LaPalma eruption animation using EUMETCast data from EUMETSAT.

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

LaPalma eruption animated at 15 minute intervals by my GeoSatSignal software with the Volcanic Dust RGB setting, using Met-11 data from EUMETSAT.

Cheers,
David
--
SatSignal Software - Quality software for you
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk
Twitter: @gm8arv

geojohnt@...

David,

Interesting.
I was going to get around to this, this afternoon after seeing the spectacular eruption shots on the late news last night.

Regards,
John.

-----Original Message-----
From: David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺 via groups.io <david-taylor@...>
To: MSG-1@groups.io
Sent: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 14:50
Subject: [MSG-1] LaPalma eruption animation using EUMETCast data from EUMETSAT.

LaPalma eruption animated at 15 minute intervals by my GeoSatSignal software
with the Volcanic Dust RGB setting, using Met-11 data from EUMETSAT.

Cheers,
David
--

Ibercom x

Hi,
 I got a good image from  Canary Island, GeoSatSignal Met 11 data Dust RGB.  
Cheers  

El lun, 20 sept 2021 a las 15:00, geojohnt via groups.io (<geojohnt=aol.com@groups.io>) escribió:
David,

Interesting.
I was going to get around to this, this afternoon after seeing the spectacular eruption shots on the late news last night.

Regards,
John.

-----Original Message-----
From: David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺 via groups.io <david-taylor=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io>
Sent: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 14:50
Subject: [MSG-1] LaPalma eruption animation using EUMETCast data from EUMETSAT.

LaPalma eruption animated at 15 minute intervals by my GeoSatSignal software
with the Volcanic Dust RGB setting, using Met-11 data from EUMETSAT.

Cheers,
David
--

Ernst Lobsiger

Hi,

for what it is worth, here is my version of LaPalma. Ogv runs in browsers like MS Edge or FireFox. Right click video to get the controls ...

Regards,
Ernst

On 20/09/2021 20:28, Ernst Lobsiger via groups.io wrote:
Hi,

for what it is worth, here is my version of LaPalma. Ogv runs in browsers like
MS Edge or FireFox. Right click video to get the controls ...

Regards,
Ernst
Very impressive, Ernst!

It clearly shows the benefit of 10-bit data, and the 5-minute steps from the
Rapid Scan Service!

Any chance you could make that available in a standard video format? I used
GIF simply because I knew Twitter would accept that, and the file was only 3.8
MB. Maybe an MPEG might be better?

Thanks,
David
--

Graham Woolf

Hi Ernst

That is very impressive

Do you think you could upload the python script that you used to produce that - it would be very useful

Kind Regards

Graham

Ferdinand Valk

Ernst,

Very impressive indeed!

In case you would be willing to share this script, it would be highly appreciated.

Cheers,

Ferdinand

From: MSG-1@groups.io On Behalf Of Ernst Lobsiger via groups.io
Sent: Monday, 20 September, 2021 19:29
Subject: Re: [MSG-1] LaPalma eruption animation using EUMETCast data from EUMETSAT.

Hi,

for what it is worth, here is my version of LaPalma. Ogv runs in browsers like MS Edge or FireFox. Right click video to get the controls ...

Regards,
Ernst

Ernst Lobsiger

Dear All,

this is a simple BASH script plus an ffmpeg one-liner. The idea is that you have all frames (I use *.jpg images) preprocessed in a directory. In my case the frame images must be in timely order. If not you can use a "touch" first and give them the timestamp according to the slot time. The script then uses a scratch directory to make symbolic links to these images with typical link names frame-000.jpg, frame-001.jpg, ... ffmpeg finally assembles these linked frames to a video of your joice. There are myriads of ffmpeg command line switches, I'm not an expert :-\. I normally make *.ogv videos as these can directly be started from a WEB server by double click in FireFox or MS Edge. And BTW *.ogv codec is a free format not impaired by software patents. But of course, once you have ffmpeg installed,  you can also make *.avi, *.mp4 or whatever you prefer.

I process everything on my GNU/Linux receiver. For Windows users it should be rather easy to translate the video generation to a CMD script (maybe without my possibility of making rolling videos of the last -m xxxx minutes).

