Topics

FY-3D

Douglas Deans

On 22/10/2020 20:06, Douglas Deans via groups.io wrote:
On 22/10/2020 15:21, Graham Woolf wrote:
Hi Douglas

That was my plan yes - Im not sure how the files get moved across but I will sort that out at some stage

Re the issue i asked you about with missing data on VIIRS,NOAA20 and FY3D I emailed OPS and got the following reply

Dear Graham Woolf,

We do not see any problem with the data and we are also not aware of problems with SNPP VIIRS, NOAA20 or FY3D.

The files you mentioned are this type:

SVMC_npp_d20201021_t0012197_e0013439_b46544_c20201021002140000768_eum_ops.h5

and

SVMC_j01_d20201021_t1053534_e1055161_b15154_c20201021110350000946_eum_ops.h5

Could you please send us the tellicast log files (recv_bas.log and recv_hvs-1.log) in order to check all the files  were disseminated via EUMETCast?

We hope you have the tellicast log files in verbose mode.

Unfortunately I dont run in verbose mode

Regards

Graham
Graham that report from Eumetsat seems to be quite incorrect.
FY3D data over the UK has been missing for months and recently NPP and NOAA 20 are having similar issues.
I have checked and the files for the time frames concerned are not there.
I will change my log to Verbose and see what it shows.
I am in the middle of decorating at the moment and with 2 arthritic knees and a hernia it is taking rather longer than usual !!
Once I get all the evidence for one day I will contact OPS.
Just checked my FY-3D files for today and the pass to the west of the uk has 1 minute files starting 13.49 up to 14.02 which starts in Africa and just includes the very south of the UK. The next file is 15.32 on the next pass. So most of the UK and north missing completely.

If anyone else can check their files that would be helpful.
Files are typically :-

FY3D_20201022_140200_140300_15223_MERSI_1000M_L1B.HDF

There are also similar location files for each time sector.

 On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 12:26 PM, Douglas Deans wrote:
f anyone else can check their files that would be helpful.
Files are typically :-
Douglas

I can confirm to have received the files with gaps you are talking about. I have not checked their location though ...

Ernst

Douglas Deans

 On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 12:26 PM, Douglas Deans wrote:
f anyone else can check their files that would be helpful.
Files are typically :-
Douglas
I can confirm to have received the files with gaps you are talking about. I have not checked their location though ...

Thanks Ernst so that is 3 of us seeing missing files. Think Eumetsat need to re-check this.
The previous pass also had problems.

When time allows I will try and document a day (including verbose log file) and present the data to Eumetsat.
Will concentrate on FY-3D for the moment but NOAA 20 and NPP have some issues as well. Don't they all transmit in the 7800 MHz band.

Graham Woolf

Hi Douglas

I still think there is a problem

I had a near perfect NOAA20 night pass apart from one segment again over the UK (see screenshot)

Did you see the same thing ?

It cant be coincidence that this is happening every day

Hugo

Hi Graham,

I see the same thing ...and this is going on for at least a few days ....

Kind regards,

Hugo

Ian Deans

Just checked my FY-3D files for today and the pass to the west of the uk has 1 minute files starting 13.49 up to 14.02 which starts in Africa and just includes the very south of the UK. The next file is 15.32 on the next pass. So most of the UK and north missing completely.
If anyone else can check their files that would be helpful.
Files are typically :-
FY3D_20201022_140200_140300_15223_MERSI_1000M_L1B.HDF
There are also similar location files for each time sector.

Spare a thought for us Windows guys, we do not have any program that can even visualise FY3D ---- our gap is total !!!!!

Graham Woolf

Hi Ian

Thats not strictly true !!

I am running Windows 10 and am using python with some scripts very kindly supplied by Ernst - Douglas has done the same

It was a bit of a learning curve but well worth it

Regards

Graham

Ian Deans

On 23/10/2020 10:29, Graham Woolf wrote:
Hi Ian
Thats not strictly true !!
I am running Windows 10 and am using python with some scripts very kindly supplied by Ernst - Douglas has done the same
It was a bit of a learning curve but well worth it
Regards
Graham

I had a look at that Graham, but it was way beyond my expertise.

Graham Woolf

Hi Ian

I thought that as well but if you follow Ernst's very thorough walk-through on how to install python then its just a case of adapting his python scripts to fit in with your own system

All you need to change is to point the files to where you have stored your raw data

Regards

Graham

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

Spare a thought for us Windows guys, we do not have any program that can
even visualise FY3D ---- our gap is total !!!!!

===========================

Ian,

Maybe the HDF4/5 official viewer software would work, or EUMETCastView?

I don't take those files, so if you could send me a sample around local noon I can take a look. No promises, mind!

