Help in the beginning

Giftmacher

Hi all, newbie here. Yesterday TBS 5927 USB arrived and I completed the hardware for reception. Today I was able to find the EUTELSAT-10
satellite and achieve signal lock with SNR of 11. Tc-cast-client connects to BAS, HV1 with no problem, sometimes there are various
errors (missing key, missed parts), and all I have received is bunch of bz2 and dat files, no images though.
What I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

Ernst Lobsiger

Giftmacher

You never get plain images but satellite data from special instruments you can produce images from.
To produce images you can buy David's programs, you can try Hugo's EUMETCastView or Rob's xrit2pic
or you can even give (Open Source) Pytroll/Satpy a go with my Starter_Kit that you find as *.zip on this list..

Good luck
Ernst

Giftmacher

Thank you! Is there any good tutorial for any from these programs? I also get often missed parts error. Do I need to improve SNR?

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

On 29/11/2020 06:30, Giftmacher via groups.io wrote:
Thank you! Is there any good tutorial for any from these programs? I also get often missed parts error. Do I need to improve SNR?
There's a lot of good advice in the EUMETSAT guides for each receiver type. The best guide to performance is the Link Margin, which should be at least 4 dB for most reliable reception. For example Rungsted in the graphs here:

https://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_eumetcast-europe_link_margin.php

This implies an SNR of about 13.5 dB. The SNR for the Basic Service alone can be quite a bit less, perhaps about 10 dB. The 4 dB margin allows for some degradation due to rainfall, ice-crystals in the clouds, an so forth.

In the receiver PC itself, things to watch out for are:

- network I/O - may not apply to the TBS5927

- USB load - perhaps use a separate USB 3.0 connection?

- disk I/O - is anything hammering the disk?

- CPU load - is something else stealing CPU cycles?

- do you have "temp" and "received" on the same partition?

Many of use us a RAMdisk to alleviate slow disk I/O issues. Some of the systems here use a RAMdisk for the TelliCast "received" and "temp" directories, with a job running at (say) every minute to copy/move the received data from RAMdisk to HD, where it is picked up by the processing programs (my own software, in my case).

Ask here if you need more help - there's a lot of experience!

Giftmacher

Maybe the repeater USB cable isn't best idea. Most of the pictures are incomplete.

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

On 29/11/2020 09:02, Giftmacher via groups.io wrote:
Maybe the repeater USB cable isn't best idea. Most of the pictures are incomplete.
I think it more likely to be one of the PC issues I mentioned, but try a longer RF lead as a test. The RF gain is in the LNB, so longer cables can be tolerated.

Giftmacher

Ok, since I have no other coaxial cable, I have tried the RAMdisk according to this article
https://www.satsignal.eu/wxsat/atovs/RAMdisk.pdf Now I see messages like this:
ERR:2020-11-29 11:10:40.806:Could not join channel "EPS-10": Missing key 58020.

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

On 29/11/2020 11:13, Giftmacher via groups.io wrote:
Ok, since I have no other coaxial cable, I have tried the RAMdisk according to this article
https://www.satsignal.eu/wxsat/atovs/RAMdisk.pdf <https://www.satsignal.eu/wxsat/atovs/RAMdisk.pdf> Now I see messages like this:
ERR:2020-11-29 11:10:40.806:Could not join channel "EPS-10": Missing key 58020.
Weak signal or other errors. Could be a wobbly dish.

On 29/11/2020 11:13, Giftmacher via groups.io wrote:
Ok, since I have no other coaxial cable, I have tried the RAMdisk according to this article
https://www.satsignal.eu/wxsat/atovs/RAMdisk.pdf <https://www.satsignal.eu/wxsat/atovs/RAMdisk.pdf> Now I see messages like this:
ERR:2020-11-29 11:10:40.806:Could not join channel "EPS-10": Missing key 58020.
Your first step should be to disable the HVS-1, and get the BAS working properly first. Any errors in the HVS can affect the BAS.

The RAMdisk we now tend to use in a different way.

Giftmacher

Today I'm using only BAS, but again missing parts errors appeared. I started to suspect the coaxial
cable, which is Televes T100, which seems to be intended for 2-3 GHz.

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

On 29/11/2020 12:12, Giftmacher via groups.io wrote:
Today I'm using only BAS, but again missing parts errors appeared. I started to suspect the coaxial
cable, which is Televes T100, which seems to be intended for 2-3 GHz.
The LNB contains a down-converter from the 11 GHz signal to a 1.5 GHz (approx) signal, so cable intended for "satellite TV" will be fine.

On Sun, Nov 29, 2020 at 04:12 AM, Giftmacher wrote:
Today I'm using only BAS, but again missing parts errors appeared. I started to suspect the coaxial
cable, which is Televes T100, which seems to be intended for 2-3 GHz.
Giftmacher

It's not enough to use only BAS by starting just a BAS client. You have to set a MODCOD filter to prevent HVS-1 from even reaching your PC.
Missing keys are often due to an EKU problem. Put the receiver and EKU in USB2 sockets. Maybe try different USB2 sockets (rear and front).