I updated the LaPalma videos with composites "ash" and "dust" and also made *.mp4 versions (I normally don't use video players. I hope *.mp4 falls under what David called "... a standard video format?" :-). I attach the scripts I just used to make those videos. You find the files under "images + movies" on my oldest and weakest TC receiver.

http://5.153.116.236:85                                            (Internet has become a bad place for online services, this link will not stay open indefinitely ...)

Happy hacking,
Ernst

P.S. Even with all the extra load from LaPalma my GNU/Linux TC receiver didn't miss a single UDP packet ...

Ferdinand Valk

Ernst,

I see that you base yourself on animating an already existing bunch of images. I had tried to combine image generation (from time slot – to timeslot) with animated that lot in one script. Needlessly complicated as you show in your approach.

Thanks for sharing.

Ferdinand

From: MSG-1@groups.io On Behalf Of Ernst Lobsiger via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, 21 September, 2021 14:27
Subject: Re: [MSG-1] LaPalma eruption animation using EUMETCast data from EUMETSAT.

Dear All,

this is a simple BASH script plus an ffmpeg one-liner. The idea is that you have all frames (I use *.jpg images) preprocessed in a directory. In my case the frame images must be in timely order. If not you can use a "touch" first and give them the timestamp according to the slot time. The script then uses a scratch directory to make symbolic links to these images with typical link names frame-000.jpg, frame-001.jpg, ... ffmpeg finally assembles these linked frames to a video of your joice. There are myriads of ffmpeg command line switches, I'm not an expert :-\. I normally make *.ogv videos as these can directly be started from a WEB server by double click in FireFox or MS Edge. And BTW *.ogv codec is a free format not impaired by software patents. But of course, once you have ffmpeg installed,  you can also make *.avi, *.mp4 or whatever you prefer.

I process everything on my GNU/Linux receiver. For Windows users it should be rather easy to translate the video generation to a CMD script (maybe without my possibility of making rolling videos of the last -m xxxx minutes).

I updated the LaPalma videos with composites "ash" and "dust" and also made *.mp4 versions (I normally don't use video players. I hope *.mp4 falls under what David called "... a standard video format?" :-). I attach the scripts I just used to make those videos. You find the files under "images + movies" on my oldest and weakest TC receiver.

http://5.153.116.236:85                                            (Internet has become a bad place for online services, this link will not stay open indefinitely ...)

Happy hacking,
Ernst

P.S. Even with all the extra load from LaPalma my GNU/Linux TC receiver didn't miss a single UDP packet ...

Ernst Lobsiger

Ferdinand,

to begin with I also thought that the way to go is adding frames with ffmpeg to a certain length and then add a latest frame to the video and delete the oldest frame fom the video. I was afraid that rebuilding the whole animation again and again would overload my TelliCast receiver PC. But my experiments to cut off just one frame were to no avail and results seemed to depend on the video codec used. Now my BAS only receiver Terra demonstrates, that even heavy image and video processing is possible on the fly under GNU/Linux. Low RAM needs just some intelligent sequence of basic CRON jobs. Building the videos from a whole sequence also just skips missing slot images without extra error code.

Regards,
Ernst

On 21/09/2021 15:26, Ernst Lobsiger via groups.io wrote:
I updated the LaPalma videos with composites "ash" and "dust" and also made
*.mp4 versions (I normally don't use video players. I hope *.mp4 falls under
what David called "... a standard video format?" :-). I attach the scripts I
just used to make those videos. You find the files under "images + movies" on
my oldest and weakest TC receiver.

http://5.153.116.236:85 <http://5.153.116.236:85>
            (Internet has become a bad place for online services, this link
will not stay open indefinitely ...)

Happy hacking,
Ernst
Perfect, Ernst. Downloaded.

BTW: I do add a new frame, and subtract the old in my MSG Animator program.
Using FFMPEG would certainly be a good alternative.

Cheers,
David
--

Ernst Lobsiger

Hi All,

For those poor Windows users that struggle wih CMD here is a little help. I know there is now PowerShell but I'm too old and not interested to learn that.
Copy the file to your Desktop, rename it  makevideo.cmd, right-click edit it with your Windows user name, open a CMD Window and cd to your Desktop.
You can already give it a first try typing  makevideo.cmd  (ENTER). Read how to get the benediction to make links (introduced in UNIX in the 1970 ties :-).

