FY-3D

Ian Deans

Yesterday For the first time in a few weeks I used EUMETCastView to visualise FY-3D data.

Firstly I was extremely surprised to find that none of the data appeared to cover Europe, and also I was unable to get any imagery in EUMETCastView from the substantial amount of data received, although I have never been able to visualise any form of IR imagery from any of the channels on EUMETCastView.

I was however able to get some images from SNAP, but these were only small individual segments.

I only run about 14 hours a day so will monitor this again from this morning, but all a little strange.

Hugo

Hi Ian,

Because FY-3D is a polar satellite you need recent TLE's to see the exact location of the segments on the 3D globe.
Old TLE's shows segments on the 3D globe in the wrong place. Also old data files with recent TLE's shows segments in the wrong place.
If you don't see any satellite data, it could mean that your  Segment Directories are pointing to the wrong directory.

grts,

Hugo

Ian Deans

On 04/01/2022 11:39, Hugo wrote:
Hi Ian,
Because FY-3D is a polar satellite you need recent TLE's to see the exact location of the segments on the 3D globe.
Old TLE's shows segments on the 3D globe in the wrong place. Also old data files with recent TLE's shows segments in the wrong place.
If you don't see any satellite data, it could mean that your  Segment Directories are pointing to the wrong directory.
grts,
Hugo

Thanks for the reply Hugo.

My TLE's are up to date and the FY-3D data that I have been receiving this morning according to the 3D globe is the satellite descending down the Pacific with the coastline of Western America showing. This is confirmed by the images I am seeing on SNAP.

I will have a check on the missing satellite data and report back.

My understanding though was that the FY-3D data was from the EARS stations and not global, although it appears that we are only receiving global data as it descends in the dark and it will be after midnight approx. before it descends down Europe.

Surely someone else is taking this data and can confirm what I am seeing.

James Brown

On 4 Jan 2022, at 14:29, Ian Deans via groups.io <iandeans142=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

On 04/01/2022 11:39, Hugo wrote:
[...]

Hi Ian, I’ve just had a check. Part of the trouble is I’m having great difficulty separating night time from day on the globe as the segments overlap even when the globe is zoomed. It always seems to want to pick up the night time when I right click select.
Selecting real time isn’t showing any so perhaps your observations are correct.

But checking the e1h-rds-2 directory is showing a host of hdf files for today right up to the current time.

Any suggestions for settings would be appreciated.

Cheers,
James.

Douglas Deans

Thanks for the reply Hugo.
My TLE's are up to date and the FY-3D data that I have been receiving this morning according to the 3D globe is the satellite descending down the Pacific with the coastline of Western America showing. This is confirmed by the images I am seeing on SNAP.
I will have a check on the missing satellite data and report back.
My understanding though was that the FY-3D data was from the EARS stations and not global, although it appears that we are only receiving global data as it descends in the dark and it will be after midnight approx. before it descends down Europe.
Surely someone else is taking this data and can confirm what I am seeing.

No, all my FY-3D data is perfect today and all in the EARS stations locations as expected.
It does sound like a kepler issue. Remember that EUMETCastView (default setting) has its own kepler location which needs updated from the program ie not where we usually keep our keplers for other purposes.

Here is a quick image from this morning.

Hi,

all normal here. If I ask my FY3D script to go to the american westcoast thats what I get (Hudson Bay) for all days of that year 2022.

Ernst

Hugo

Hi James,

The button "Show All Segments" (if activated) shows all the segments received that day. When this button is NOT active than it shows a few segments that you can change with the scrollbar on the left of the 3D Globe.
The number of segments shown is indicated by the spin box "Show number of segments in satellite path" on the "Satellite Setup" screen.
This way you can visualize all the segments received by changing the scrollbar with the mouse( hold left mouse button).
Hope this helps ...

grts,

Hugo

James Brown

On 4 Jan 2022, at 15:47, Hugo <hvanruys@...> wrote:

Hi James,

The button "Show All Segments" (if activated) shows all the segments received that day. When this button is NOT active than it shows a few segments that you can change with the scrollbar on the left of the 3D Globe.
The number of segments shown is indicated by the spin box "Show number of segments in satellite path" on the "Satellite Setup" screen.
This way you can visualize all the segments received by changing the scrollbar with the mouse( hold left mouse button).
Hope this helps ...

grts,

Hugo
_._,_.

