From: "Douglas Deans" <douglas@...>
To: "MSG-1" <MSG-1@...>
Sent: Saturday, October 25, 2003 7:56 PM
Subject: [MSG-1] Hot Bird 6 11096 Transponder

I think it's about time we all wrote to Eutelsat to complain about this
intolerable service.
I do assume Eumetsat, who must be paying megabucks for the service have
also
voiced their disapproval.
This Transponder problem is far too frequent.

a_van_belle

--- In MSG-1@..., "Douglas Deans" <douglas@d...> wrote:
I think it's about time we all wrote to Eutelsat to complain about
this
intolerable service.
I do assume Eumetsat, who must be paying megabucks for the service
have also
voiced their disapproval.
This Transponder problem is far too frequent.

You're right Douglas, again I have two PC's out of lock, just when I
was testing a 2-way splitter to power two receivers from one LNB.
Monitoring Sailing channel on the same transponder does also show
interruptions and "freezes".
At this moment (19:07) still no lock on Eumetcast.
Will try other Hotbird6 transponders to check if only the 11096 is
affected.
Could it be an uplink problem or is it the recent breakout of solar
flux that impacts on Hotbird 6?

By the way they do expect a high possibility of "polar light" the
coming nights, unfortunately it's very cloudy over here.

Greetings,
Arne van Belle

James Brown <james@...>

In message <001a01c39b29$b64c6450$0100a8c0@douglas>, Douglas Deans <douglas@...> writes
I think it's about time we all wrote to Eutelsat to complain about this
intolerable service.
I do assume Eumetsat, who must be paying megabucks for the service have also
voiced their disapproval.
This Transponder problem is far too frequent.

The thing is Douglas that my TV link is fine - just the Eumetsat link gone again - wonder where the problem lies.

James

Douglas Deans <douglas@...>

I think it's about time we all wrote to Eutelsat to complain about this
intolerable service.
I do assume Eumetsat, who must be paying megabucks for the service have
also
voiced their disapproval.
This Transponder problem is far too frequent.

The thing is Douglas that my TV link is fine - just the Eumetsat link
gone again - wonder where the problem lies.

James
I disagree James, everything on 11096 is out... example Sailing Channel.
Be careful there are 4 Sailing Channels, 3 of which are on different
transponders from 11096.

I have a mail drafted to Eutelsat, but seeing Ian has sent one, perhaps two
with the same surname (hope they don't ask for a photo!) might be
suspicious !
I take it, James, that David has told you about Ian and I .

James Brown <james@...>

I disagree James, everything on 11096 is out... example Sailing Channel.
Be careful there are 4 Sailing Channels, 3 of which are on different
transponders from 11096.

I have a mail drafted to Eutelsat, but seeing Ian has sent one, perhaps two
with the same surname (hope they don't ask for a photo!) might be
suspicious !
I take it, James, that David has told you about Ian and I .

Fair enough Douglas. I should have phrased it more carefully. I hadn't checked other TV progs using 11096.

No - can't say I remember hearing about yourself and Ian!

Cheers,
James
--
James Brown

Douglas Deans <douglas@...>

I disagree James, everything on 11096 is out... example Sailing Channel.
Be careful there are 4 Sailing Channels, 3 of which are on different
transponders from 11096.

I have a mail drafted to Eutelsat, but seeing Ian has sent one, perhaps
two
with the same surname (hope they don't ask for a photo!) might be
suspicious !
I take it, James, that David has told you about Ian and I .

Fair enough Douglas. I should have phrased it more carefully. I hadn't
checked other TV progs using 11096.

No - can't say I remember hearing about yourself and Ian!

Cheers,
James
--
James Brown
Ah, my photo aside would not mean much then.... we're identical twins who
happen to have an identical hobby !

Oh good 11096 is back at green. It is most unusual to see such frequent
transponder problems with the one transponder. Perhaps it is time to switch
it. I don't think there is very much on 11096 which perhaps explains the
poor service... not enough shouting.
No it's off again !! Patience.

