Topics

FSD

Douglas Deans <douglas@...>

The first 21.00 (GOES 9) are the same as the 18.00 using the new file naming
convention.

I wouldn't waste programming time, David, until you get a definitive answer
on this from Eumetsat.

Douglas.

David J Taylor

--- In MSG-1@..., "Douglas Deans" <douglas@d...> wrote:
The first 21.00 (GOES 9) are the same as the 18.00 using the new
file naming convention.

I wouldn't waste programming time, David, until you get a
definitive answer on this from Eumetsat.

Douglas.
Well, I couldn't let my users down, could I?

However, changing the program to recongnise those file names has
revealed that the images are incorrect. They appear offset to the
west, and the left and right parts of the image appear different. I
don't believe this is due to the program. I also notice a higher
rate of missing segments (on the MSG-1 HRIT/LRIT data) that I would
expect due to weather effects, so I would not put this one down to
my program.

I'll put the beta up on the Web site so you can see what I mean.

Is anyone else seeing a higher-than-expected missing segment rate?
(You can check today's data with the Tools, Missing segments
report... if you change the date).

Luca Bertagnolio <lucaberta@...>

Didn't they say that on the 24th there was some ground segment
maintenance work to be done? I hope it's more than changing the
filename of the FSD data! :-)

Luca

--- In MSG-1@..., "David Taylor" <david-taylor@b...>
wrote:
Is anyone else seeing a higher-than-expected missing segment rate?

Alan Sewards <alan.sewards@...>

Apropos of this, Eumetsat don't seem to be making any (or much) use of the
Messages capability in the MSG dissemination. What messages there are are
usually out of date, the standard one in the Admin Messages could as well be
in the Timetable section, and there is rarely if ever any News. I get the
impression either that it is difficult to insert these messages, or that the
mode of operation does not include sending out information via them. Be nice
if someone thought about this!

Best regards - Alan

Apropos of this, Eumetsat don't seem to be making any (or much) use of the
Messages capability in the MSG dissemination. What messages there are are
usually out of date, the standard one in the Admin Messages could as well
be
in the Timetable section, and there is rarely if ever any News. I get the
impression either that it is difficult to insert these messages, or that
the
mode of operation does not include sending out information via them. Be
nice
if someone thought about this!

Best regards - Alan
To be fair Eumetsat have a relatively small team working on this and I
suspect when they have some busy days (such as Monday and Tuesday) admin
comes second .... it is a trial and does not carry the importance (and
probably staffing) required by the 3 operational satellites.
But you are right the admin is helpful as we are also fine tuning our
systems and wondering if it us or them !

David J Taylor

--- In MSG-1@..., "Luca Bertagnolio" <lucaberta@y...>
wrote:
Didn't they say that on the 24th there was some ground segment
maintenance work to be done? I hope it's more than changing the
filename of the FSD data! :-)

Luca
Yes, and it is clear that the changes made (to hardware and
software, I understand) did not go as planned, and some unforeseen
complications have arisen. Eumetsat are looking at this problem at
the moment, but FSD has stopped until the problems are resolved.

It may be that NEWS messages telling us about the issues aren't
getting to us for some reason. Please remember this is still the
trial period.

Why I am seeing a greater than normal number of missing segments is
unknown!

Alan Sewards <alan.sewards@...>

I have seen the postings regarding the lack of FSD imagery but I have also
not received any LRIT since the morning of Sept 22nd. Is this general? I ask
because I changed machines that morning and had to move the receiver card,
DVB software, tellqiue software and the rest, so there were plenty of
opportunities for things to go wrong at my end! Isn't it strange how things
tend to go broke at the sending end when one is making changes at the
receiving end!

Regarding Douglas' comments below, I appreciate that the OPS office is
likely pressed, but email is not the best method for letting people know on
a continuing basis, particularly when one has a 24/7 satellite channel at
one's disposal. Because I have only a dial-up Internet connection, I usually
only collect email twice a day, whereas I can click on the MDM Messages tab
anytime during the day if I suspect things have gone awry.

Best regards - Alan

--- In MSG-1@..., "Alan Sewards" <alan.sewards@c...>
wrote:
I have seen the postings regarding the lack of FSD imagery but I
have also not received any LRIT since the morning of Sept 22nd. Is
this general?

No, LRIT has been coming in here.
Check that you have the PID for LRIT added: decimal 301

Regarding Douglas' comments below, I appreciate that the OPS
office is likely pressed, but email is not the best method for
letting people know on a continuing basis, particularly when one has
a 24/7 satellite channel at one's disposal.

They _are_ using the satellite, but had a fault which was preventing
the messages getting through! Arrgh!

Alan Sewards <alan.sewards@...>

Sorry about my last posting - I had omitted to include the special PID for
LRIT when setting up the Technisat software on the new machine!
Best regards - Alan

Alan Sewards
email: alan.sewards@...
web site: http://asewards.free.fr

wrote:
Sorry about my last posting - I had omitted to include the special
PID for LRIT when setting up the Technisat software on the new
machine!
Best regards - Alan
It just goes the highlight the need for care when setting up these
systems, and actually reading the instructions! Now, where did I
put the instructions......