Brilliant. Thank you Hugo. Had completely forgotten about the scroll bar!

If you have a moment can you confirm that there aren’t any options in the image display to stretch contrast for example. This time of the year is not good for the UK!

Thank you again.

James.

Hugo

James,

No for MERSI  there are no image manipulation options in EUMETCastView. You  can always of course save the image as a PNG and use some kind of image manipulation software.....
grts,

Hugo

James Brown

On 4 Jan 2022, at 15:47, Hugo <hvanruys@tvvlaanderen.net> wrote:

Hi James,

The button "Show All Segments" (if activated) shows all the segments received that day. When this button is NOT active than it shows a few segments that you can change with the scrollbar on the left of the 3D Globe.
The number of segments shown is indicated by the spin box "Show number of segments in satellite path" on the "Satellite Setup" screen.
This way you can visualize all the segments received by changing the scrollbar with the mouse( hold left mouse button).
Hope this helps ...

grts,

Hugo
Thanks for the confirmation.
All the very best.
James.

Ian Deans

Thanks to everyone who replied.

This is a new computer I got a few months ago and have only recently added EUMETCastview so clearly something is very wrong.

I do mainly use David's programs as I use a lot of animation, but of course VIIRS and MERSI visualisation are not available from David.

Must be a kepler issue although I am getting confirmation that the keplers are being updated. Back to the drawing board !!!

Hugo

Ian,

In the "Satellite Setup" window, in panel "TLE files" you must see at least one entry for the file "weather.txt". If you don't than you must add that file with the button "Add TLE file".
Clicking on that file will show all the satellites in that file. By selecting one of those satellites, the panel in the top right corner will show more details about the position and age of the TLE.
If the TLE is more than 8 days old than you should do an update TLE's.
Regards,

Hugo

Philip Robinson

Hi James
Can you help with this question in your own time
  I havent used data from FY3D before using EMETCastView.
Can you tell me the segment received directory.Would i create E1H-RDS-2 in the cast-client-channels_hvs-1.ini folder (I also tried using the details in the bas folder)  and i am sure i have permission from EUMETSat for that data but can you clarify what is the particular data you require from the EOPortal. I have also FENGYUN 3D ticked in EUMETCastview
I have tried various settings but i have no data in the received\ E1H-RDS-2 folder
When you have some time would you clarify those settings and permissions from EUMETSAT EOPortal please.
thanks
Philip

The button "Show All Segments" (if activated) shows all the segments received that day. When this button is NOT active than it shows a few segments that you can change with the scrollbar on the left of the 3D Globe.
The number of segments shown is indicated by the spin box "Show number of segments in satellite path" on the "Satellite Setup" screen.
This way you can visualize all the segments received by changing the scrollbar with the mouse( hold left mouse button).
Hope this helps ...

grts,

Hugo

James Brown

Hello Phillip,
This channel is available on HVS1 and you may find this channel guide a help:

And this one specifically for FY3

So you need to be subscribed to this via the portal and then include in your hvs channels ini.

All the best.

James

[...]

make sure you have an entry in your cast-client-channels_hvs-1.ini. Mine is:

# FY-3D, MERSI-2 (EARS)
[channel]
name=E1H-RDS-2
target_directory=/opt/E1H-RDS-2

This is GNU/Linux

Your target directory must point to C:\received\E1H-RDS-2

(no idea whether this is '/ 'or '\' in Windows ;-) )

There is a PyTROLL/Satpy script for this bird. Update the TLEs first.

Philip Robinson

Ernst
Had a good smile at that. / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ /.  I did have it set correctly in the cast-client-channels_hvs-1.ini, and i had already updated the TLE`s in EUMETCASTView. I will check later that i do have EARS MERSI 2 at my EOPortal. I thought i had.
thnx for the info.
So much to do with having to write an article as well for  GEO :-)))))
A joke as you guess, if i had better knowledge i would.
regards
Philip
Graham... I will check out those links you provided this evening too. Thanks as well

On Wed, Jan 5, 2022 at 06:50 AM, Philip Robinson wrote:
and i had already updated the TLE`s in EUMETCASTView.
Philip,

the Satpy script has it's own TLEs. There is a *.CMD file in /EMCtools/cmdfiles to do the job.

