Topics

May I not regret saying this....

Lawrence <lawrence@...>

So far this morning (and also some of yesterday evening) I have not seen
any holes in my images. There has *always* been a hole in the 9.45am
HRIT image set - but not today.

Long may it continue.

Lawrence

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

--- In MSG-1@..., Lawrence <lawrence@a...> wrote:
So far this morning (and also some of yesterday evening) I have
not seen any holes in my images. There has *always* been a hole in
the 9.45am HRIT image set - but not today.

Long may it continue.

Lawrence
Lawrence, to me having such a time-consistent error points strongly
to a daily scheduled task affecting reception. Perhaps if you can
find out what it was, that might help others...

Lawrence <lawrence@...>

David - yes, I understand that idea, but again this morning there were
*no* missing segments, so it is not completely consistent. I cannot see
any scheduled tasks listed, though experience tells me that they can
exist with no obvious indication until they happen. I shall keep
investigating, anyway.

So far today - no problems!

regards

Lawrence

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 19:36:20 -0000, you wrote:

--- In MSG-1@..., Lawrence <lawrence@a...> wrote:
So far this morning (and also some of yesterday evening) I have
not seen any holes in my images. There has *always* been a hole in
the 9.45am HRIT image set - but not today.

Long may it continue.

Lawrence
Lawrence, to me having such a time-consistent error points strongly
to a daily scheduled task affecting reception. Perhaps if you can
find out what it was, that might help others...

--- In MSG-1@..., Lawrence <lawrence@a...> wrote:
David - yes, I understand that idea, but again this morning there
were *no* missing segments, so it is not completely consistent. I
cannot see any scheduled tasks listed, though experience tells me
that they can exist with no obvious indication until they happen. I
shall keep investigating, anyway.

So far today - no problems!
Good to hear that, Lawrence.

You are right, in that a program does not have to be shown as a
scheduled task to be scheduled! Any of the processes listed in the
Taks Manager processes tab can, at any time, decide that it wants to
do something. An example is the MSG Data Manager, which wakes up
every 20 seconds or so to look for new files. With something that
is on a daily basis, my guesses would include:

- anti-virus software looking for a data file update

- any Internet program (e.g. Zone Alarm) looking to see if it is the
latest version

- Windows Update

What surprises me, though, is that any of these activities result in
missing segments. Although perhaps the story is: no update
required, the program goes back to sleep - update required, CPU-
intensive task required. So only on those days when something was
updated does the segment loss occur.

You could maybe scan for .LOG files timestamped around the time of
the problem, or indeed any files around that time. Might give a
hint as to what is causing the problem!

Lawrence <lawrence@...>

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 11:11:27 -0000, you wrote:

snip

So far today - no problems!
Good to hear that, Lawrence.

You are right, in that a program does not have to be shown as a
scheduled task to be scheduled! Any of the processes listed in the
Taks Manager processes tab can, at any time, decide that it wants to
do something. An example is the MSG Data Manager, which wakes up
every 20 seconds or so to look for new files. With something that
is on a daily basis, my guesses would include:

- anti-virus software looking for a data file update
My receive computer does not have anti-virus installed because I don't
receive e-mail or web activity on it.

- any Internet program (e.g. Zone Alarm) looking to see if it is the
latest version
Ditto.

- Windows Update
Inhibited - only run manually as necessary.

What surprises me, though, is that any of these activities result in
missing segments. Although perhaps the story is: no update
required, the program goes back to sleep - update required, CPU-
intensive task required. So only on those days when something was
updated does the segment loss occur.

You could maybe scan for .LOG files timestamped around the time of
the problem, or indeed any files around that time. Might give a
hint as to what is causing the problem!
Yes, but I admit to not understanding the exact meaning of the log file
messages. Some say things like 'key expired'. I shall look more
closely when I spot a missing segment, though this will probably be
after the event.

Lawrence

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

You could maybe scan for .LOG files timestamped around the time
of
the problem, or indeed any files around that time. Might give a
hint as to what is causing the problem!
Yes, but I admit to not understanding the exact meaning of the log
file
messages. Some say things like 'key expired'. I shall look more
closely when I spot a missing segment, though this will probably be
after the event.
Lawrence,

I meant look on your hard disk for any files modified around the
time of the missing segments, not the Tellique log files (although
they are also worth checking). The idea as that if you find a
modified file in &#92;Pogram Files&#92;Nero etc. it might mean that Nero was
doing the regular activity. Just a thought.

David

Guy Martin <agm@...>

Have a look at the Event Viewer.

Cheers, Guy

the problem, or indeed any files around that time. Might give a
hint as to what is causing the problem!

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Lawrence <lawrence@...>

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 11:42:02 -0000, you wrote:

Have a look at the Event Viewer.

Cheers, Guy
Yes, I have been, Guy.

best wishes