From: "James Brown" <satellite@...>
To: <MSG-1@...>
Sent: Friday, November 14, 2003 3:03 PM
Subject: [MSG-1] Latest e-mail from ops

Interesting stuff from OPS. A new format for you to wrestle with David
for the IODC (MET 5) relay! And hopefully we are going to find the UK
Met office willing to supply us with a licence for the dongles.

Incidentally I have managed to find an application which does interrupt
MSG ingestion and processing - tired running a parallel port zip drive
today. The whole thing snarled up and lost lots of segments.

Cheers,

James
--
James Brown

Very interesting mail. I think the OpenMTP format has already been cracked
as I know GSS 4 can deal with those files from Eumetsat's RSS Archive. So
hopefully not too much work for David.
I have had no word yet either from the Met Office but there is still plenty
of time. Hope it goes smoothly !
I thought printing from the parallel port would be a problem for me (old
printer so no USB option) but surprisingly I can print without any troubles
to the data.

--- In MSG-1@..., James Brown <satellite@m...> wrote:
Interesting stuff from OPS. A new format for you to wrestle with
David for the IODC (MET 5) relay! And hopefully we are going to
find the UK Met office willing to supply us with a licence for the
dongles.

James,

This announcement puzzles me. I am in touch with Eumetsat and have
just received a data sample of Meteosat 5 data prepared for MSG-1
from July (unfortunately just a single segment). This is in
segmented image format, just like all the other satellite data, and
could easily be added to the program.

However, the OPEN_MTP format is not compressed, or segemented, and
the data files are huge. Even with BZ2 compression (as used on the
FTP services) a single visible-channel file occupies over 8MB (for
the 5000 x 5000 image). So receiving these files will be more
difficult, and require that the OPEN-MTP file be stored on disk
(probably being built up from chunks of files), and then read back
in, be calibrated, and converted to an image.

I hope that Eumetsat reconsider this format, and allow Meteosat 5
data to be sent in the segmented image format used for all other
satellites.

BARRY DAY <barryday@...>

Thanks David do you think they would take a travellers cheque?
Barry

[...]

---

--- In MSG-1@..., "BARRY DAY" <barryday@t...> wrote:
Thanks David do you think they would take a travellers cheque?
Barry
Barry,

Traveller's cheques require a physical presence, I believe, so would
involve you in a trip to Darmstadt!

The majority opinion is that you should do what the rest of us have
done - get a draft or cheque from your bank in Euros. The fact that
you have to pay extra is something that you need to take up with the
politicians who have kept us outside the Euro system.

I believe that this topic is now closed.

--- In MSG-1@..., James Brown <satellite@m...> wrote:
Interesting stuff from OPS. A new format for you to wrestle with
David for the IODC (MET 5) relay!

Well, it seems that there may have been something lost in the
translation, and it's the normal image segments we will be getting,
derived from OpenMTP data. Should make it a little easier to get
you data near to day one!

James Brown

In message <bp5vci+74ai@...>, David Taylor <david-taylor@...> writes
--- In MSG-1@..., James Brown <satellite@m...> wrote:
Interesting stuff from OPS. A new format for you to wrestle with
David for the IODC (MET 5) relay!

Well, it seems that there may have been something lost in the
translation, and it's the normal image segments we will be getting,
derived from OpenMTP data. Should make it a little easier to get
you data near to day one!

Thanks for the update David. I imagine there are a few folk in Eastern England who can receive Meteosat 5 directly, but it adds for the rest of us a further dimension to the global network. The possibilities of doing a Mercator mosaic using HRIT data is I guess getting nearer ;-))

Cheers,
James
--
James Brown