Topics

LNB to receive hvs1 and hvs2 simultaneously and SR1 enable 2nd RX input

Mario Brustia

good morning to all.
I have read that to receive the 3 eumetsat services at the same time it is necessary to have at least two receivers: one for BAS and HVS1 tuned to transponder 1 and one for HVS2 tuned to the transponder 2.
I understand that the SR1 receiver purchased
through GEO, at the time of the transition from DVB to DVS2 it does not have the second input enabled and therefore, as a second receiver, a second physical RX would be needed.
So I ask myself two questions:
FIRST: is it possible to enable the second RX on the SR1?in case...how?
SECOND : I read that a valid LNB is the INVERTO ULTRA LNB and I was wondering if, replacing my old LNB with only one output with the new LNB with two outputs, I could receive both transponders at the same time.
Thanks to anyone for the support

Mario

David J Taylor

good morning to all.
I have read that to receive the 3 eumetsat services at the same time it is necessary to have at least two receivers: one for BAS and HVS1 tuned to transponder 1 and one for HVS2 tuned to the transponder 2.
I understand that the SR1 receiver purchased through GEO, at the time of the transition from DVB to DVS2 it does not have the second input enabled and therefore, as a second receiver, a second physical RX would be needed.
So I ask myself two questions:
FIRST: is it possible to enable the second RX on the SR1?in case...how?
SECOND : I read that a valid LNB is the INVERTO ULTRA LNB and I was wondering if, replacing my old LNB with only one output with the new LNB with two outputs, I could receive both transponders at the same time.
Thanks to anyone for the support

Mario
==================================

Mario,

FIRST: Yes, you can enable the second input, but it doesn't help because you only get the required number of PIDs and enough bandwidth with the single input arrangement. You would need a second Ayecka (or other) receiver to get HVS-2.

For the second receiver you could get a TBS 5925/5927 USB receiver for example, perhaps even a second-hand one, and use that for the HVS-2 transmission, and feed it into your PC with a USB connection, or a TBS6903 PCIe card which has two tuners already. Perhaps use the TBS6903 card for HVS-1 and HVS-2, keeping your Ayecka configured for BS alone (which makes it a more reliable service, since low HVS-1 signals won't then affect the BS data).

SECOND: The only reason to replace the LNB would be to get improved performance. Perhaps a more modern LNB would have slightly better performance, but don't believe all the specifications! Because the two transponders have the same polarisation, and are in the same frequency band, the signal from both transponders will be present in the single cable you already have - but on slightly different frequencies. Therefore you can use a splitter to feed two receivers, rather than needing a two output LNB. What I do find useful is to have the second LNB output available for monitoring purposes, using a Satellite TV receiver or whatever, for checking signal strengths on adjacent channels or signals with the other polarisation. I have mine connected to a TBS5925 and run the CrazyCat scanning software to see the spectrum content for both polarisations:

https://www.satsignal.eu/wxsat/dvb-s2/T1-T2.html
https://www.satsignal.eu/wxsat/dvb-s2/T1-T2.html#h+v

Ferdinand Valk

Mario,

Correct, although the SR-1 has two receivers (a batch of SR-1 provided via GEO had only 1 in order to save costs), only one can be used. Amongst others the RX transport filters (8 in total) are shared between receiver 1 and 2, limiting the use of the second receiver for Eumetcast purposes.

So you either use two separate receiver units if you want to get both T1 and T2 or alternatively you can opt for the TBS 6903 (or similar), which does have two fully functional inputs available. Having an LNB with multiple outputs is certainly a good way to go, but you could also use a splitter as David does.

Cheers,

Ferdinand

I have read that to receive the 3 eumetsat services at the same time it is necessary to have at least two receivers: one for BAS and HVS1 tuned to transponder 1 and one for HVS2 tuned to the transponder 2.
I understand that the SR1 receiver purchased through GEO, at the time of the transition from DVB to DVS2 it does not have the second input enabled and therefore, as a second receiver, a second physical RX would be needed.
So I ask myself two questions:
FIRST: is it possible to enable the second RX on the SR1?in case...how?
SECOND : I read that a valid LNB is the INVERTO ULTRA LNB and I was wondering if, replacing my old LNB with only one output with the new LNB with two outputs, I could receive both transponders at the same time.
Thanks to anyone for the support

Mario

Mario Brustia

Ferdinand ,David
I thank you for the exhaustive details.
The replacement of the LNB is due to the fact that it is very old (almost 15 years, bought to use on HB13) and the cost is quite affordable to try to gain a few dB.
Then in the future (at the end of
housework ... David!) I decided to commit to receiving HVS from a receiver that would certainly perform better than the current one.
Have a nice day !!

