Metop-B.

geojohnt@...

Hello All,

Is it me or has Metop B 'just' lost its Lat/Long markers?

Regards,
John Tellick.

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

On 01/12/2021 19:29, geojohnt via groups.io wrote:
Hello All,

Is it me or has Metop B 'just' lost its Lat/Long markers?

Regards,
John Tellick.
John,

Metop-B never sent lat/lon markers as such, just the acquisition time of each
line. I've just checked data here from the global Metop Manager saved .hpt
files, and from the EARS AVHRR files, and both show the expected country
boundaries correctly.

If you're not seeing boundaries please check your Kepler data. Any diagnostics
from the HRPT Reader?

Or have I completely misunderstood your question!

R. Alblas

As far as I know METOP data contains Kepler data, so external Kepler data isn't needed. (It's in the class 0 header.)
I don't know if HRPT Reader uses that; maybe this info is missing now?

Rob.

On 02/12/2021 08:44, R. Alblas wrote:
As far as I know METOP data contains Kepler data, so external Kepler
data isn't needed. (It's in the class 0 header.)
I don't know if HRPT Reader uses that; maybe this info is missing now?
Rob.
Rob,

The HRPT Reader uses external Kepler data always, as not all sources have embedded Kepler data. Metop AVHRR data is converted to a standard format rather than being read as native files.

geojohnt@...

David and Ferdinand,

Don't worry - I'm having one of those 'old age moments.'

I noticed the 'anomaly' in Quick Look on Metop Manager B as the satellite was descending from the Arctic down over Canada.
As far as I'm aware, Metop Manager has never displayed L/L markers - just country outlines.

What I saw quickly before the satellite 'moved on' over the Pacific was a long curved line which looked like latitude marker - which was the 'satellite curved' straight line border between the US and Canada.

And the straight 'N/S' lines in the north central and eastern states of the US.
Both od which can be seen when viewing the image on HRPT Reader.

To think I had an eye test at the eye hospital on Sunday and everything was fine!

Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@...
Twitter: @gm8arv