Iceberg A-68A Dec. 21.

geojohnt@...

All,

A couple of Metop false colour images from today.

Lucky with cloud again.

Regards,
John T.

Hugo

Hello,

the image from Sentinel-3 has also a clear (almost) view on A68-A

https://www.flickr.com/photos/137270544@N02/50744157467/in/datetaken-public/

grts,

Hugo

Ernst Lobsiger

Hi,

here are my Pytroll/Satpy versions.

Regards,
Ernst

Ernst Lobsiger

Hi,

here is a last SAR view of iceberg A68a and its child (d?). We had two 6 day series so far:

Images of A68a only: 2020.12.01 B / 2020.12.07 A / 2020.12.13 B / 2020.12.19 A (ascending)
A68a and S. Georgia: 2020.12.03 A / 2020.12.09 B / 2020.12.15 A / 2020.12.21 B (descending)

Not sure how long it takes now to enter a next Sentinel-1 SAR series of A68a only images.
It looks like the crash with the South Georgia shell opened an oil well :-). Any explanation?

Cheers,
Ernst

geojohnt@...

Hello Hugo,

Oh great image.

The broken top bit of the ice berg appears to have turned 45 degrees from its joined position.
And there are some small icebergs to the east of South Georgia it seems in Metop images?

Regards,
john.

-----Original Message-----
To: MSG-1@groups.io
Sent: Mon, 21 Dec 2020 15:09
Subject: Re: [MSG-1] Iceberg A-68A Dec. 21.

Hello,

the image from Sentinel-3 has also a clear (almost) view on A68-A

https://www.flickr.com/photos/137270544@N02/50744157467/in/datetaken-public/

grts,

Hugo

geojohnt@...

Hello Ernst,

Nice images.

It's no good, I'm going to have to get into Sentinel data!

Regards,
John.

-----Original Message-----
To: MSG-1@groups.io
Sent: Mon, 21 Dec 2020 15:15
Subject: Re: [MSG-1] Iceberg A-68A Dec. 21.

Hi,

here are my Pytroll/Satpy versions.

Regards,
Ernst

Ferdinand Valk

Ernst, I saw your question only now.

Yes, there is an explanation. If you look at the black and white tiff image it becomes a bit clearer. The bright white is the SAR signature of open water. The dark in the image shows so called grease ice which has the distinct appearance of oil slick in radar. Grease ice is present as a thin layer on the water, one step prior to forming pancake ice. In fact a collection of disconnected clumps of crystals without coherence which can therefore flow in currents eddies and the like.

Cheers,

Ferdinand

From: MSG-1@groups.io On Behalf Of Ernst Lobsiger via groups.io
//snip

It looks like the crash with the South Georgia shell opened an oil well :-). Any explanation?

Cheers,
Ernst

Ernst Lobsiger

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 02:20 PM, Ferdinand Valk wrote:
Grease ice is present as a thin layer on the water, one step prior to forming pancake ice.
Ferdinand,

thanks for that education. I remember 1983 when we flew from Keflavik via Mestersvig all the way up to Station Nord my collegues from Denmark had a sort of SAR mounted on the left side of the C-130 fuselage. We followed the Greenland westcoast about 10km off shore and they were gathering radar signature data from pancake ice. So I know at least how the latter kind of ice looks like ...

Cheers,
Ernst