Topics

Metop-C AVHRR level 1 iglobal mages

fly.fechter@t-online.de

Hello,
Is it "worthwhile" to also get data from Metop-C, i.e. AVHRR global images ?
Are these of superior quality as compared with those sent by Metop-B  and/or do they cover more territory ?
I understand Metop-C AVHRR images are transmitted as part of the basic service data under channel
E1H-EPS-10. Do I have to add this channel to the basic service channel list
Under what wording please ?
Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Roland

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

Hello,
Is it "worthwhile" to also get data from Metop-C, i.e. AVHRR global images ?
Are these of superior quality as compared with those sent by Metop-B and/or do they cover more territory ?
I understand Metop-C AVHRR images are transmitted as part of the basic service data under channel
E1H-EPS-10. Do I have to add this channel to the basic service channel list
Under what wording please ?
Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Roland
================================

Roland,

"Yes".

Metop-A will eventually be retired, and Metop-B as well, leaving just Metop-C. Quality is identical but the coverage is overlapped in time or space, so that something of interest may be nearer the centre of one satellite image, and transient events of interest may be more likely to be captured in one or other satellites. Your previous Metop-A program can now take Metop-C data simply by changing the satellite option. No need to change channels - Metop-C is no on EPS10.

Does anyone know whether the tristar or trident orbits are being used currently?

https://www.eumetsat.int/website/home/TechnicalBulletins/Metop/index.html

The channel information on that page is now obsolete, instead:

https://www.eumetsat.int/website/home/News/DAT_4411829.html

fly.fechter@t-online.de

Thank you very much for your information, David !
Unfortunately clicking Metop C in my Metopmanager does not produce ANY images. Setting it up for Metop A, Metop B and Noaa 19
it delivery images - I still do not understand this situation - Following my request Eumetsat just confirmed that my amended data
does include AVHRR images from Metop-C !i.
I understand that Metop-C data has been supplied by Eumetsat for quite some time already.
Why don`t I manage to see it then ?
Thanks in advance for your explanation and continued help,
Regards,
Roland

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

Thank you very much for your information, David !
Unfortunately clicking Metop C in my Metopmanager does not produce ANY images. Setting it up for Metop A, Metop B and Noaa 19
it delivery images - I still do not understand this situation - Following my request Eumetsat just confirmed that my amended data
does include AVHRR images from Metop-C !i.
I understand that Metop-C data has been supplied by Eumetsat for quite some time already.
Why don`t I manage to see it then ?
Thanks in advance for your explanation and continued help,
Regards,
Roland
===============================

Roland,

You need three instances of the MetopManager each with different executable and associated file name - one for Metop-A fed with data from the HVS-1 stream, and one each for Metop-B and Metop-C fed from the Basic Service stream.

Seeing that Metop-A is likely to be retired before the others, and that the NOAA-19 data is also on the Basic Service, perhaps using either the Metop-B or the Metop-C manager for the NOAA-19 data would be appropriate.

fly.fechter@t-online.de

Thank you very much for your kind information !
Another question, if I may:
Where can I ascertain myself if I do in fact receive from Eurmetsat Metop C data ??
Where and how is the Metop C data sent to me being stored on my PC ?
Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Roland

-----Original-Nachricht-----
Betreff: Re: [MSG-1] Metop-C AVHRR level 1 iglobal mages
Datum: 2019-07-20T08:42:49+0200
Von: "David J Taylor via Groups.Io" <gm8arv=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io>
An: "MSG-1@groups.io" <MSG-1@groups.io>

[...]

geojohnt@...

Roland,

Metop-C data is sent via the bas EPS-10 stream
If you are already receiving/processing/displaying Metop-B then you are receiving this stream which contains Metop-C - if, as you say - EUMETSAT has actioned this service.

So your 'new' Metop-C Manger's data path needs to be directed to the bas EPS-10 stream.

The Metop Manager 'Tellicast Metop AVHRR global received files path' box should be the same path as in your Metop-B Manager.

A word of warning, if you have asked Ops to add the Metop-C service to your licence, then you will probably also be receiving all the various non image 'sounding data' most of which David's Metop Manager can 'get rid of,' but some, it seems, remain accumulating

Better I think to go into EO Portal and into your EUMETSAT licence account and de-tick the 'data' boxes you don't want.

I now have Metop-C Manager as my NOAA-18 (GAC) data handler.

+++++++++++++++

In a message dated 20/07/2019 07:42:40 GMT Standard Time, gm8arv@... writes:

Roland,

You need three instances of the MetopManager each with different executable
and associated file name - one for Metop-A fed with data from the HVS-1
stream, and one each for Metop-B and Metop-C fed from the Basic Service
stream.