James Brown <james@...>

Ah, my photo aside would not mean much then.... we're identical twins who
happen to have an identical hobby !
Well, well! - as an only child I envy you - I think! Unless you are going to tell me otherwise!!! Sorry David, we're well OT now.

Cheers to you both then,

James
--
James Brown

Ian S Deans <ian@...>

Everything is out on that transponder. I have my normal TV on the
transponder as I type this and the signal is zero. I know that it is
probably automatic, but Eutelsat have acknowledged my mail and will get back
to me "shortly "
Ah --- I see the secret has been revealed by my younger brother ( 2 Minutes
!! )

Ian

I disagree James, everything on 11096 is out... example Sailing Channel.
Be careful there are 4 Sailing Channels, 3 of which are on different
transponders from 11096.

I have a mail drafted to Eutelsat, but seeing Ian has sent one, perhaps
two
with the same surname (hope they don't ask for a photo!) might be
suspicious !
I take it, James, that David has told you about Ian and I .

David J Taylor

--- In MSG-1@..., "Douglas Deans" <douglas@d...> wrote:
I think it's about time we all wrote to Eutelsat to complain about
this
intolerable service.
I do assume Eumetsat, who must be paying megabucks for the service
have also
voiced their disapproval.
This Transponder problem is far too frequent.

Yes, I'm seeing similar problems here - not having prior experience
of satellite TV I have to ask: Is this typical? If not, then
reminders of potential revenue lost through poor service reliability
may get the attention of the bean counters. I hope Eumetsat have
suitable Service Level Agreements with penalty clauses....

It didn't help that I had just started testing a new beta update of
the MSG Data Manager (which reduces memory consumption) just when
the problem happened! Unfortunately, I'm one of the people who has
to reboot to recover from this. I suspect Arne thought that he had
messed up something as well!

David J Taylor

I disagree James, everything on 11096 is out... example Sailing
Channel. Be careful there are 4 Sailing Channels, 3 of which are on
different transponders from 11096.

Douglas, I am sure that your careful observations will be helpful in
diagnosing the problem.... The more information, correlated amongst
a good number of widely spaced observers, the better.

I have a mail drafted to Eutelsat, but seeing Ian has sent one,
perhaps two with the same surname (hope they don't ask for a photo!)
might be suspicious !
I take it, James, that David has told you about Ian and I .

I didn't get chance, but did James tell you about the car parked
outside the restaurant (and others will wonder how on earth that is
on-topic!).

a_van_belle

--- In MSG-1@..., "David Taylor" <david-taylor@b...>
wrote:
It didn't help that I had just started testing a new beta update of
the MSG Data Manager (which reduces memory consumption) just when
the problem happened! Unfortunately, I'm one of the people who has
to reboot to recover from this. I suspect Arne thought that he had
messed up something as well!

They don't fool me now David ! I have on trial a the new Skystar
2.6B and my regular digital TV receiver running in parallel with my
receive PC. All 3 receivers confirmed loss of signal.
A good way to test the 2-way splitter and both Skystar revisions.

Can confirm that the outage also affected Kurdsat and Sailing channel
who are on the same transponder.
Another transponder on Hotbird 6 was not affected (11054 / ZDF).

Have gaps from 18:48 to 19:12 and from 19:13 to 19:20,
from 19:22 to 19:30 and finally from 19:33 to 20:07

Both receive systems resumed automatically at around 20:07

Greetings,
Arne van Belle

Luca Bertagnolio <lucaberta@...>

I know this would not justify the other outages experienced earlier
this month, but there is a major solar flare in progress since
yesterday.

http://www.pcmag.com/print_article/0,3048,a=110566,00.asp

Makes me wonder if Eutelsat is taking any measure, and have chosen
the 11096 transponder for their tests! ;-)

Bye, Luca