Philip Robinson

Hi
I am trying to retrieve mersi data but still failing. I am a bit mystified why i cannot. All settings seem to be correct.
1. I have permission from the portal for RDS-EARS-MERSI . I noticed that there wasnt  a service available for MERSI 2.
2. I added in my received\channels hvs-1.ini a new channel E1H-RDS-2 with correct target directory ( this is where i created the E1H-RDS-2 folder )

Now in EUMETCAStview application software.
1. In EUMETCASTview , I did an update TLE`s
2. I ticked the box FENGYUN3D
3 I added a directory in EUMETCASTview Segments directory ensuring it was the correct path to the E1H-RDS-2 folder, and the box to the left was ticked.
4. After reloading segments i do not get any data segments building up in the EUMETCASTVIEW Nbr.in dir

I triple checked the targets using correct \ slashes for windows  paths, and also made sure  the hvs-1 tellicast was receiving data. I checked the logs but there are no entries for E1H-RDS-2 files  but lots of other incoming files.

But   there are still no files in the E1H-RDS-2 ( I think i should be  having .HDF files) . Although i do have files in the E1H-TPG-1 andE1H-TPG-3 folders, so tellicast was receivng files through hvs-1 ok

I do have in EUMETCASTview  segment files from FengYun 2H and FengYun 2G ( they are received though, through received\BAS\Data Channel 12)

I am  bit mystified.
Could it  be me missing something.
 I havent seen any notice about the MERSI operating section of the FY-3D satellite being down.
The only idea i can think of, is that the portal at EUMETSAT should have a RDS-EARS-MERSI 2 service. But from what i can make out the RDS-EARS-MERSI service should be fine anyway

I am using Windows10

Any thoughts out there. I am a bit reluctant using SATpy until i am happy using it. But i haven't any downloaded data available, so i would still be stuck anyway.

regards
Philip

The button "Show All Segments" (if activated) shows all the segments received that day. When this button is NOT active than it shows a few segments that you can change with the scrollbar on the left of the 3D Globe.
The number of segments shown is indicated by the spin box "Show number of segments in satellite path" on the "Satellite Setup" screen.
This way you can visualize all the segments received by changing the scrollbar with the mouse( hold left mouse button).
Hope this helps ...

grts,

Hugo

Philip,

that's what I have in EOP

Regional Data Services
  • RDS-EARS
    • EARS-AVHRR
    • EARS-ASCAT
    • EARS-VIIRS
    • EARS-MERSI

As you find in my FY-3D.py PyTROLL/Satpy script header the files you should get look like:
# File Pattern : {platform_shortname}_{start_time:%Y%m%d_%H%M%S}_{end_time:%H%M%S}_{orbit_number:s}_MERSI_1000M_L1B.{ext}
# File Pattern : {platform_shortname}_{start_time:%Y%m%d_%H%M%S}_{end_time:%H%M%S}_{orbit_number:s}_MERSI_GEO1K_L1B.{ext}
# Example name : FY3D_20200429_011200_011300_12719_MERSI_1000M_L1B.HDF
# Example name : FY3D_20200429_011200_011300_12719_MERSI_GEO1K_L1B.HDF
# Hugo's ruler : 0123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012
# copied EMCV  : 0         1         2         3         4         5         6         7         8         9         10

Hope that helps,

On Wed, Jan 5, 2022 at 04:32 PM, Philip Robinson wrote:
2. I added in my received\channels hvs-1.ini a new channel E1H-RDS-2 with correct target directory ( this is where i created the E1H-RDS-2 folder )
Philip,

you do not have a  "received\channels hvs-1.ini" but a "cast-client-channels_hvs-1.ini" somewhere (you have to be precise here as well). And if this file does have a correct entry for E1H-RDS-2 you do not have to add a folder in your received subdirectory. The Tellicast Client will make that directory automatically. So either you do not receive the FY-3D files at all. This you can check in a verbose log of the HVS-1 client. Or your client cannot write to the directory you made for possible permission problems (e.g. if you made the directory as admin and the client runs as unprivileged user).

P.S.  MERSI-2, the 2 is just the version of the MERSI instrument, nothing that you find in EOP. Envisat had an instrument named MERIS, just to add some confusion ... :-)