Topics

HVS-1 unwanted channels blocking.

geojohnt@...

David,

As you know - having only recently changed over to using TC V.2.14.4 for HVS channels, that I've been plagued with unwanted data - GB's of it - that I 'couldn't' get rid of.

Last night I entered all the (further) channels listed on EUMETSAT's HVS-1 Channels and PIDs list and commented out all channels except TPG-1 GOES-16, TPG-2 Himawari and TPG-3 GOES-17 - the only channels I wanted.

However, GOES-15, NPP and EUMETSAT sounding data files were still filling my default folder with GB's of data.

So I then tried changing the '[channel] name=*' (see further down) from 'default' to 'star' in my cast-client-channels_hvs-1.ini configuration, deleted all the files in default folder at midnight and went to bed.
This morning at 11:50 BST I have 10.6 GB's of data in my 'star' folder and zero in my 'default' folder.

I hadn't realised that this was an active configuration, I thought this was just an example from TC as to how your 5 line configurations should look.
Now I recall, you said something recently about a 'catch all' configuration but I'm not sure you expanded on that.
Obviously, '[chanel] name=*' does just that.

QED, no files now in the 'star' folder.

DOH!

But it begs the question, does it not, that there is an active channel - not listed - on EUMETSAT's Channel and PID list, disseminating GOES-15, NPP and EUMETSAT sounding data that the '[channel] name=* is 'catching?'

I'm presuming the Announcement Channel, TSL-HVS-1,' is mandatory and 'looks after itself?'

Thorsten Miglus

John,

simply remove the  '[channel] name=*' entry from your ini file. And all unwanted data will not be stored any more.

Or you can comment it out by adding a # in every line:

#[channel]
#name=*
#receive_buffer_size=8000000
#target_directory=G:\test-1

'[channel] name=*' is catching all undefined channels. If you dont like to use this function simply delete it and it is gone....

Cheers,
Thorsten

On Sun, Jun 23, 2019 at 01:31 PM, <geojohnt@...> wrote:
[...]

David J Taylor

John,

simply remove the '[channel] name=*' entry from your ini file. And all unwanted data will not be stored any more.

Or you can comment it out by adding a # in every line:

#[channel]
#name=*
#receive_buffer_size=8000000
#target_directory=G:\test-1

'[channel] name=*' is catching all undefined channels. If you dont like to use this function simply delete it and it is gone....

Cheers,
Thorsten
===============================

Thanks for that, Thorsten.

In the samples I provided for John, the catch-all "*" entries were commented out. Likely it's not as obvious to someone now unfamiliar with scripting (whether it be DOS, Windows or UNIX)!

https://www.satsignal.eu/wxsat/cast-client-channels-bas.ini.txt
https://www.satsignal.eu/wxsat/cast-client-channels-hvs-1.ini.txt

geojohnt@...

Thorsten and David,

Thanks to both for further comments.

I was confused by data still coming in having commented out all listed channel in the EUMETSAT Channels and PIDS list - apart from the channels I wanted.

Seems strange that this data didn't have an an entry?

Anyway, all is now OK and tomorrow the big switch over to TC V.2.14.4 for BS.

I have of course already commented out [channel] name=* 😁