Topics

GOES 16 R Decoding Software

MZFB@...

Hello
I have my new hardware up and running and I'm getting a good downlink signal. So now I'm looking for software that I can use with my Raspberry PI 3 B+ for decoding and displaying. What I'm looking for is some basic up to date software without having to do to much twitting at first to get me started. I've gone to a couple sites and most of the stuff is 2 years & 3 years old and then there's a bunch of  stuff that you have add to even make it work from what I'm seeing so far. Just really hoping somebody can help me get started and then I think can manage it from that point.
Thanks in advance.
Mike
W1ZFB

Christian Peters

Mike,

I fear there is no easy solution.

You could try Robs xrit2pic maybe!?
but I didn’t test this on PI 3 B+.
Anyway I'm not sure you will be happy to render GOES16/17 with just 1GB ram.
You could try to install Ernst packet just released here today on the PI, but this is not tested yet and you have to do some configuration. I think there will be some test on RPI4 in the near future for that….
But even if you got it running on your Pi I think 1GB ram could be the show stopper here.
There is EumetcastView too but I think you have to compile it for ARM  and I’m not sure you will get happy on a Pi  (if it's really possible to compile EMV on ARM and it’s graphic chip!?).
Maybe Hugo can say something to that.
But as you have already a Pi you should be familiar to do lots of command line stuff..! :-D

Regards,

Christina

Am 17.01.2021 um 20:39 schrieb MZFB via groups.io <MZFB@...>:

Hello
I have my new hardware up and running and I'm getting a good downlink signal. So now I'm looking for software that I can use with my Raspberry PI 3 B+ for decoding and displaying. What I'm looking for is some basic up to date software without having to do to much twitting at first to get me started. I've gone to a couple sites and most of the stuff is 2 years & 3 years old and then there's a bunch of  stuff that you have add to even make it work from what I'm seeing so far. Just really hoping somebody can help me get started and then I think can manage it from that point.
Thanks in advance.
Mike
W1ZFB

Christian Peters

Btw., that what I get form Ernst PyTROLL/SatPy Starter Kit V3.0 for GNU/Linux regarding GOES-16 .

Regards,

Christian

Am 17.01.2021 um 22:19 schrieb Christian Peters via groups.io <hctpeters@...>:

[...]

Thanks to all that's replied so far. I'm okay not using the PI, what would be a better piece of Hardware to support the software need for GOES-r?
Thanks for your help on this project.
Mike

MZFB@...

Christina
I'm sorry I didn't comment on image, it really looks like what I'm after. What hardware are using to decode. If you could elaborate on the specifics of the hardware that would help me a lot.
Thanks
Mike

Christian Peters

Mike,

you could use Eumetcastview (Win/Linux)

or software form David Taylor (Win)

or xrit2pic (Win/Linux)

or PyTROLL/SatPy Starter Kit V3.0 for GNU/Linux (Linux/Win CLI only!)
(search the group messages for the packages)

As the developers are present on the group they certainly will answer.
As written this image was done with the new  PyTROLL/SatPy starter kit. In this case it was a done on a low power mini pc, 16GB Ram, Intel Celeron J1900, Debian10 Linux. But 8GB should be even work.

Regards,

Christian

Am 18.01.2021 um 01:56 schrieb MZFB via groups.io <MZFB@...>:

Christina
I'm sorry I didn't comment on image, it really looks like what I'm after. What hardware are using to decode. If you could elaborate on the specifics of the hardware that would help me a lot.
Thanks
Mike

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

On 18/01/2021 07:49, Christian Peters via groups.io wrote:
Mike,
[]
or software form David Taylor (Win)
My free Windows software for GOES-16 and GOES-17 is here:

https://www.satsignal.eu/software/GOES-ABI-Manager.html

It decodes the ABI files sent over EUMETCast, but the file names and format are the same as that available for download from NOAA, I believe.

My software for channel combination, geographic re-projection, and animation is called GeoSatSignal:

https://www.satsignal.eu/software/geosatsignal.htm

Hugo

Hi Mike,

>> What hardware are using to decode. If you could elaborate on the specifics of the hardware that would help me a lot.

As Christian already explained , the hardware is nothing fancy, but 8 GByte memory is preferable. If you like to run  EUMETCastView, than you need 16 GByte + OpenGL.
But most PC's ( even the cheapest ones ) have that kind of memory , so .....

Kind regards,

Hugo

MZFB@...

Hello
Thanks for the reply's. I wanted to answer Hugo I have 1.7 Grid dish with the Nooelec GOES sawbird LNA and right now I borrow a friends RSDPlay RSP dx but i may purchase my own RSP 1A. I ordered a PI 3B+ but everyone said that wouldn't work well so I'm going to send it back when it comes. Now I'm getting ready to order the PI 4b with 8GB but I will wait to see what I hear back from you all.  I also have some windows PCs that I could wipe and put Ubuntu on if that would even better (would save money too!).
David thank you I will look at the stuff sent as well what computer hardware is needed for your program?
Thank you so much for helping!
Mike

Ernst Lobsiger

On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 05:41 AM, <MZFB@...> wrote:
wanted to answer Hugo I have 1.7 Grid dish with the Nooelec GOES sawbird LNA and right now I borrow a friends RSDPlay RSP dx but i may purchase my own RSP 1A.
Mike,

are you on GNC-A

https://geonetcast.wordpress.com/

or do you try to use SDR for EUMETCast via EUTELSAT 10A (Hugo is interested)?

P.S. My Starter Kit should run on a RASPI4 8GB but maybe you have to use a fan cooling.

Ernst Lobsiger

On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 06:05 AM, Ernst Lobsiger wrote:
wanted to answer Hugo I have 1.7 Grid dish with the Nooelec GOES sawbird LNA and right now I borrow a friends RSDPlay RSP dx but i may purchase my own RSP 1A.
Mike,

having a closer look at the HW you listed above and considering the fact that you keep talking about "decoding and display"  and also the subject says what it says, I'm afraid this is one big misunderstanding.
All the software presented here does not decode but only construct and display images from error free received files. Our receivers use DVB-S2 HW that must be VCM capable for EUMETCast. The reception
and decoding software is a COTS TelliCast Client from Newtec. If you rather want to do something like

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-com-goes-16-17-and-gk-2a-weather-satellite-reception-comprehensive-tutorial/

then this is the wrong group. I have not studied the referenced article so I'm not sure about the PC HW you need. But chances are that you have to send back the second RASPI as well. Prove me wrong.

MZFB@...

Ernst
Sorry for the confusion. I will look at the link you provided and see where that leads me. But again thanks for the clarification. I will let everyone know how I make out.
Mike

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

On 18/01/2021 13:41, MZFB via groups.io wrote:
David thank you I will look at the stuff sent as well what computer hardware is needed for your program?
Thank you so much for helping!
Mike
Mike,

Broadly speaking, and normal Windows PC. No expensive graphics card, 4 GB memory likely OK, quad-core processor suggested.