Douglas Deans

On 23/10/2020 10:17, Ian Deans via groups.io wrote:

Just checked my FY-3D files for today and the pass to the west of the uk has 1 minute files starting 13.49 up to 14.02 which starts in Africa and just includes the very south of the UK. The next file is 15.32 on the next pass. So most of the UK and north missing completely.

If anyone else can check their files that would be helpful.
Files are typically :-

FY3D_20201022_140200_140300_15223_MERSI_1000M_L1B.HDF

There are also similar location files for each time sector.
Spare a thought for us Windows guys, we do not have any program that can even visualise FY3D ---- our gap is total !!!!!

Hugo has added FY-3D to EUMETCASTView but at the moment only the Linux version. He did tell me some time ago that he hopes to compile a new Windows version. I don't know if that is still the plan... but I hope so.

john.haslam4@...

For me the problem started on 12th October and affects both SUOMI-NPP and NOAA 20 ascending and descending passes between 50N and 60N; at the moment I do not receive FY-3D
I emailed OPS and they informed me that they were not aware of any anomalies in the data. I have sent them my verbose logfiles and copies of the H5 segment files associated with today's descending SUOMI-NPP pass about 10E of the UK as delivered by Tellicast.
Interestingly the HF file  associated with the missing lines is always significantly smaller than its neighbours.
I have got Python working for GOES 16 under Windows 10 thanks to Ernst's guide. Hope to move on to polar orbiters soon.

Best Rgds

John

Ian Deans

On 23/10/2020 13:56, David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴 🇪🇺 via groups.io wrote:
Spare a thought for us Windows guys, we do not have any program that can
even visualise FY3D ---- our gap is total !!!!!
===========================
Ian,
Maybe the HDF4/5 official viewer software would work, or EUMETCastView?
I don't take those files, so if you could send me a sample around local noon I can take a look.  No promises, mind!

The official HDF4/5 does not work for FY3D and as Douglas has confirmed EUMETCastView has not been updated for Windows for FY3D

As neither of these programs work I will assume there is little point in sending any files.

Many thanks for your offer of help.

All

This is for the problem of FY3D not imaging the U.K.. It's received under GNU/Linux, SAMBA shared and processed
with PyTROLL/SatPy under Windows 10. FY3D is an afternoon sat heading north. I attach the image and the files
that show that I had no packet lost, no file lost. This can be used in discussions with OPS that sees no problems.
The image should have the Isle of Man close to the pass "center": So about half of the expected pass is missing!

Cheers
Ernst

Graham Woolf

Hi all

This mirrors what I am seeing - I havent had a complete image since the 11th Oct

Douglas - are you happy to liaise with OPS  ?

Regards

Graham

The official HDF4/5 does not work for FY3D and as Douglas has confirmed
EUMETCastView has not been updated for Windows for FY3D

As neither of these programs work I will assume there is little point in
sending any files.

Many thanks for your offer of help.

==============================

Ian,

All my work with HDF-5 is from scratch, so I was wandering whether I could at least read the files and produce an image. That's why I asked.

However, even if the official HDF-5 reader can't read the files it suggests they are not in strict HDF-5 format! I thought that was why all the new data was moving to HDF-5 as everyone could read it!

The official HDF4/5 does not work for FY3D and as Douglas has confirmed
EUMETCastView has not been updated for Windows for FY3D

As neither of these programs work I will assume there is little point in
sending any files.

Many thanks for your offer of help.

=========================

Ian,

Remember that Windows now has a built-in subsystem for Linux, so perhaps that may be the best route?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install-win10

It's relatively easy to install. Then you can have the best of both worlds!

Douglas Deans

All
This is for the problem of FY3D not imaging the U.K.. It's received under GNU/Linux, SAMBA shared and processed
with PyTROLL/SatPy under Windows 10. FY3D is an afternoon sat heading north. I attach the image and the files
that show that I had no packet lost, no file lost. This can be used in discussions with OPS that sees no problems.
The image should have the Isle of Man close to the pass "center": So about half of the expected pass is missing!
Cheers

That is exactly as I get Ernst. In fact for months prior to that scenario there was a version with just a band across the UK missing and some files for further north.
This has been an issue for a while.

Douglas Deans

On 23/10/2020 18:24, Graham Woolf wrote:
Hi all
This mirrors what I am seeing - I havent had a complete image since the 11th Oct
Douglas - are you happy to liaise with OPS  ?
Regards
Graham

Yes but not just yet as I am very busy at the moment (decorating a room that needs to get back in use !).
I look forward to seeing what Eumetsat say about the NPP, NOAA 20 issues that John has written to them about and sent verbose log files etc.
I am also hoping that they may check some things as they monitor the MSG-1 group although probably not over the weekend.

Will keep in touch.

R. Alblas

Can someone give me "some way" (e.g. wetransfer) a FY3D file? I can't receive that right now; want to try this with xrit2pic.

Regards,
Rob.