Loss of Eumetcast signal via SR1 rx

Terence O'Hanlon Smith

Hello all,
perhaps someone could offer advice please.

A few days ago I lost signal from my Ayecka SR1 Rx. The receiver appeared all correct except for the red locking LEDs. Suspecting a faiIed LNB I bought another, but to no effect.
The power supply to the SR1 showed 12 volts, but I read on the forum that these can appear to be working but not necessarily supplying sufficient current, so I have just replaced this with a 3 amp one recommended in the forum. I again checked the voltage at the cable to the LNB, but there is still barely a quarter volt, so I now assume the output of the SR1 itself to have failed.
I could try yet another power supply, but that would seem akin to tail chasing. Unless there is something else I could try or check at home (I am no electrical engineer), is there anywhere I can have the receiver tested or repaired?
Regards to all,
Terence

https://www.avg.com

Ernst Lobsiger

Hi

On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 11:25 AM, Terence O'Hanlon Smith wrote:
I again checked the voltage at the cable to the LNB, but there is still barely a quarter volt, so I now assume the output of the SR1 itself to have failed.
Does this mean you checked on the LNB side of the cable? If yes, unplug the cable at the SR1 side and directly measure the voltage at the SR1 RF plug (the cable could have a short cirquit).
IIRC there might be 2 RF plugs on the SR1, measure at the right one (according to your configuration). For EUMETCast transponders the voltage must be around 18 Volts to switch the LNB to
needed H polarisation (13 Volts for V polarisation). Don't be fooled by the fact that the PSU has only 12 Volts. The SR1 has internal voltage conversion for 13/18 Volts  + long cable compensation ....

Good luck
Ernst

Terence O'Hanlon Smith

Ernst,
           I had indeed first checked the voltage in the cable end nearest to the LNB, but I then removed the LNB cable from its RF1 connector at the SR1, fitted the short test cable from my signal meter, and rechecked the voltage. There was effectively nothing in either case.
  I also checked the voltage at the RF2 connector, and there was nothing there either.

 Thanks for asking,
                                 Terence

[...]

Hi,

It's now 8 year back that I ran an SR1 as a pilot user for EUMETSAT. I do not recall whether it was/is possible to configure the SR1 for no output voltage on RF plugs.
So as a last try (you probably did that already) telnet to the SR1 and check all the configuration details for EUMETCast transponders (see EUMETSAT setup guide).

P.S. I am on GNU/Linux and use PCIe cards only. There is a "SkyStar 2 eXpress HD" that works perfectly for Basic Service only on www.eBay.de for 2.5 Euros :-).

Terence O'Hanlon Smith

Thank you Ernst,
I will investigate the possibility of an uncalled for Rx configuration change.
As far as a replacement receiver is concerned I am, unfortunately perhaps, one of the few people whose dedicated Eumetcast Rx/processing computer is a laptop.

Regards,
Terence

SkyStar 2 eXpress HD
https://www.avg.com

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

On 30/07/2021 07:42, Terence O'Hanlon Smith via groups.io wrote:
Thank you Ernst,
I will investigate the possibility of an
uncalled for Rx configuration change.
As far as a replacement receiver is concerned I am, unfortunately
perhaps, one of the few people whose dedicated Eumetcast Rx/processing
computer is a laptop.
Regards,
Terence
Terence,

Yes, there is a configuration setting in the SR1 to enable/disable the LNB voltage. Configuration, Choose the Active one, F: LNB power, I think.

If not, you can get a TBS-5925 or 5927, second-hand to reduce cost, and go in via USB.

On Fri, Jul 30, 2021 at 01:11 AM, David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺 wrote:
Yes, there is a configuration setting in the SR1 to enable/disable the LNB voltage. Configuration, Choose the Active one, F: LNB power, I think.
Terence and David,

yes indeed according to the SR1 Manual F) LNB Power lets you select OFF, 13V and 18V (18V needed for H). If this does not work maybe setting up the second plug RF2 for EUMETCast might still work.
AFAIK not all SR1 models sold let you do that. IIRC a "cheaper" GEO sold model could not be used to switch for Dual Mode and Single Mode. For above case you should be able to use Single Mode on RF2.
EUMETSAT might help. There is also an interesting note in the EUMETSAT published SR1 setup guide on page 6. Has anybody reading this ever run such an EUMETCast reception configuration (I doubt it) ?

N-B: Even when working in single demodulator mode you can have two RF inputs in redundancy mode - you can have two antennas and if one LNB fail the SR1 will automatically switch to the other one.

