Topics

Mirroring other peoples thoughts

e-mail peter.stein

Hi Everyone,
I am glad that the topic of the future of our pursuit has come to the surface. Over past years
we have been totally reliant on David's software, his energy and skill in keeping up to date
with the changes made by the systems owners.

We have also very fortunate that David has the same enjoyment that we have in seeing satellite
imagery work and providing professional output on screen at very reasonable cost. Some years
ago I worked as technical support in a local university. Part of my job was buying and supporting
commercial  remote sensing software such as Erdas and Arcinfo for 60 students and staff.
Also I used to buy single frames of legacy Landsat and SPOT data. Anything to do with remote
sensing was eye wateringly expensive even though discounted for HE use. It made me realise
how lucky we were as a group having an enthusiastic software engineer like David producing
a robust suite of software to provide time current imagery in our homes with a quality that is up
there with the professionals.

We need another David to carry the interest onwards and I for one would still be quite happy to
pay for it. Without software for use by the amateur sector that keeps pace with the ever evolving
requirements of commercial interests I cannot see our hobby lasting in the long term. That will
be a very sad occurrence so will someone please make my prognosis wrong..
Pete

Jonathan Williams

Hi all,

Interesting indeed. I never transitioned to DVB-S2 (cannot believe it was more than 5 years ago), not because I didn’t want to but circumstances at the time meant paying £200+ on new equipment sadly wasn’t an option for me.

A TBS / Ayecka went on my ‘to purchase’ list … and more than 5 years later it remains on there. I have always kept an eye on the groups but like some of you, other hobbies and interests have consumed me.

Like most of us, I have been at home for weeks with more to come therefore I have ensured I have made use of every day getting things done I thought I’d be doing in my retirement! One of the tasks on my list was to ‘sort my Eumetcast stuff out’. So the first blow was to hear about David’s retirement (enjoy David, enjoy!)

Then reading more about the technical requirements (and I consider myself technical) and the availability of much data online has just about finished off any idea I had of resurrecting my system

Very sad. The weather is still a massive part of my life and my several ageing Davis stations keep me busy with their maintenance requirements!
But I have to say, I think the TBS / Ayecka are going to remain on that purchase list for the foreseeable. I can’t bring myself to delete them.

Whilst I have been a pretty much silent member, it is lovely to see so many familiar names over the years still posting.

Oh .. and for the record, my Timestep APT reception laptop still brings daily joy! Irony?!

Sincerely,

Jonathan

[...]

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

[...]

================================

Jonathan,

Just to clarify, my software is still available and will still work with all the data you get on the Basic Service (all three active MSG satellites and more). The software is still supported and updated - look at the beta page!

Depending where you are located your existing dish may suffice (at least for the Basic Service), so a second-hand TSB box (£100? if lucky) may be all you need. Someone here recently mentioned having an Ayecka box they weren't using....

I'm sorry if the recent lengthy discussion has given you the idea that reception and processing is complex. it isn't!

Hi all,
[]
Oh .. and for the record, my Timestep APT reception laptop still brings daily joy! Irony?!

Sincerely,
Jonathan

Jonathan,

With free software and a £10 SDR USB stick receiver, you can now get LRPT polar orbiting reception giving three channels at HRPT 1km resolution. On 137.1 MHz. A great step up from APT. Check on the Geo-Subscribers group:

https://groups.io/g/GEO-Subscribers