Mario

David J Taylor

Ferdinand ,David
I thank you for the exhaustive details.
The replacement of the LNB is due to the fact that it is very old (almost 15 years, bought to use on HB13) and the cost is quite affordable to try to gain a few dB.
Then in the future (at the end of housework ... David!) I decided to commit to receiving HVS from a receiver that would certainly perform better than the current one.
Have a nice day !!

Mario
===========================

Mario,

OK, and older LNB may well be worth replacing. I don't think Arne has carried out further tests than those where he recommended the Inverto Black Ultra. The Ultra has a higher output, so allows for more cable loss and splitters etc. I ended up with a different make, and four outputs rather than two, but I would recommend going for at least twin output.

Enjoy all the alignment!

geojohnt@...

Mario,

>I've read the signal from consol ,with more attention:
>My es/no , with cloud, is 7.2 db
>Demodulation link margin is -2.4 db
>In my option, like from your suspect, I think that HVS1, with these low signal, is very
>very hard to decode.

Just to say that I got out an old 85 cm dish and Inverto Black Ultra LNB that I used many years ago for EUMETCast  and found that my SR1 readings under clear sky conditions using this dish, which might not have been accurately aligned  were:

BS
SNR 10.9 - 11.00 dB
Link margin 5.0 - 5.1 dB

HVS-1
SNR 10.9 - 11.00
Link margin 1.6 - 1.7 dB.

That was using around an 8 m long cable run.

I agree with David to be cautious about some manufacturers LNB technical figures - especially noise.
However, Inverto publish very comprehensive figures for all technical aspects of their LNB's on their website.
And the Black Ultra range have increased gain compared to their other ranges.

Mario Brustia

Ho John,
thank's for you report!
My descent cable is about 30 meters. An old LNB plus a very long descent are a very bad pairing.
I looked at the BLAK ULTRA 1 exit because they give it a suitable fit for long descents.

Seen then the cost very affordable, I think it is a test, which at this time I can do.

Of course ... then there is all the alignment ... but right now, with the temperatures I find on the roof ... I'm not on schedule! Maybe in September I'll make the passage to LNB

Thank's again to all!!
Mario

geojohnt@...

Mario,

Well, here in the UK, summer has deserted us recently and for the second time in two weeks, I've put the central heating back on for a couple of hours in SW London - in August!

Global Warming?
My tomatoes in the garden are still green.

Best wishes,
John.

+++++++++++++++++++

In a message dated 16/08/2019 17:18:13 GMT Standard Time, mario.brustia@... writes:

Of course ... then there is all the alignment ... but right now, with the temperatures I find on the roof ... I'm not on schedule! Maybe in September I'll make the passage to LNB

Mario Brustia

Johm...
Here in Italy, near Novara, until a few days ago if you wanted to cook eggs it was enough that you went on a roof and broke them on the tiles.
In a few seconds the egg was cooked !!!
Come on ... summer is not over yet and I think it will go far beyond the astronimic calendar!!!

Have a nice ..orbit!!

mario

martin Handl

i am use for booth receive tvo TBS tunner..one TBS5925 and one TBS5927
TBS5927 is better have more sesitivity over TBS5925,but TBS5925 have output

David J Taylor

From: martin Handl

i am use for booth receive tvo TBS tunner..one TBS5925 and one TBS5927
TBS5927 is better have more sesitivity over TBS5925,but TBS5925 have output
======================

Welcome to the group, Martin.

It's the quality (or SNR) which matters much more than the level, unless you have a very long cable (> 20m).

I note that instead of "0 gold 0" I have "1 root 1" on my BDADataEx instances, for both transponders. I can't use the TBS IP Tool as it crashes my system.

What exactly is your problem?

martin Handl

On Sat, Sep 7, 2019 at 01:22 AM, David J Taylor wrote:
Welcome to the group, Martin.

It's the quality (or SNR) which matters much more than the level, unless you have a very long cable (> 20m).

I note that instead of "0 gold 0" I have "1 root 1" on my BDADataEx instances, for both transponders. I can't use the TBS IP Tool as it crashes my system.

What exactly is your problem?

yes quality is important over SNR...but very important is continue BER 0...
my cable leght over 25m,dish 110/90 in H-H motor,but all work without problem...
TBS5925 is first TBS CCM USB tuner,have some bugs (very warm, low sensitivity, sometimes freezes) but has a tuner and can be used without problems for BASIC and HVS-1..for HVS-2 already looks sometimes ... TBS5927 is doing better, does not heat at all, is about 20db more sensitive, but has only input ..

for layes scramble ...if use ROOT 1 dont work for me (no lock signal) i use more year only GOLD 0
TBSdata Service sw if good for indicate how PIN active in strenam,but mean when BDAdataEx is stable