?

Peter Benney <tugboat@...>

After perfect reception since Sunday afternoon I had a period of severe segment loss last night (5/11) between 2015 and 2115. The Tellique log was reporting (wrong interface address 192.168.238.238?). I suspect a red T icon was being displayed. The system returned to normal with no intervention.

Since 2115 yesterday I have had two lost segments
1330
Ch05, seg:5
Ch08, seg:5

Below a portion of the log showing one the wrong interface errors, there were also many "Lost Message" reports.

VRB:2003-11-05 20:18:13.856:Received new key 54173
VRB:2003-11-05 20:18:13.856:Received announcement for channel `EUMETSAT Data Channel 2', address 224.223.222.21:2511 (subscribed)
VRB:2003-11-05 20:18:14.169:Connecting to data channel `EUMETSAT Data Channel 2', address 224.223.222.21:2511 (invited)
ERR:2003-11-05 20:18:14.216:Failed to open data channel `EUMETSAT Data Channel 2', address 224.223.222.21:2511 (wrong interface address 192.168.238.238?)
MSG:2003-11-05 20:18:14.231:Disconnect from data channel `EUMETSAT Data Channel 2', address 224.223.222.21:2511 completed (channel closed)
VRB:2003-11-05 20:18:14.919:Received file 3fa959e900110b1d on channel `EUMETSAT Data Channel 3'
MSG:2003-11-05 20:18:14.966:File transmission 3fa959e900110b22 ended/interrupted: 4 files missing/incomplete.

I expect to receive version tqrecv 2.3.1 software tomorrow.

a_van_belle

--- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Benney" <tugboat@g...> wrote:
....The Tellique log was reporting (wrong interface address
192.168.238.238?)....

Hello Peter,

Looks like you have an IP conflict now and then. I guess the new TQ
won't be able to solve this.
Do you run XP ?
If so did you disable firewall and internet connection sharing ?

For XP right click on the Network option for the B2C2 Broadband
Receiver and click on the Properties option. Once the Properties
window appears, click on the Advanced tab. Verify that the Internet
Connection Firewall and Internet Connection Sharing options are NOT
checked.

As I run W2k (does not have buildin Firewall) I am not able to check
the tip above.

You can find more trouble shooting tips at:
http://download.isatplatform.com/Tech%
20Manual/06_TS_SatDirect_4163.pdf
beware of the broken link.

Please be cautious with this document, it does describe Internet over
DVB using C-band sat, Technistar-a-like card and a different TQ
version.
But it does have a good description on how to resolve the problem
that occurs if you have moved the card to another slot.
Browsing it you will see very familiar screens with just another
brand/name on it !

Greetings,
Arne van Belle

Today (Up to cycle 2045) I had only one missing segment;
Cycle 1800 MSG-ch05, seg 4 (could be a local problem over here)

Peter Benney <tugboat@...>

If so did you disable firewall and internet connection sharing ?
Hello Arne,

The XP firewall and connection sharing is disabled and have not seen this behaviour before. The previous periods of segment loss did not involve the IP address.

As a matter of interest what value do you have for your TCP Receive Window?

Thanks for the troubleshooting link.

Regards,

Peter

a_van_belle

--- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Benney" <tugboat@g...> wrote:
As a matter of interest what value do you have for your TCP Receive
Window?
TcpWindowSize = 642400
GlobalMaxTcpWindowSize = 642400
Tcp1323Opts = 1

Don't know if these large values (640 Kb) really are set by W2K. I
played with these settings in the beginning but never saw my
available memory decrease ! A clean W2K install sets 16Kb, XP sets
default to 64 KB.
Lateron we discovered that the problem was caused at Eumetsat's
ground segment but I never did reset these values afterwards !

Did see a remark regarding the PC's powersupply (400 W required ?) on
Satsignal. But I use a MSI barebone system with only 135 watts PSU
and the old revision Skystar.

Greetings,
Arne van belle

Roger Mawhinney <roger@...>

Peter
This rings a bell - sometime ago I tried an ADSL speed up program to
optimise my Internet settings. However, it was also trying to change the
TCP setting for the DVB card so I deinstalled it. Have you been trying any
software that might adjust internal windows and/or tcp settings?
Roger

|------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
|---------------------~--> Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits
|---------------------------------------------------------------
|------~->

Peter Benney <tugboat@...>

Have you been trying any software that might adjust internal windows and/or
tcp settings?
Roger,

Sometime ago we experimented with changes in the Tcp Window Size and like Arne I did not reset the values afterwards. I have a setting of 770880.

It would be useful if someone with a newly installed card could post the XP default settings for the B2C2 Broadband Receiver adapter. As far as I can recall my setting should be the default other than the TCP Window size.

Regards,

Peter

a_van_belle

Peter Wrote:
It would be useful if someone with a newly installed card could post the XP
default settings for the B2C2 Broadband Receiver adapter. As far as I can
recall my setting should be the default other than the TCP Window size.

Peter you can find "DefaultsXP.reg" on the Skystar installation CDROM.

Warning ! Never double click on *.reg files if you don't know what they are
for !

I compared 3 versions of this CDROM, 4.22 , 4.22B and 4.28, all set the
same values.
Below the reg file for XP with the hex values, I added the decimal values
and explanation in (..)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE&#92;SYSTEM&#92;CurrentControlSet&#92;Services&#92;Tcpip&#92;Parameters]
"SackOpts"=dword:00000001 (= on)
"TcpWindowSize"=dword:0000faf0 (= 64240 bytes)
"Tcp1323Opts"=dword:00000001 (= on)
"DefaultTTL"=dword:00000040 (= 64 =Time To Live in ms)
"EnablePMTUBHDetect"=dword:00000000 (= off)
"EnablePMTUDiscovery"=dword:00000001 (= on)
"GlobalMaxTcpWindowSize"=dword:0000faf0 (= 64240 bytes)

As you see in the key these values do apply to all Tcpip services, so if
you have tweaked your network or internet connection, this can have a
reverse effect on the Skystar !

Greetings,
Arne van Belle

Robert Moore

Peter, thanks for the suggestion - I have retuned in accordance with your
advice, but it seems to have made no difference.
I recently stiffened the mounting for my dish, so I wonder if recent wind could
actually have moved the dish itself on the pole? Will have to investigate
further over the weekend.
Thanks again
Robert

------------------------------
Robert Moore

tel and fax: 44 (0) 1352 714456

Peter Benney <tugboat@...>

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE&#92;SYSTEM&#92;CurrentControlSet&#92;Services&#92;Tcpip&#92;Parameters]
"SackOpts"=dword:00000001 (= on)
"TcpWindowSize"=dword:0000faf0 (= 64240 bytes)
"Tcp1323Opts"=dword:00000001 (= on)
"DefaultTTL"=dword:00000040 (= 64 =Time To Live in ms)
"EnablePMTUBHDetect"=dword:00000000 (= off)
"EnablePMTUDiscovery"=dword:00000001 (= on)
"GlobalMaxTcpWindowSize"=dword:0000faf0 (= 64240 bytes)

As you see in the key these values do apply to all Tcpip services, so if
you have tweaked your network or internet connection, this can have a
reverse effect on the Skystar !
Arne,

Thanks for the above information. I have checked the settings on my RX PC and the values agree except as I suspected the Tcp Windows Size. I have now changed this to the default 64240 bytes.

I have now upgraded to TQ 2.3.1.

Regards,

Peter