Topics

Lateral thinking

Roger Mawhinney <roger@...>

We seem to be missing something here.

I've been running a single PC system (Athlon 2200+, 1Gb memory, Raid 0
disks, XP Pro) and never really checked missing segments assuming that I
would naturally miss a lot more than the dedicated 2 PC systems. However,
over the past few days, I've realised that I'm probably on a par with most
users. I'm currently running MSGDataManager, Outlook, Norton Anti-virus,
Office Indexing, Defrag, Climate Prediction and probably a load of other
junk I don't even realise. When I use the PC it's for mostly really serious
Photoshop work as well as the background remote imaging, yet I do not feel I
am seriously disadvantaged in terms of quality and lost segments. Why not?

If it's not the PC, what else would cause serious segment loss? Is it
Eumetsat? Do they give any statistics as to lost or delayed segments?
Perhaps it is time for a bit more investigation away from the obvious over
loaded PC.

Roger Mawhinney
Lurgan, N. Ireland

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

If it's not the PC, what else would cause serious segment loss?
Is it Eumetsat? Do they give any statistics as to lost or delayed
segments? Perhaps it is time for a bit more investigation away from
the obvious over loaded PC.

Roger,

EUMETSAT do monitor for missing and delayed segments. You will
sometimes see News messages when there is a known problem.

I guess they will have a service level agreement with the satellite
provider with penalty clauses if a certain reliability is not
acheived. They have published expected availability levels,
although these probably related to direct broadcast from MSG-1. I
haven't seen any actual published statistics myself. I know that
they value missing segment reports, though.

As a victim of the unexplained missing segments (UMS), I would like
to know the answer as well!

Roger Mawhinney <roger@...>

David
What puzzles me is that my data loss occurs predominately when my system is
not heavily loaded, i.e. when I'm at work during the normal day. I see some
deterioration when I am actively using my PC, but not what might be
expected. I'm really fishing around for other possible reasons - e.g.
Norton Live Update checks every 5 minutes by default, Microsoft network
updates are every 12 minutes, Outlooks checks for mail every 15 minutes,
etc. There are many other background operations going on within Windows.
With a number of non-synchronous repetitive processes, there is bound to be
a time when they all coincide, perhaps overloading the system for a brief
period in time.

Does anyone know what the various timeouts on Windows background services
are and what can be shut down without damage to the basic system?
Roger

|------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
|---------------------~--> Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits
|---------------------------------------------------------------
|------~->

|To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
|

|Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
|http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

--- In MSG-1@..., "Roger Mawhinney" <roger@m...> wrote:
David
What puzzles me is that my data loss occurs predominately when my
system is not heavily loaded, i.e. when I'm at work during the
normal day. I see some deterioration when I am actively using my
PC, but not what might be expected. I'm really fishing around for
other possible reasons - e.g.
Norton Live Update checks every 5 minutes by default
What the heck is that? If it's anti-virus, with respect I would
suggest that once a day was adequate, certainly if you are not using
the PC and out at work!

Microsoft network updates are every 12 minutes
What is that?

Outlooks checks for mail every 15 minutes, etc.
Turn off Outlook while you are at work! Pull out the network
connector, if you like!

In any case, a separate receiver PC which does not run "user
interactive tasks" is the Eumetsat recommendation.....

By the way: the HRIT sequence order seems rather "in tracle" right
now, so that's not your fault.

Roger Mawhinney <roger@...>

Don't worry, I have disabled all events that I can find. I was merely
pointing out that the defaults for Norton Live Update and other non-obvious
services can be unexpectedly frequent. I run nothing that I don't need or
want to run which is probably why my system is on a par with a 2 PC system.
What I am concerned about are those events that I haven't identified yet
that might a high load on the system at regular intervals - task manager
doesn't allow me to spot those. These could also affect a 2 PC system.
Roger