Met-5

Ian S Deans <ian@...>

Beginning to wonder if this old satellite is developing problems. Once again
the 15.00 UTC visible is degraded and all three images this morning at 9.00
UTC had a nasty horizontal line through them. I assume it must be scanner
problems.

Beginning to wonder if this old satellite is developing problems. Once
again
the 15.00 UTC visible is degraded and all three images this morning at
9.00
UTC had a nasty horizontal line through them. I assume it must be
scanner
problems.

Ian.
Ian,

Well, on the Dundee Web site, the images for 14:00, 15:30 and 16:00 are
fine:

http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk/pdus/XV/200312041400XV3_g.jpg

etc.

so I would suspect it is the ingestion or processing for MSG-1, rather
than the scanner on Meteosat 5. (Yes, I realise I am a cycle or two out,
but the last time there was a similar problem I checked the PDUS data from
Dundee for the same time slot and it was fine as well).

The horizontal line may be no more than a bit of RF interference or
whatever between Meteosat 5 and the receiving station. It is also present
in the Dundee image.