Learning Metop Manager

Philip Robinson

Hi
I have downloaded another one of Davids useful software and have this evening been trying to get to grips with it
I can obtain GAC images  and GAC composite, but on the Metop Images there are no Quick Look or any other images with the info line at the bttom of screen waiting  for chunks.... I am not very sure where these are to come from, i was expecting the chunks to be automatically there.
There are also not any images in either the EPS-combined or EPS-global, but the EPS-NOAA has the AVHRR-GAC images
All data that i require is ticked off at my EOPortal. In fact i have put ticks against all Metop A and Metop B products
In the EUMETCast\received\bas\EPS-10 i have lots of AVHRR.....bz2 files and W_XX-EUMETSAT.bin....... files .
I think my problem is obtaining the chunks
I have tried looking through some Metop Manager information  documents and FAQ, but havent  found  the solution yet . Its probably something simple.
The programme looks really good but before i pay the registration fee i need to get on top of the software.
If its as good as the rest of Davids software then i cant wait to use it correctly
I hope all the above makes sense, and someone can help.I will be  back to the forum tomorrow in hopes that an experienced user can give me a little assistance
thanks
Philip Robinson
PS Which of Davids software would be the best to further process the images produced in Metop Manager.

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

On 22/08/2021 23:31, Philip Robinson wrote:
[...]
Philip,

If you are getting GAC, the you are 90% there. I note that in my Metop-B handler I have:

F:\EUMETCast\received\bas\EPS-10\

so with a trailing slash in the directory name. Normally, though, I would program to check that! Setup screen-shot attached in case it helps.

The combined images you create by selecting one or more segments from the browser, at least, you will once you get data! The browser only shows segment outlines, not mini images.

The HRPT Reader will handle the data.

Philip Robinson

David
Would this be the answer
I have just restarted MetopManager and checked in the received/EPS-10 folder and i see that from Darmstadt I have the W_XX.........AVHRR...... files for METOPB and METOPC but as yet after 30 mins no files for METOPA. Have i missed something here and MetopA is now no longer sending the required information. I have all MetopA products ticked on the EOPortal as well as MetopB and MetopC products ( i have a good capacity hard drive as you can imagine)
I am not sure how quickly the images appear in the Metop Images section of MetopManager but its still blank in there.
If METOPA satellite is still transmitting then thats not the answer, then i will put a few screenshots up later that may be relevant

I see that in your screenshot that you have MetopB otherwise it looks similar to mine apart from the paths. Slashes are in correct place

Ps Is there any reason you havent slashes at the end of the paths for Combined File path and Processed global Metop files path

thanks for the help
Hope your keeping well and the help you give all is fantastic...i am amazed how you find the time
Philip

[...]

-- SatSignal Software - Quality software for you

https://www.avg.com

Philip Robinson

Hi
Further to that . In MetopManager setup . I thought i would try the tick in MetopB instead of MetopA and the information waiting for chunks..... has gone and been replaced by images are being processed using the Darmstadt METOPB received data. Is still processing at the moment and hopefully images will appear eventually. I have to go out so will check on return
thanks
Philip

[...]

Back in again
I have now have images  through MetopB and there spectacular. MetopA must for some reason have  been the problem. I am now looking forward to learning how to get the best out of this software.
David
Registration fee soon on the way
thanks again
Philip

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

On 23/08/2021 09:41, Philip Robinson wrote:
Hi
Back in again
I have now have images  through MetopB and there spectacular. MetopA must for
some reason have  been the problem. I am now looking forward to learning how to
get the best out of this software.
David
Registration fee soon on the way
thanks again
Philip
Glad that's resolved, Philip.

The full-orbit data is not sent "live" (if you see what I mean), but only after
it is downloaded e.g. at Svalbard (where there is work today). It is not all
sent at once but spread out over near an orbital time, so it could be up to 90
minutes delayed. This is true for Metop-A, and for Metop-C, but Metop-A is the
older satellite and may have lower priority.

For Metop-B - the prime satellite - half way through the orbit half the data is
downloaded at the McMurdo station in Antarctica. If that station isn't
available you may see message like this:

https://www.ospo.noaa.gov/data/messages/2021/MSG057125405.html
http://db0fhn.efi.fh-nuernberg.de:8080/cmd?cmd=READ+WETTER+167848

and in Douglas's Weather Satellite Reports:

https://groups.io/g/weather-satellite-reports

So I suggest setting up Metop-B first (and as the NOAA GAC processor), and then
adding Metop-C as a second instance in a different directory, with a different
executable and related file names:

MetopManager-C.DEU.lng
MetopManager-C.ESN.lng
MetopManager-C.exe
MetopManager-C.FRA.lng
MetopManager-C.ITA.lng
MetopManager-C.ntv.lng

However, Metop-A is now approaching the end of its working life, and is due to
be retired at the end of the year. It is still working well, now, though.

On Mon, Aug 23, 2021 at 01:41 AM, Philip Robinson wrote:
MetopA must for some reason have  been the problem.
As already discussed on this list: MetopA is on HVS-1 and will stop sending data soon.

Ernst

Philip Robinson

Ernst
thx
i just knew i would miss the obvious. MetopA is on HVS-1 , that solves it.
When your my age its so easy to miss the straightforward
thx
Philip

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

On 23/08/2021 10:29, Philip Robinson wrote:
Ernst
thx
i just knew i would miss the obvious. MetopA is on HVS-1 , that solves it.
When your my age its so easy to miss the straightforward
thx
Philip
Regional Metop-A data is available on the Basic Service,
through the near-real-time EARS data stream.

Philip Robinson

David
thanks . I will keep the MetopA data on bas for now . and sort the move over to MetopB in due course.
Phil;ip