GOMS3 support in the MSG Data Manager beta

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

GOMS3 support in the MSG Data Manager beta

Folks,

For those of you wanting to try the recently released GOMS3 data on EUMETCast there is a beta update to the MSG Data Manager here:

https://www.satsignal.eu/software/beta.htm

I am not currently happy with the IR4 data which appears to have a double or out of focus image (not caused by my program as far as I know) and the Visible channel seems to have the excessive gain issue which was present on GOMS2 visible. IIRC it was far too dark (full scale being far less than 100%) and EUMETSAT tweaked their processing to compensate).

Reports welcome.

Graham Woolf

Hi

Do users have access to this data yet

I havent seen any images come through

Regards

Graham

Ernst Lobsiger

On Sat, Mar 27, 2021 at 03:54 AM, Graham Woolf wrote:
I havent seen any images come through
Graham,

<cite>
Access to these data will be automatically provided for Member State NMHSs and registered manufacturers. Following a successful trial, it is planned to make them available to the wider User community.
</cite>

This is still a trial phase. David has the EUMETSAT "registered manufacturer" benediction.

On 27/03/2021 10:54, Graham Woolf wrote:
Hi
Do users have access to this data yet
I havent seen any images come through
Regards
Graham
Graham,

If you're keen to test the data I may be able to ask EUMETSAT to give you access. It would be good to have a second opinion. I think Douglas Deans should already have access, and James Brown too.

Graham Woolf

Hi David

Thats very kind of you - that would be great

Thanks

Kind Regards

Graham

James Brown

I’m updating the manager today and have also applied the new Sentinel channels - hopefully done it ok.

Will report soon.
Cheers.

JB

On 27 Mar 2021, at 13:47, David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺 via groups.io <david-taylor=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

On 27/03/2021 10:54, Graham Woolf wrote:
Hi
Do users have access to this data yet
I havent seen any images come through
Regards
Graham
Graham,

If you're keen to test the data I may be able to ask EUMETSAT to give you access. It would be good to have a second opinion. I think Douglas Deans should already have access, and James Brown too.

James Brown

Done the update now so keeping an eye on the tab.
Many thanks.

On Sat, Mar 27, 2021 at 06:47 AM, David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺 wrote:
If you're keen to test the data I may be able to ask EUMETSAT to give you access. It would be good to have a second opinion.
David and Graham,

at least as far as PyTROLL/Satpy is concerned there is an ongoing discussion/investigation about the GOMS3 'satellite_id' disseminated in the Prlogue.

https://groups.google.com/g/pytroll/c/2fjnngvdjlI

This means that either the current dissemination of GOMS3 Prologue files or the current PyTROLL/Satpy reader for these files will yet have to be updated.

https://groups.google.com/g/pytroll/c/2fjnngvdjlI <https://groups.google.com/g/pytroll/c/2fjnngvdjlI>
This means that either the current dissemination of GOMS3 Prologue files or the current PyTROLL/Satpy reader for these files will yet have to be updated.
Thanks, Ernst. That doesn't seem to be an issue for the MSG Data Manager. However, I haven't checked in detail what use - if any - I make for the prolog data.

James Brown

Had a visitor but can now confirm reception and processing of available channels by the latest DataManager.

Many thanks.

James

On 27 Mar 2021, at 14:11, James Brown <satellite@meteosat.co.uk> wrote:

Done the update now so keeping an eye on the tab.
Many thanks.

JB

On 27 Mar 2021, at 13:47, David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺 via groups.io <david-taylor=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

On 27/03/2021 10:54, Graham Woolf wrote:
Hi
Do users have access to this data yet
I havent seen any images come through
Regards
Graham
Graham,

If you're keen to test the data I may be able to ask EUMETSAT to give you access. It would be good to have a second opinion. I think Douglas Deans should already have access, and James Brown too.

