Iceberg A-68A Dec. 21.

geojohnt@...

All,

A couple of Metop false colour images from today.

Lucky with cloud again.

Regards,
John T.

Hugo

Hello,

the image from Sentinel-3 has also a clear (almost) view on A68-A

https://www.flickr.com/photos/137270544@N02/50744157467/in/datetaken-public/

grts,

Hugo

Ernst Lobsiger

Hi,

here are my Pytroll/Satpy versions.

Hi,

here is a last SAR view of iceberg A68a and its child (d?). We had two 6 day series so far:

Images of A68a only: 2020.12.01 B / 2020.12.07 A / 2020.12.13 B / 2020.12.19 A (ascending)
A68a and S. Georgia: 2020.12.03 A / 2020.12.09 B / 2020.12.15 A / 2020.12.21 B (descending)

Not sure how long it takes now to enter a next Sentinel-1 SAR series of A68a only images.
It looks like the crash with the South Georgia shell opened an oil well :-). Any explanation?

geojohnt@...

Hello Hugo,

Oh great image.

The broken top bit of the ice berg appears to have turned 45 degrees from its joined position.
And there are some small icebergs to the east of South Georgia it seems in Metop images?

Regards,
john.

the image from Sentinel-3 has also a clear (almost) view on A68-A

https://www.flickr.com/photos/137270544@N02/50744157467/in/datetaken-public/

grts,

Hugo

geojohnt@...

Hello Ernst,

Nice images.

It's no good, I'm going to have to get into Sentinel data!

From: MSG-1@groups.io On Behalf Of Ernst Lobsiger via groups.io
//snip

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 02:20 PM, Ferdinand Valk wrote:
Grease ice is present as a thin layer on the water, one step prior to forming pancake ice.
Ferdinand,

thanks for that education. I remember 1983 when we flew from Keflavik via Mestersvig all the way up to Station Nord my collegues from Denmark had a sort of SAR mounted on the left side of the C-130 fuselage. We followed the Greenland westcoast about 10km off shore and they were gathering radar signature data from pancake ice. So I know at least how the latter kind of ice looks like ...