Topics

Missed & recovered packets - seeking current version of BDADataEx or driver for TBS5927 USB box

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

Been configuring a replacement PC for EUMETCast - Basic Service only. Windows-10/64 most recent version and updates. The PC it is replacing ran the same OS, a TBS5925 receiver, and typically showed zero losses. The new PC:

- When fed from an Ayecka SR1 it has zero TelliCast packet loss.

- When fed from a TBS5927 USB receiver (acoustically noisy, aren't they!) it shows a steady rate of packets missed and recovered - see:

https://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/tellicast-penguin-bas.html

Now it's only about 70 packets a day, but it /should/ be zero! I'm trying to isolate this issue. The differences between the two configurations are:

- Connection, network or USB: The TBS5927 is plugged into one of two USB 3.0 slots in the motherboard. This in the hope that the USB 3 is a separate hub, and all my other devices are USB 2.

- Interface software: Standard network software or BDADataEx v.1.1.4.9. Is that the most recent or most suitable version? I see the same missed/recovered effect on Arne van Belle's system but I don't know what BDADataEx version he is running, and this software is the one item in common.

So it seems that the TelliCast 2.14.6 software isn't getting all the packets it should, at least within the timeframe of its correction capability. Is there a more recent version of the TBS5927 driver than that on the TBS Web site (TBS 5927 USB DVBS/S2 BDA, 1.0.0.6, 05/07/2019) / TAP-Windows (DVB) Provider V9, 9.0.0.9 02/07/2012), or a more recent BDADataEx? Or?

Thanks,

Ian Deans

On 26/08/2020 07:10, David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴 🇪🇺 via groups.io wrote:
[...]

David I would recommend that you disconnect the fan on the 5927 for quieter running.

I have 3 receivers ( normally only 1 or 2 in use )- 5925,5927 and SR1 and even with the fan disconnected the 5927 is the coolest of the three by a long way.

David I would recommend that you disconnect the fan on the 5927 for quieter running.

I have 3 receivers ( normally only 1 or 2 in use )- 5925,5927 and SR1 and even with the fan disconnected the 5927 is the coolest of the three by a long way.

==============================

Thanks, Ian. If it gets to be too annoying I'll do that!

Even if all your other devices are USB2. Have you tried to connect the TBS5927 USB2 too?
Maybe you can even connect some other USB2 devices to USB3 ports. Just my 2 cents.

Even if all your other devices are USB2. Have you tried to connect the TBS5927 USB2 too?
Maybe you can even connect some other USB2 devices to USB3 ports. Just my 2 cents.

Ernst
===================================

Ernst,

Thanks for the suggestion! No, I haven't. However, the previous TBS5925 was also connected to a USB 3 port, although that was on a PCIe expansion card, so definitely a different hub. I really wanted to check the software versions first before making any hardware changes.

In theory USB2 devices should work on USB3. But in the real world who knows?
In any case AFAIK the TBS5927 jack clearly says "USB2.0". That's why I asked.

In theory USB2 devices should work on USB3. But in the real world who knows?
In any case AFAIK the TBS5927 jack clearly says "USB2.0". That's why I asked.

==========================

Yes, you are quite right about compatibility issues! I just looked back to see whether I had noted /why/ the TBS5925 was using a USB 3 port on the old PC, but I couldn't find out.

It may have been related to trying to get an Airspy R2 working, which outputs 12-bit IQ data at 10 MHz on a USB 2 port, so that's 2 x 12 x 10 Mbps => 240 Mbps, which, in practice, is pushing it on a USB 2.0 port. Hence tests on USB 3.

I'm hoping anyone, particularly CrazyCat, can come back on the driver and software versions.

CrazyCat

Hello David,

Latest BDADataEx install - http://crazycat69.narod.ru/sattelite/DVBDataEx/BDADataEx-setup.zip
TAP driver not updated since 2014, so maybe you need update only exe - http://crazycat69.narod.ru/sattelite/DVBDataEx/BDADataEx.rar

Latest 5927 driver 1.0.0.7 - http://www.tbsiptv.com/download/tbs5927/tbs5927_windows-driver_v1.0.0.7.zip

From: CrazyCat

Hello David,

Latest BDADataEx install - http://crazycat69.narod.ru/sattelite/DVBDataEx/BDADataEx-setup.zip
TAP driver not updated since 2014, so maybe you need update only exe - http://crazycat69.narod.ru/sattelite/DVBDataEx/BDADataEx.rar

Latest 5927 driver 1.0.0.7 - http://www.tbsiptv.com/download/tbs5927/tbs5927_windows-driver_v1.0.0.7.zip

Many thanks!

The TAP and my BDADataEx were from that same download, but the TBS driver I had was 1.0.0.6 (downloaded as the latest from their Web site a few days ago). I've now updated to the 1.0.0.7 and will monitor that. If that's no better, I still have the USB 2.0 port to try.