Graham Woolf

Hi David

Have just received my first GOMS3 data at 11:30 UTC this morning and have produced this image using Ernst pytroll script

Regards

Graham

Douglas Deans

On 29/03/2021 12:59, Graham Woolf wrote:
Hi David
Have just received my first GOMS3 data at 11:30 UTC this morning and have produced this image using Ernst pytroll script
Regards
Graham

Excellent Graham. I assume you adapted the original script from V1. I am in the process of doing that (so far without success) but successfully using Hugo's EumetcastWatcher/EUMETCasView.

Graham Woolf

Hi Douglas

Yes I did - all I had to do was change the  GOMS2 reference to GOMS3  and it all worked

Regards

Graham

Douglas Deans

On 29/03/2021 14:00, Graham Woolf wrote:
Hi Douglas
Yes I did - all I had to do was change the  GOMS2 reference to GOMS3 and it all worked
Regards
Graham

Yes using V1 I also managed it Graham. Trying to re-write the script in V3 language. Let's just say it is a work in progress. Keeps telling me off !!

On 26/03/2021 11:35, David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴 🇪🇺 via groups.io wrote:
GOMS3 support in the MSG Data Manager beta
Folks,
For those of you wanting to try the recently released GOMS3 data on
EUMETCast there is a beta update to the MSG Data Manager here:
https://www.satsignal.eu/software/beta.htm
I am not currently happy with the IR4 data which appears to have a
double or out of focus image (not caused by my program as far as I know)
and the Visible channel seems to have the excessive gain issue which was
present on GOMS2 visible. IIRC it was far too dark (full scale being
far less than 100%) and EUMETSAT tweaked their processing to compensate).
Reports welcome.
MSG Data Manager beta updated today with a better gain setting for the visible channel.

Sample using GeoSatSignal attached.

James Brown

That’s excellent. Thank you.

James.

On 30 Mar 2021, at 11:24, David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺 via groups.io <david-taylor=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

On 26/03/2021 11:35, David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴 🇪🇺 via groups.io wrote:
GOMS3 support in the MSG Data Manager beta
Folks,
For those of you wanting to try the recently released GOMS3 data on
EUMETCast there is a beta update to the MSG Data Manager here:
https://www.satsignal.eu/software/beta.htm
I am not currently happy with the IR4 data which appears to have a
double or out of focus image (not caused by my program as far as I know)
and the Visible channel seems to have the excessive gain issue which was
present on GOMS2 visible. IIRC it was far too dark (full scale being
far less than 100%) and EUMETSAT tweaked their processing to compensate).
Reports welcome.
MSG Data Manager beta updated today with a better gain setting for the visible channel.

Sample using GeoSatSignal attached.

<GOMS3-false_colour.jpg>
<GOMS3-false_colour-crop.jpg>

Douglas Deans

On 30/03/2021 11:22, David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴 🇪🇺 via groups.io wrote:
On 26/03/2021 11:35, David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴 🇪🇺 via groups.io wrote:
GOMS3 support in the MSG Data Manager beta

Folks,

For those of you wanting to try the recently released GOMS3 data on
EUMETCast there is a beta update to the MSG Data Manager here:

    https://www.satsignal.eu/software/beta.htm

I am not currently happy with the IR4 data which appears to have a
double or out of focus image (not caused by my program as far as I know)
and the Visible channel seems to have the excessive gain issue which was
present on GOMS2 visible.  IIRC it was far too dark (full scale being
far less than 100%) and EUMETSAT tweaked their processing to compensate).

Reports welcome.

MSG Data Manager beta updated today with a better gain setting for the visible channel.
Sample using GeoSatSignal attached.

Very nice David. Many thanks.

Graham Woolf

Hi David

Working well here too - thanks

Regards

Graham

Ernst Lobsiger

Dear All

GOMS3 dissemination is still in the test phase. Lately I have a severe problem imaging data especially around
76°E local noon which is at about 07:30 UTC. Could anyone with access to the data confirm he sees the same?

Graham Woolf

Hi Ernst

I can confirm I am seeing exactly the same as you

Also I am seeing the same  problem with missing segments on FY3D data that we had a few months ago - do you see that too ?

Regards

Graham