Happy hacking,
Ernst

Ernst Lobsiger

Sorry,

:: ffmpeg -y -r 5 -i %tmpdir%\dust-%03d.jpg -vcodec mpeg4 %movdir%\LaPalma-dust.mp4
should of course read
:: ffmpeg -y -r 5 -i %tmpdir%\frame-%03d.jpg -vcodec mpeg4 %movdir%\LaPalma-dust.mp4
in my skeleton script. Copy and paste as usual ...

Ernst

Ernst Lobsiger

It's me again

I tried to debug this makevideo.cmd as far as possible but I am not "elevated" and so I cannot even make a link with mklink as admin :-(. This must be something for Graham or Ferdinand to sort out ...

https://ss64.com/nt/mklink.html

By default, only Administrators can create symbolic links. The security setting 'Create symbolic links' can be granted at: Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\User Rights Assignment\

Creating a symbolic link requires elevation, but from Windows 10 build 14972, symlinks can be created without needing to elevate the console as administrator - this does however require that you have Developer Mode enabled.

My "final" script and its output attached.

Good luck
Ernst

On 22/09/2021 18:01, Ernst Lobsiger via groups.io wrote:
It's me again

I tried to debug this makevideo.cmd as far as possible but I am not "elevated"
and so I cannot even make a link with mklink as admin :-(. This must be
something for Graham or Ferdinand to sort out ...
[]
Good luck
Ernst
I use links for one application - pointing a single directory to the correct
version of SDR#. I just right-click, run my script as admin.

Cheers,
David
--

Ernst Lobsiger

On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 11:01 AM, David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺 wrote:
I use links for one application - pointing a single directory to the correct
version of SDR#. I just right-click, run my script as admin.
David,

here is my last script version. YES, it works with right-click + run as admin + enter PW. But it finally should work with a scheduler.
Maybe my ffmpeg under Windows 10 is not the last cry either. I let Windows users fiddle with ffmpeg installs and command lines.

Going back to GNU/Linux
Ernst

Ernst Lobsiger

Hi All,

I gave it a last try: Here an ffmpeg encoder command line that works in Windows 10 Pro 64 !

ffmpeg -y -r 5 -i isomrss-%%03d.jpg -vcodec mpeg4 %movdir%\MSG3-isomrss.avi

Replace the line in the last makevideo.cmd. Libtheora seems to ask for a special compilation.

Cheers,
Ernst

On 22/09/2021 20:37, Ernst Lobsiger via groups.io wrote:
David,

here is my last script version. YES, it works with right-click + run as admin +
enter PW. But it finally should work with a scheduler.
Maybe my ffmpeg under Windows 10 is not the last cry either. I let Windows
users fiddle with ffmpeg installs and command lines.

Going back to GNU/Linux
Ernst
Ernst,

On all my systems there is no need to enter a password after Run as Admin is
used. These are set up in the standard Windows way - if you need to enter a
password the PC is not set up as an "out of the box" configuration.

The Windows Task Scheduler allows you to run a script as Admin - as easy as
ticking a box.

I'm back to Linux today where every wretched version update stops /something/
working - this time it's GPSD where a new version comes out several times a
year are creates new problems every time. Even recompiling doesn't resolve the
issues this time. I remain ever grateful that backward compatibility has a
much higher priority with Windows than with Linux.

Cheers,
David
--

On 22/09/2021 21:23, Ernst Lobsiger via groups.io wrote:
Hi All,

I gave it a last try: Here an ffmpeg encoder command line that works in Windows
10 Pro 64 !

ffmpeg -y -r 5 -i isomrss-%%03d.jpg -vcodec mpeg4 %movdir%\MSG3-isomrss.avi

Replace the line in the last makevideo.cmd. Libtheora seems to ask for a
special compilation.

Cheers,
Ernst
Just to remind Windows (or Linux/Wine users?) that animating in GeoSatSignal is
just a button click!

Cheers,
David
--

Ernst Lobsiger

On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 11:00 PM, David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺 wrote:
Just to remind Windows (or Linux/Wine users?) that animating in GeoSatSignal is
just a button click!
David,

yes and that's certainly what most Windows 10 users want because they never did much more than click.
My Windows 10 contributions are for those few users that want more and the freedom to add their own ideas.
Users of PyTROLL/SatPy will be ready when MTG1 and Metop second generation data becomes available.

That's why I publish a final and heavily commented version of my script. The last two days showed me again
how limited CMD scripting is. Compared with any GNU/Linux shell the CMD possibilities are close to ridiculous.

Cheers,
Ernst