Meteosat AMV data

Hamdan

Hi everybody,

I am trying to visualize Meteosat-8 AMV Bufr files using the latest version of "Bufr Viewer software" which is V2.1.175, 2021-Feb-23

But the software is unable to process and visualize these files !

Any Suggestions ?

Best Regards

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

On 25/03/2021 12:12, Hamdan via groups.io wrote:
Hi everybody,
I am trying to visualize Meteosat-8 AMV Bufr files using the latest version of "Bufr Viewer software" which is V2.1.175, 2021-Feb-23
But the software is unable to process and visualize these files !
Any Suggestions ?
Best Regards
Hamdan,

Sorry to hear you are having problems. Please try without spaces in the file name.

That same data file does work here. As a check, it is 2,601,973 bytes in size. See the attached plot.

Thanks,

Hamdan

yeah, I removed the spaces and now works fine.

Thanks David

Hamdan

Also, I would like to share with you an easy method to combine a Meteosat water vapor or an infrared images with AMV analyses using a GeoSatSignal world composite as a Bufr viewer background image.

An example of Meteosat-8 WV and AMV for western Indian Ocean and Middle East.

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

On 26/03/2021 09:03, Hamdan via groups.io wrote:
Also, I would like to share with you an easy method to combine a Meteosat water vapor or an infrared images with AMV analyses using a GeoSatSignal world composite as a Bufr viewer background image.
An example of Meteosat-8 WV and AMV for western Indian Ocean and Middle East.
That looks very useful. Could you list the steps required as I think quite a few people would be interested....

Thanks,

Hamdan

of course

These are the steps to combine a latest Meteosat water vapor or infrared full disk image with AMV data:

Step 1: Run GeoSatSignal and open World View window.

Step 2: Select a water vapor or an infrared image directory, it would be either zero degree or an IODC image.

Step 3: use "4096 x 2048" image size for better image quality and select Merge map (zero) with none Background LUT as shown in image 1.

Step 4: Refresh then Save the the image in "Bufr Viewer" software folder to replace it with "UserMap.jpg" as shown in image 3.

Step5: Run Bufr viewer software and open a latest AMV bufr file of the same satellite. For example, if you are using zero degree water vapor image then you should use a zero degree AMV bufr file.

The result is a combined AMV-satellite image chart.

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

On 26/03/2021 11:19, Hamdan via groups.io wrote:
of course
These are the steps to combine a latest Meteosat water vapor or infrared full disk image with AMV data:
[]
The result is a combined AMV-satellite image chart.
Many thanks, Hamdan. My presentation is here:

https://www.satsignal.eu/software/bufr-viewer.html#overlay

I hope that's OK!