Seeing that Metop-A is likely to be retired before the others, and that the
NOAA-19 data is also on the Basic Service, perhaps using either the Metop-B
or the Metop-C manager for the NOAA-19 data would be appropriate.

geojohnt@...

Roland,

Sorry, that should have been my Metop-C Manager is now the NOAA-19 GAC processor.

fly.fechter@t-online.de

Thank you very much, John !

Is there a place within Eumetsat/Eumetcast where Metop-C files only are stored ?

I am still not sure whether I receive at all anything truly from Metop C and if somewhere stored

and identifiable as Metop C data I could gain certainty.

Until now neither the AVHRR manager nor my Metop manager have shown anything which I can classify

as being Metop C data.

To finish, does Metop C send data 24/24 and where can I find its exact schedule ?

Thanks in advance,

Kind regards,

Roland

-----Original-Nachricht-----

Datum: 2019-07-20T13:33:27+0200

Von: "geojohnt via Groups.Io" <geojohnt@...>

An: "MSG-1@groups.io" <MSG-1@groups.io>

Roland,

Sorry, that should have been my Metop-C Manager is now the NOAA-19 GAC processor.

Ian Deans

On 20/07/2019 16:00, fly.fechter@... wrote:
Thank you very much, John !
Is there a place within Eumetsat/Eumetcast where Metop-C files only are stored ?
I am still not sure whether I receive at all anything truly from Metop C and if somewhere stored
and identifiable as Metop C data I could gain certainty.
Until now neither the AVHRR manager nor my Metop manager have shown anything which I can classify
as being Metop C data.
To finish, does Metop C send data 24/24 and where can I find its exact schedule ?
Thanks in advance,
Kind regards,
Roland

Roland Metop C Image and Polar wind data will come through EPS-10 basic if you have requested the data from Eumetsat ( via portal ).

If you do not have a separate Metop Manager set up to handle Metop C then I would assume that it would be building up in your EPS-10 folder.

Metop C EARS data is not yet available, so AVHRR Manager is not required for that satellite at the moment.

Hope that helps.

From: geojohnt via Groups.Io

[]
A word of warning, if you have asked Ops to add the Metop-C service to your licence, then you will probably also be receiving all the various non image 'sounding data' most of which David's Metop Manager can 'get rid of,' but some, it seems, remain accumulating
[]
=======================================

John,

What file names are still accumulating, please? There's nothing accumulating here, but maybe that's because I have a routine TrimTree running!

geojohnt@...

David,

Sorry, I should have worded my comments better.

I went into my account via EO Portal and un-ticked every non VIS and IR imagining data streams I could see from polar orbiter data stream services.
I can't remember now which one, or two only, that (I think) remained unprocessed/un-deleted.

Having done that - and ticked all your 'deal with' data options in MDM and Metop Manager, I no longer suffer from unprocessed data files accumulating.

One batch of files I was unable to stop 'EUMETCast sending' - having un-ticked so many boxes - were the 'EUMETSAT Darmstadt 'sounding' files'
These appear - since I've un-ticked every 'other data stream' boxes - to be transmitted along with the AVHRR data?
If you see what I mean?

However, My Metop-B Manager deals with these successfully.

+++++++++++++++++++++

[]

Firstly as Ian has said:

Metop C Image and Polar wind data will come through EPS-10 basic
if you have requested the data from Eumetsat ( via portal ).

If you do not have a separate Metop Manager set up to handle Metop C
then I would assume that it would be building up in your EPS-10 folder.

As I said, both Metop-B and Metop-C are disseminated via the bas EPS-10 channel/stream

So your cast-client-channels_bas.ini should look something like:

[channel]
name=EPS-10
receive_buffer_size=8000000
target_directory=\EUMETCast\received\bas\EPS-10 data (might not really need 'data' on the end)
tmp_directory\=\EUMETCast\tmp\bas

Both Metop-B and Metop-C data goes into this folder therefore your Metop Manger 'Tellicast Metop AVHRR global received files path' box should look something like this:

E:\EUMETCast\received\bas\EPS-10data\

'E:\' is my EUMETCast data HDD storage 'area.' It can be wherever you want it - C:\ - is probably more usual?

If you do not have a specified Metop-C Manager running, then as Ian says, Metop-C data files will be filling up your EPS-10 target directory.

In a message dated 20/07/2019 16:00:39 GMT Standard Time, fly.fechter@... writes:

[...]

That's good news, John. I'm still having to delete some stuff outside any of the managers (~600 MB files IIRC) but no-one else seems to have this issue, so I'm guessing it's manufacturers-only at the moment.