Topics

How to arrange receivers

Graham Woolf

Hi

This question may have been asked before but I cant seem to find it

I have two SR1's one has BAS/HVS1 and the other has HVS2

Is this the best arrangement or might it be better to move the HVS1 onto the HVS2 receiver

Kind Regards

Graham

Ernst Lobsiger

Graham

This is the *only* possible arrangement. Basic + HVS-1 are on the same
transponder T1 (it's a mixed 8PSK 16APSK datastream) while HVS-2 is on
transponder T2 (16APSK only). No way to receive HVS-1 + HVS-2 on an SR1.

Am 23.09.2020 13:37, schrieb Graham Woolf:

Hi
This question may have been asked before but I cant seem to find it
I have two SR1's one has BAS/HVS1 and the other has HVS2
Is this the best arrangement or might it be better to move the HVS1
onto the HVS2 receiver
Kind Regards
Graham

Graham Woolf

Hi Ernst

Thanks  for the info

Kind Regards

Graham

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

Hi

This question may have been asked before but I cant seem to find it

I have two SR1's one has BAS/HVS1 and the other has HVS2

Is this the best arrangement or might it be better to move the HVS1 onto the HVS2 receiver

Kind Regards

Graham
===================================

Graham, as Ernst says, you are running both the best and the worst arrangement - the ONLY arrangement which works!

I'd be interested to know what you take from HVS-2, as you may have seen that the EFR full-resolution data is ending next year. I wonder what's replacing it?

Graham Woolf

Hi David

I take the Sentinel data and process the images using Python

I would like to know what is replacing it too

Kind Regards

Graham

Ernst Lobsiger

Graham

If you come to the conclusion that there is no really interesting data on HVS-2 there is one more possibility:

You can use one SR1 for BASIC only and one SR1 for HVS-1 only. This way you degrade the first SR1
to what a SkyStar 2 eXpress HD can do (that you still occasionally find on e-Bay for 20 Euros). But
you are 100% sure to have the best possible BASIC reception on rainy days. I know there is the built
in possibility to switch HVS-1 off automatically depending on SNR and I admit I don't know how well that
works. I had several TBS-6925 PCIe cards (same demodulastor as the SR1) where I programmed the
driver to behave exactly like the SR1. The problem was that you need some integration time to have a
smoother SNR. Often very short term spikes and disturbances on HVS-1 still damaged BASIC reception.
I had the "solution" to switch OFF early but this way I didn't get as much from HVS-1 as actually possible.

David will certainly comment as an experienced SR1 user how well the ON /OFF switching with SNR works.

Graham
[]
David will certainly comment as an experienced SR1 user how well the ON /OFF switching with SNR works.

I run three SR1 receivers (for various reasons) but they are set up exactly as Ernst recommends, with one for each service. That's done via the MODCOD Mask:

Note that setting the MODCOD mask is a little unusual. From the main menu, go to the system menu (option 4), and enter H immediately followed by the mask you want:

for the Basic Service alone, type: H1000<enter>
for either High Volume Service alone, type: H40000<enter>
for both services on transponder 1 type: H41000<enter>

Had to look that up on my own Web page! I did that because I wanted as near perfect BAS reception as possible. All this was originally done when we changed from DVB-S to DVB-S2 and the HVS was a twinkle in Klaus-Peter's eye! As Ernst notes, when you have a less than ideal link margin, low signal can cause failures in the HVS-1, perhaps the receiver doesn't detect the end of the faster data stream, and this can introduce errors in the BAS as well.