Terence O'Hanlon Smith

Thank you both Ernst and David,
                                                         when using PuTTY to check the SR1 configuration as suggested, I was presented with an "unable to access serial port" error message. I am still using Win 7 Ultimate, and the Device Manager fails to bring up the "Ports" option, even viewing the hidden items. I have spent much of the afternoon attempting to recover the com ports details without success. They appear to have vanished entirely. I shall have a break over the weekend and try again next week!
   Your assistance has been much appreciated.
         Best regards,
                                 Terence

On 30/07/2021 22:57, Terence O'Hanlon Smith via groups.io wrote:
Thank you both Ernst and David,
                                                         when using PuTTY to check the SR1 configuration as suggested, I was presented with an "unable to access serial port" error message. I am still using Win 7 Ultimate, and the Device Manager fails to bring up the "Ports" option, even viewing the hidden items. I have spent much of the afternoon attempting to recover the com ports details without success. They appear to have vanished entirely. I shall have a break over the weekend and try again next week!
   Your assistance has been much appreciated.
         Best regards,
                                 Terence
Terence,

You can always [try to] access the device with Telnet on its management port - e.g. with PuTTY. You just need to find its IP address. This doesn't need the serial port. You may also have the Java-based SR1 console installed. It still works here on a new PC installing Java and then the console.

I've not heard of "Missing COM ports" before. Doubtless you've tried some of the answers here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/com-ports-missing-in-device-manager-in-windows-7/ad7145a3-8e58-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

The BIOS one sounded most hopeful to me as you've already tried hidden devices. It doesn't mention Scan for new hardware, though.

Good luck!

geojohnt@...

Terrence and David,

David, you may recall I had problems with accessing PuTTY some time ago - which had worked for many years.
Apparently the same problem as Terrence(?).
Something like 'can't connect or find COM 3.'
Though the setup windows to use this 'management route' were accessible and 'tick-able.'

You suggested clicking the 'Einstein' - top right of the SR1 controller - which brings up the SR1 Controller Settings Window allowing you to click Telnet under 'Options.'

This brings up the Telnet window - which in my case - is blank - but closing it, then clicking (Options) Telnet again, re-opens the Telnet window with
Username: telnet
Password:

Typing in telnet after Password: - and pressing Enter, then opens all the numbered management numbered options.

+++++++++++++++++++++

On 31/07/2021 10:05, geojohnt via groups.io wrote:
Terrence and David,
David, you may recall I had problems with accessing PuTTY some time ago - which had worked for many years.
Apparently the same problem as Terrence(?).
Something like 'can't connect or find COM 3.'
Though the setup windows to use this 'management route' were accessible and 'tick-able.'
You suggested clicking the 'Einstein' - top right of the SR1 controller - which brings up the SR1 Controller Settings Window allowing you to click Telnet under 'Options.'
This brings up the Telnet window - which in my case - is blank - but closing it, then clicking (Options) Telnet again, re-opens the Telnet window with
Username: telnet
Password:
Typing in telnet after Password: - and pressing Enter, then opens all the numbered management numbered options.
Yes, John, the requirement to activate Telnet twice is confusing! You can, of course, use any Telnet program, from anywhere on your local network.

As I was concerned about retiring one PC (portable, no battery) which had been used to set up SR1 boxes through the USB port, I tried to reproduce the installation on a completely fresh Windows-10 PC. I installed the VCP driver from the CD, and PuTTY (64-bit), and could connect without any problems. Perhaps that might help?

Terence O'Hanlon Smith

Thank you all,
yes I had tried the Telnet option from PuTTY, which came up with an error message "Network Error; connection refused"; and, having searched the oracle, the BIOS, (but the latter seems to offer no serial port enablement/disablement); along with several suggested means of reacquiring the "Ports" link in Device Manager - each to no avail. I am obviously loathe to use the reinstallation of Windows method, as I am not sure I would be able to manage installing a complete new Eumetcast setup with all the programme installations it would necessitate. I am developing a headache as it is!

The machine is a Lenoveo Y510P laptop with, as I mentioned, Win 7 Ult OS. It has run my Eumetcast system for several years without problem. It is deliberately not connected to the internet and is therefore never updated. 'Leave well alone' has always been my motto. But sadly, such are electronics, that even that does not always work!

I have just tried the opening of Telnet via your (David) and John's suggestions of Enstein entry of the IP address, and am at least into the SR1 configuration window, so thanks again on that score!

Regards,
Terence